Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

Crookshank

Brandon
Apr 18, 2021
I posted this in the prospects thread but I also thought it was worthwhile to post here as well. I created this series of Shifts & Clips to share some extended footage of some of the Sens prospects. This is the 2nd video in this series. Check out some of Sokolov's best moments from this season.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What do we do with this guy if he a top 9 RW out of camp?

Say he and Logan tear up camp?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What do we do with this guy if he a top 9 RW out of camp?

Say he and Logan tear up camp?
History suggests we send Sokolov down after a 9 game trial if we have suitable guys for the roles on one way deals, we can try and arrange a trade or wait for an injury to get him into the lineup, but if we simply don't have the bodies he'll play with the big club all year.

I think Logan sticks regardless, he isn't waiver exempt so they'll want to give him ever opportunity to prove himself prior to waiving him. That is of course assuming he isn't traded first.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sokolov is not NHL ready yet., He needs more time. He made really good strides last year but needs to round out his game. I would be patient and bring him up when he can play both ends of the ice.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
History suggests we send Sokolov down after a 9 game trial if we have suitable guys for the roles on one way deals, we can try and arrange a trade or wait for an injury to get him into the lineup, but if we simply don't have the bodies he'll play with the big club all year.

I think Logan sticks regardless, he isn't waiver exempt so they'll want to give him ever opportunity to prove himself prior to waiving him. That is of course assuming he isn't traded first.

I agree … this org isn’t likely to force a young player in … but there will be noise if he is leading the preseason in scoring. I think he can play an unlimited number of games so it could become a story.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They have Batherson, C. Brown & Watson at RW, that isn't going to change this coming season & they just need to find that one extra RWer. It will all come down to who starts at centre IMO. They actually have two centers who are right shots who could be moved to RW in White & Pinto & it wouldn't surprise me if either one gets moved temporarily until they get the centre spot figured out. Given they protected L. Brown & that he is not waiver exempt I would assume that they will want to give him an opportunity to make this team at centre or look to move him at some point. He's an attractive package of size & skill, but he's also another guy with character issues.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - L. Brown - Pinto
Paul - White - C. Brown
Formenton - Tierny - Watson

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
They have Batherson, C. Brown & Watson at RW, that isn't going to change this coming season & they just need to find that one extra RWer. It will all come down to who starts at centre IMO. They actually have two centers who are right shots who could be moved to RW in White & Pinto & it wouldn't surprise me if either one gets moved temporarily until they get the centre spot figured out. Given they protected L. Brown & that he is not waiver exempt I would assume that they will want to give him an opportunity to make this team at centre or look to move him at some point. He's an attractive package of size & skill, but he's also another guy with character issues.

Paul - White - C. Brown

Pinto is starting at Centre next year unless he comes into camp looking completely lost. White is who you move to RW to provide "veteran" leadership, also he has a good shot for a setup man like Logan Brown. I also think Paul and Formenton could switch spots to give Logan someone he's played with a bit more or to give the line a bit more speed.

Stützle - Pinto - C. Brown
Paul - L. Brown - White

I personally think Logan is going to have to compete against Ridly Greig for that third Centre spot. He should win that competition but if he doesn't I dont see Greig being up for more than 9 games with Logan in the press box. It's likey that this is the lineup until the TDL when Tierney gets moved. After the TDL White moves back to C and Sokolov comes up.

This is all barring injury or a trade.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pinto is starting at Centre next year unless he comes into camp looking completely lost. White is who you move to RW to provide "veteran" leadership, also he has a good shot for a setup man like Logan Brown. I also think Paul and Formenton could switch spots to give Logan someone he's played with a bit more or to give the line a bit more speed.

Paul - L. Brown - White

I personally think Logan is going to have to compete against Ridly Greig for that third Centre spot. He should win that competition but if he doesn't I dont see Greig being up for more than 9 games with Logan in the press box. It's likey that this is the lineup until the TDL when Tierney gets moved. After the TDL White moves back to C and Sokolov comes up.

