Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Dorion picks typical shit players in White or Pinto and thinks he is smarter than every scout on a planet. The players with no upside will always be the players with no upside. Norris is absolutely the same typical player as White, so is Batherson and Tkachuk. Dorion did not draft even ONE top six player outside of Stutzle. We will see the same shit Yashin went through, where there was absolutely zero talent around him. Until the changes were made in a head office. The only player with upside in the system is Sokolov. It is a matter now , if he will improve his skating as Stone did, or not. It is a gloom and doom really for years to come.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Dorion picks typical shit players in White

A bit harsh … but I agree.

I think the club has learned from a few early mistakes and has improved drafting the last few years.

Brady/Chabot are the clubs only first round pick or 1RD acquisitions to contribute any playoff worthy play since the 2015 Chabot/White draft.

That’s 2/13 1RD talent contributing good play in the lineup since 2015 with Bowers, Logan, Brann, White, Thomson, JBD, Sanderson, Jimmy, Norris, Greig, Boucher etc … Hopefully more coming.

If we get good play out of 8/13 of those players we should be okay.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Dorion picks typical shit players in White or Pinto and thinks he is smarter than every scout on a planet. The players with no upside will always be the players with no upside. Norris is absolutely the same typical player as White, so is Batherson and Tkachuk. Dorion did not draft even ONE top six player outside of Stutzle. We will see the same shit Yashin went through, where there was absolutely zero talent around him. Until the changes were made in a head office. The only player with upside in the system is Sokolov. It is a matter now , if he will improve his skating as Stone did, or not. It is a gloom and doom really for years to come.
Do you think you’re smarter than everyone else?

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

Wait, so the 1st round pick who played outstanding as a rookie 1st line centre is a typical shit player but the twice undrafted player is the only upside player???? This post is satire and its going over my head, right?

Blacephalon

Oct 12, 2018
Wat

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Serious question.

Why are you a fan of this team?

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Pretty sure that's a troll post there. Doubt it's serious. However, there is a grain of truth in that PD and current scout team don't focus enough on high end talent and skill, and value grit and safe picks too much. There needs to be an adjustment in the drafting philosophy to go after high risk, high reward players with potentially high offensive ceiling if they pan out of us. We have enough depth and hard-nosed middle of the pack type prospects in the system to take those gambles. I was advocating they do that starting with this recent draft, but they went completely in the opposite direction unfortunately. This would have been the perfect year to take some ch

Reactions: Sicko

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pretty sure that's a troll post there. Doubt it's serious. However, there is a grain of truth in that PD and current scout team don't focus enough on high end talent and skill, and value grit and safe picks too much. There needs to be an adjustment in the drafting philosophy to go after high risk, high reward players with potentially high offensive ceiling if they pan out of us. We have enough depth and hard-nosed middle of the pack type prospects in the system to take those gambles. I was advocating they do that starting with this recent draft, but they went completely in the opposite direction unfortunately. This would have been the perfect year to take some ch

They don’t actually do what you to think, and you have no idea about the players they drafted this year.

All forwards drafted have high end boom potential, including Boucher who comes with an already elite physical play package.

Since we already know that junior scoring doesn’t directly transfer to the NHL, it’s foolish to write off our picks as guys that don’t project to have high end scoring skills.

Jarventie and Sokolov are two example of players we drafted just last year who have high end NHL scoring potential. Tompson also possessed an NHL level bomb from the back end.

Just because the team values character doesn’t mean that they don’t value skill. Consider that guys with high character are more likely to reach high level NHL potential over guys who put up mad goals in junior alone.

I don’t think they have to change their strategy at all, in fact since Trent has taken over we have been pretty much knocking the draft out of the park in the grit and skill sides of things for both forwards, defence, and goalies.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
They don’t actually do what you to think, and you have no idea about the players they drafted this year.

All forwards drafted have high end boom potential, including Boucher who comes with an already elite physical play package.