I'm a big fan of Greig, but he said he's just under 170 right now, and even if he adds 5 pounds or whatever before the start of the year, that's likely too small to stand up to the NHL grind. Give him another year of Junior to add some strength and weight to his frame, he'll be better for it long term. Kid still hasn't turned 19, lots of time left.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I'm a big fan of Greig, but he said he's just under 170 right now, and even if he adds 5 pounds or whatever before the start of the year, that's likely too small to stand up to the NHL grind. Give him another year of Junior to add some strength and weight to his frame, he'll be better for it long term. Kid still hasn't turned 19, lots of time left.

I agree completely. This was the main thought behind saying in my comment that he shouldnt be up for more than 9 games. I could see the Sens giving him a taste of the NHL if he impresses in camp but he does not seem physically ready for the NHL full time.

Sokolov is older and more physically mature and should play more NHL games this season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sokolov is not NHL ready yet., He needs more time. He made really good strides last year but needs to round out his game. I would be patient and bring him up when he can play both ends of the ice.

Agreed. He must be able to keep up with the play.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Paul - L. Brown - White

The lineup looks OK to me but I would like to see a big physical mean fast center replacing Tierney. I don't want any more old declining vets taking away the younger players' ice time.

Paul - L. Brown - White

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The lineup looks OK to me but I would like to see a big physical mean fast center replacing Tierney. I don't want any more old declining vets taking away the younger players' ice time.

Paul - L. Brown - White

The only unfortunate part is you put L.Brown in a weird position to almost fail with no one to pass to who can bury it (I like Paul a lot, don't get me wrong).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The only unfortunate part is you put L.Brown in a weird position to almost fail with no one to pass to who can bury it (I like Paul a lot, don't get me wrong).

Yes, I feel the same way as you. I would like to move Formenton up to that line replacing White at RW to add more speed to that line. Move White to 4th line.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Paul - White - C. Brown

It’s a joke to play White at Center and Pinto at wing …

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yes, I feel the same way as you. I would like to move Formenton up to that line replacing White at RW to add more speed to that line. Move White to 4th line.

I agree… solid 4th line player there.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I was thinking that. Or something like that anyway. White should have to play himself up the lineup - and I think he's capable, but probably not great offensively...ever sadly.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Paul - L. Brown - White

You may be right & I initially had White there on the 3rd line at RW, but I can't help myself sometimes, I seem to think Pinto would be good on RW & they need someone who can score with that big shot there & L. Brown can feed him the puck.

Everything else I agree with including it could be White at RW, that is if L. Brown is still here & attends training camp, if not, I assume White goes back to centering the 3rd line & they look to someone else to fill in that 3rd line RW spot. Once Tierny is gone I hope they give Paul a shot at that 4th line centre spot.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You may be right & I initially had White there on the 3rd line at RW, but I can't help myself sometimes, I seem to think Pinto would be good on RW & they need someone who can score with that big shot there & L. Brown can feed him the puck.

Everything else I agree with including it could be White at RW, that is if L. Brown is still here & attends training camp, if not, I assume White goes back to centering the 3rd line & they look to someone else to fill in that 3rd line RW spot. Once Tierny is gone I hope they give Paul a shot at that 4th line centre spot.

Nick Paul is a) too good for 4th line and b) a UFA next year … he’s not our 4C of the future.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nick Paul is a) too good for 4th line and b) a UFA next year … he’s not our 4C of the future.
Do you think they might not re-sign Nick Paul? Who else do you see playing 4th line centre given they didn't re-sign Douglas either? I assume once Tierny is gone they have a few options in White, Nick Paul, bring up Kastelic or make a trade for one. Anyone else you think could be a future 4th line centre in this org?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Do you think they might not re-sign Nick Paul? Who else do you see playing 4th line centre given they didn't re-sign Douglas either? I assume once Tierny is gone they have a few options in White, Nick Paul, bring up Kastelic or make a trade for one. Anyone else you think could be a future 4th line centre in this org?