Since we already know that junior scoring doesn’t directly transfer to the NHL, it’s foolish to write off our picks as guys that don’t project to have high end scoring skills.

Jarventie and Sokolov are two example of players we drafted just last year who have high end NHL scoring potential. Tompson also possessed an NHL level bomb from the back end.

Just because the team values character doesn’t mean that they don’t value skill. Consider that guys with high character are more likely to reach high level NHL potential over guys who put up mad goals in junior alone.

I don’t think they have to change their strategy at all, in fact since Trent has taken over we have been pretty much knocking the draft out of the park in the grit and skill sides of things for both forwards, defence, and goalies.

I disagree with this quite a bit. Jarventie is the one and only real example that fits the mold of what I was referring to. He is a high risk/high reward type prospect that an excellent set of skills in strong skating, shooting and decent handling and agility, but has not been able to put it together into a complete package by the time he was drafted. If he manages to work on his motor, and put his tools together, I see a chance of him becoming a high offensive weapon in the NHL. Granted it's a long shot, and his determination/willingness to put in the work to get there is a questions mark, but the potential and underlying talents are there. Sokolov doesn't have that, he was drafted as as scorer back then with serious skating issues, that made his probably at the time of becoming even a bottom NHLer questionable. He since has improved that part of this game, but still not enough to consider him a potential elite winger. His main advantage in scoring was his ability to manhandle the competition as an overager and a 6'4'' 240lb beast that had a great shot. But he doesn't have the raw overall talent to be an elite forward. Only the Jarventie pick did/does, and I'd like to see a little of them taken a chance on in the drafts from now on. No more average skill but high character guys please, we need to find our Brayden Point now.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I disagree with this quite a bit. Jarventie is the one and only real example that fits the mold of what I was referring to. He is a high risk/high reward type prospect that an excellent set of skills in strong skating, shooting and decent handling and agility, but has not been able to put it together into a complete package by the time he was drafted. If he manages to work on his motor, and put his tools together, I see a chance of him becoming a high offensive weapon in the NHL. Granted it's a long shot, and his determination/willingness to put in the work to get there is a questions mark, but the potential and underlying talents are there. Sokolov doesn't have that, he was drafted as as scorer back then with serious skating issues, that made his probably at the time of becoming even a bottom NHLer questionable. He since has improved that part of this game, but still not enough to consider him a potential elite winger. His main advantage in scoring was his ability to manhandle the competition as an overager and a 6'4'' 240lb beast that had a great shot. But he doesn't have the raw overall talent to be an elite forward. Only the Jarventie pick did/does, and I'd like to see a little of them taken a chance on in the drafts from now on. No more average skill but high character guys please, we need to find our Brayden Point now.

For every Brayden Point, there are many many misses. I don’t particularly agree with the Sens never drafting smaller players, especially forwards, or anyone out of Russia for that matter, because I don’t think it’s smart to put limitations on yourself but the strategy of only picking high skill guys makes no sense to me. I’d hate to miss out on “low ceiling” players like Pinto, Formenton, Sokolov and whoever else to take 50 shots at Brayden Point only to never find him.

Last year the Sens took Jarventie, this year they took Johansson, in 2019 they took Lodin and 2017 they got Batherson. The Sens seem to go for one high skill guy with boom or bust potential a year which is fine with me. Elite talent is hard to find but so are shutdown D, two-way centremen and number one goalies. It’s important to look for everything.

Sokolov is pretty skilled. I’m not sure how fair it is to expect the Sens to find higher talent levels at 61 overall. He has the potential to put up a lot of points and score a lot of goals.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I’m happy to agree to disagree, it’s all good.

Personally I think Sokolov is absolutely a boom/bust pick, along with Brown, Johansson, etc…

We take calculated fliers every year, but the goal of course is to draft NHL players.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
For every Brayden Point, there are many many misses. I don’t particularly agree with the Sens never drafting smaller players, especially forwards, or anyone out of Russia for that matter, because I don’t think it’s smart to put limitations on yourself but the strategy of only picking high skill guys makes no sense to me. I’d hate to miss out on “low ceiling” players like Pinto, Formenton, Sokolov and whoever else to take 50 shots at Brayden Point only to never find him.

Last year the Sens took Jarventie, this year they took Johansson, in 2019 they took Lodin and 2017 they got Batherson. The Sens seem to go for one high skill guy with boom or bust potential a year which is fine with me. Elite talent is hard to find but so are shutdown D, two-way centremen and number one goalies. It’s important to look for everything.

Sokolov is pretty skilled. I’m not sure how fair it is to expect the Sens to find higher talent levels at 61 overall. He has the potential to put up a lot of points and score a lot of goals.

Agreed with most of your points here, except for the fact that its fine they only go after 1 skilled type of boom/bust prospect (if that at all, I only consider Jarventie to fit that bill). My argument is they should go after more at this point, my whole point is that we are already very stocked on those "low ceiling" type players at every position now, we're set in that regards and we'll always have a decent chance at picking 1 or 2 of those up at every draft. But we're too shallow now on skilled players, and yes they have a much lower hit rate obviously with those type of prospects, hence the "more risky" label, which is why I'd like the Sens to take more of them to increase the chance that of at least one does eventually hit. Because that one hit can literally be the game breaking high offensive talent that is critically missing from our talent pool at the moment, it needs to be a priority, particularly with us dropping in the draft pool order going forward, it should've been a priority in this year's draft, I'm not sure we'll draft in the top 10 anytime soon again.

We've got an abundance of mid-level talent, probably too many after this draft, we'll probably have to ship some out soon. I'd like them to go for more risky players from now on rather than safe low ceiling type guys. That's what I was hoping for for this draft and the ones going forward, we need more skills and talent, and less gritty low skilled players. There has to be an adjustment in drafting philosophy going forward to put more emphasis on skill, we have the nard-nosed tough to play against guys covered already. We need to start taking chances on high ceiling players, because we're definitely not getting those type of guys after they break out in UFA, we have to draft them.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think team management would disagree on the premise that they don't draft skill.

If the idea is to build a winning team and they have identified that they want speed and size with high compete that doesn't preclude skill.

Batherson, Norris (L Brown and Forms too) both lit up the AHL as rookies and you don't do that without having skill. Sokolov looked good in his pro debut season.

Stützle is obviously crazy skilled, so is Chabot...Brann has loads of skill too.

Add in Sanderson (Pinto?) and we have a good mix already with young talent that could bust out/surprise.

Overall I get the desire for high end scoring but disagree the org is identifying those players and intentionally skipping them in favour of lesser players.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Agreed with most of your points here, except for the fact that its fine they only go after 1 skilled type of boom/bust prospect (if that at all, I only consider Jarventie to fit that bill). My argument is they should go after more at this point, my whole point is that we are already very stocked on those "low ceiling" type players at every position now, we're set in that regards and we'll always have a decent chance at picking 1 or 2 of those up at every draft. But we're too shallow now on skilled players, and yes they have a much lower hit rate obviously with those type of prospects, hence the "more risky" label, which is why I'd like the Sens to take more of them to increase the chance that of at least one does eventually hit. Because that one hit can literally be the game breaking high offensive talent that is critically missing from our talent pool at the moment, it needs to be a priority, particularly with us dropping in the draft pool order going forward, it should've been a priority in this year's draft, I'm not sure we'll draft in the top 10 anytime soon again.

We've got an abundance of mid-level talent, probably too many after this draft, we'll probably have to ship some out soon. I'd like them to go for more risky players from now on rather than safe low ceiling type guys. That's what I was hoping for for this draft and the ones going forward, we need more skills and talent, and less gritty low skilled players. There has to be an adjustment in drafting philosophy going forward to put more emphasis on skill, we have the nard-nosed tough to play against guys covered already. We need to start taking chances on high ceiling players, because we're definitely not getting those type of guys after they break out in UFA, we have to draft them.