I think it will be the entry point for Greig/Brown types or easily filled off the UFA scrap pile. Tierney types at $1-2 million are decent.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I think he might actually be a lot closer than we think. I re-watched all of his shifts to make that Shifts & Clips video and he made substantial improvements and was much more consistent by the end of the season. He actually looked quite capable of playing NHL games by the end.

Listening to all his interviews after the season has ended he has the right mindset and has been putting in all the work. The biggest thing is it seems like he is making substantial progress with his athletic development. He is a lean 213 lbs and he says that his lifts are going up every week. He has also constantly re-iterated how much he has learned about what he needs to do to improve his hip and ankle mobility and that he has put a strong emphasis on improving his speed, agility and skating.

Sokolov could very well come into camp ready to steal a roster spot. He already has an NHL shot and a strong hockey IQ. If his skating, agility, speed and athleticism have really made big improvements then he really isn't far off from making an impact at the NHL level.

Maybe he will still need more time in the AHL or could benefit from it but it certainly seems possible that he is ready to earn a roster spot. If the Sens don't make another addition before training camp than he also has the inside track to steal that RW spot.

Reactions: aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I think it will be the entry point for Greig/Brown types or easily filled off the UFA scrap pile. Tierney types at $1-2 million are decent.
Tierney isn't good. The lack of compete level, the lack of willingness to go to the dirty areas, take hits to make plays, engage physically all take away from his on ice contributions. He also is one of the slowest players on the team. What he currently brings to the table isn't very valuable and is easily replaceable. If he had those other attributes than the Sens wouldn't be so eager to trade him.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
In the long run probably one of Kastelic or Kelly. Or they will try to role 4 lines with Norris, Pinto, Greig and Ostapchuk. Maybe Paul gets a look at center this season and the plan changes but at this point those seem like the core centers moving forward.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Tierney isn't good. The lack of compete level, the lack of willingness to go to the dirty areas, take hits to make plays, engage physically all take away from his on ice contributions. He also is one of the slowest players on the team. What he currently brings to the table isn't very valuable and is easily replaceable. If he had those other attributes than the Sens wouldn't be so eager to trade him.

The point was a “replaceable” player around $1-2 million. You may not like Tierney but he’s a +4C over his career. If he made half his salary he’d be a good deal. He’s far from the most useless part in that top 12.

Each year there will be a group of these guys that teams don’t want to pay $3-5 million to anymore as they aged and should be available that can hold down 4C as we integrate a kid.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think he might actually be a lot closer than we think. I re-watched all of his shifts to make that Shifts & Clips video and he made substantial improvements and was much more consistent by the end of the season. He actually looked quite capable of playing NHL games by the end.

Listening to all his interviews after the season has ended he has the right mindset and has been putting in all the work. The biggest thing is it seems like he is making substantial progress with his athletic development. He is a lean 213 lbs and he says that his lifts are going up every week. He has also constantly re-iterated how much he has learned about what he needs to do to improve his hip and ankle mobility and that he has put a strong emphasis on improving his speed, agility and skating.

Sokolov could very well come into camp ready to steal a roster spot. He already has an NHL shot and a strong hockey IQ. If his skating, agility, speed and athleticism have really made big improvements then he really isn't far off from making an impact at the NHL level.

Maybe he will still need more time in the AHL or could benefit from it but it certainly seems possible that he is ready to earn a roster spot. If the Sens don't make another addition before training camp than he also has the inside track to steal that RW spot.

I have no doubt he will be as ready as he can be and he will push for a spot.. I honestly hope he does it. I watched most of the BSens games last year. I found his in DZone game to need some seasoning. Its still a big jump and it would be a hell of an accomplishment from where he started last year to making the big team inside a year. It will be interesting. I am pulling for him but , my guess is he goes back to Belleville. Parker Kelly will push for a 4th line energy spot as well. Soks has a lot of things going for him .. He is a right shot winger with very good size , that can score .. Can he play with NHL pace and can he be responsible defensively are questions he'll have to answer for me. If he gets sent down there is no shame in that , imo .. just go down and work on the things the team asks of you and turn your overall play up to a dominant level in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->