I see your point but the players were drafting this year and beyond are unlikely to be part of our team until 4-5 years from now (except maybe Boucher). Those picks generally take longer and now we have to consider these guys missed a lot of their development time, and I think given our budget, it’s actually even more important to find role players in the draft because we simply can’t afford to overpay and eventually these players will price themselves out. Let’s say Carson Latimer becomes a 3rd liner who can PK and shut down lines but also has a scoring touch - that means you’re ok to lose a guy that does that when he inevitably needs 4.5-5 million dollars. These are the kinds of moves that allow you to keep your stars and build around them.

I guess I’m just not of the belief that the Sens should change their entire draft philosophy to find one high-end talent. Take a swing with next years first and call it a day if that’s the hope - I’m all for that. But the Sens do phenomenal work in the later rounds and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think team management would disagree on the premise that they don't draft skill.

If the idea is to build a winning team and they have identified that they want speed and size with high compete that doesn't preclude skill.

Batherson, Norris (L Brown and Forms too) both lit up the AHL as rookies and you don't do that without having skill. Sokolov looked good in his pro debut season.

Stützle is obviously crazy skilled, so is Chabot...Brann has loads of skill too.

Add in Sanderson (Pinto?) and we have a good mix already with young talent that could bust out/surprise.

Overall I get the desire for high end scoring but disagree the org is identifying those players and intentionally skipping them in favour of lesser players.

I agree with this as well and Dorion said as much. The Sens like guys with untapped offensive potential, which sometimes leads people to believe that they don’t have skill (see Tkachuk, Pinto, Sanderson, Greig, Boucher) but from what I have seen so far they seem to be right about the untapped part more often than not. Sometimes they miss but that’s normal.

I don’t think we need more skill as a whole, I think we need a 1C with elite skill. It seems odd to shift your entire draft strategy for one player.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree with this as well and Dorion said as much. The Sens like guys with untapped offensive potential, which sometimes leads people to believe that they don’t have skill (see Tkachuk, Pinto, Sanderson, Greig, Boucher) but from what I have seen so far they seem to be right about the untapped part more often than not. Sometimes they miss but that’s normal.

I don’t think we need more skill as a whole, I think we need a 1C with elite skill. It seems odd to shift your entire draft strategy for one player.

Agreed. I mean I think the guy people want us to find in the draft is a guy that you draft top 3 and there is no reach needed.

Reactions: PlayOn

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I see your point but the players were drafting this year and beyond are unlikely to be part of our team until 4-5 years from now (except maybe Boucher). Those picks generally take longer and now we have to consider these guys missed a lot of their development time, and I think given our budget, it’s actually even more important to find role players in the draft because we simply can’t afford to overpay and eventually these players will price themselves out. Let’s say Carson Latimer becomes a 3rd liner who can PK and shut down lines but also has a scoring touch - that means you’re ok to lose a guy that does that when he inevitably needs 4.5-5 million dollars. These are the kinds of moves that allow you to keep your stars and build around them.

I guess I’m just not of the belief that the Sens should change their entire draft philosophy to find one high-end talent. Take a swing with next years first and call it a day if that’s the hope - I’m all for that. But the Sens do phenomenal work in the later rounds and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

That's exactly it, they wont be ready for at least 3 years, that's why we need to start drafting them now. I don't see us as real contenders for at least 3-4 years from now either (not just a playoff team, an actual contender for a deep cup run), that should be when our window opens, and hopefully stays open for 5-7 years afterwards if the team is managed properly. This is why we need to start drafting those high risk picks now, if they hit, they'll be able to contribute to the team in 3-4 years when we're in our window and help put us over the top. We've got the foundational pieces in place, we're just missing 1-3 top end pieces in the front and D and we should have as a legitimate chance at a cup. We've went through a hard rebuild the last 4 years, I'd love a team that's built to contend and not just make the playoffs, and I see a couple high end talent pieces being our biggest deficiency right now to round out our current crop and make us a very competitive cup team. That's my thought process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad