Post-Game Talk: #61: FLYERS at Canadiens, Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Man, that was even worse than TB game to watch...almost nothing to be happy about. A bit of Meyers flash...I thought Patrick looked good too. And 4th line actually had some good pressure shifts, definitely 1 where they won the battle. I don't mind Varone at all, I think he's good for what's expected of him. Good match with his linemantes too.

But the rest..invisible or worse. They didn't look like they had nearly enough skill, let alone passion or will, to be close to competing. Maybe Habs did have a stellar game, for sure they brought it in the first, TSN seemed to think it was among their best at puck movement, and that defnitely scorched the Flyers.

And did they have plans for their breakouts or their transitions? They looked like they were just told to freestyle on offense, which continues to consist of blind wrap-arounds out of their own end, or their goto---hard slapper to red line tipped in, and they screw that up constantly.

#1 need. NHL coaching. It absolutely dwarfs individual player assessments at this point.

Tell Provy to stop just trying to carry the puck forward and really THINK about how to involve your teammates! Give him some ideas please, for God's sake!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So Ghost is much better on the left side with a physical RHD, who would have guessed?
And Sanheim sucks as a 1D, who would have guessed?
Flyers desperately need that physical veteran RHD who can stabilize this defense.

Fletcher, after watching the TB and Montreal game, makes note to self: "speed kills."
Which is why I don't want Q, so what if he won Cups a decade ago when the game was still played by dinosaurs - the mammals are running loose.

So do you still think a magic coach can just wave a wand and turn this into a good team?

"A change is gonna come"

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
So Ghost is much better on the left side with a physical RHD, who would have guessed?
Flyers desperately need that physical veteran RHD who can stabilize this defense.

Fletcher, after watching the TB and Montreal game, makes note to self: "speed kills."
Which is why I don't want Q, so what if he won Cups a decade ago when the game was still played by dinosaurs - the mammals are running loose.

So do you still think a magic coach can just wave a wand and turn this into a good team?

"A change is gonna come"
I don't disagree with finding a different coach from Q, but he also won a cup 4 years ago, much less than a decade.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010

"A change is gonna come"

Man, 2015 sure feels like a decade ago...

On a serious note, the Leafs should can that bum Babcock. Guy hasn't won shit since 2008.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Pulling Hart in the TB game, after a horrible whole team effort in the first 10 minutes, made sense. It was message to the whole team that they had to wake up and it almost worked.

When the whole team came out totally flat in the second game in a row and quickly got behind 3-0 again, pulling Hart was not a good idea.

I wish Gordon had called a time out and told the whole team to get their heads out of their arses, step up and the protect the goalie who's been saving their arses for the last month, and get back in the game.

Watching Hart go out after we went down 3-0 again on some terrible play by the whole team, made me sick to my stomach.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This was a game I'm glad I missed.

How did Myers look?

The fact that Ghost-Myers went +1 is about the biggest positive as far as I can tell.

Fast teams, even mediocre fast teams (like Detroit) have given the Flyers fits for years. And unfortunately teams in the NHL keep getting faster these days.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This was a game I'm glad I missed.

How did Myers look?

The fact that Ghost-Myers went +1 is about the biggest positive as far as I can tell.

Fast teams, even mediocre fast teams (like Detroit) have given the Flyers fits for years. And unfortunately teams in the NHL keep getting faster these days.

here is what is so problematric about this. We are slow by nhl standards at the nhl level, and we have no prospects coming up that are on par with what we just saw in tatar, drouin, galagher, domi kotkaineimi, and byron.

Frost is a good player and he has good speed, not on par with those other talents. Farabee is even slower. We have a collection of young talented forwards that just are not fast in coots, patrick lindblom. Our forward group is not close to being a cup contender.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
What?
How?
Why?
Well if you are looking to make the playoffs it’s good to have a backup for a rookie 20 yo goalie that is giving up 3 goals a 1st period and carrying a .667 sv% the last two games. Not saying it’s his fault but some of the goals were stoppable and maybe all of them would have been stopped last week.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
didnt see the game

hart was bad?
Myers was good?
which means Myers will be demoted soon

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
ALMOSt every entry by Habs in first 10 mins was an odd man rush. Gordos system stands zero chance vs fast teams.

Hart never should of started so many games in a row with 2 healthy back ups.

Again we have a awful coach putting his own future ahead of the teams. Fletch needs to come out and tell Gordo you have no chance of returning

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What do we flyers fans even have to look forward to going into next season? I guess Patrick has looked good. That is it for positives right now.

How many of the following do you think happen by next season:

Simmonds walks for nothing/is resigned
Frost is not on the opening roster
Morin is not on the opening roster
Myers is not on the opening roster
Both Hagg and Farmer are on the opening roster
Gordon is still the coach/they hire another awful coach
Hart plays poorly
Talbot plays poorly
Stolarz plays well
Ghost is traded for garbage
They sign sign UFA to too large a contract for too long
They pick 13th in the draft after missing the playoffs
Rubtsov gets injured again
Allison gets injured again
Allison doesn't sign with us
O'Brien disappoints again

What am I missing?

If they dont hire Q or a ballsy pick like Keefe, no reason to have any enthusiasm for the 19-20 season.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
How about Myers though? BRIGHT SPOT on a dismal, **** night.

If only we played him sooner, we perhaps could have avoided so much suffering watching AMac.

Also, something def shook Hart's confidence in the TB game. Let's hope he can shake it off whether or not we go anywhere this season - hate to see a young goalie get in his own head like that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This game shows exactly why Hart-Stolarz would have been a terrible idea. Two guys who are that young, inexperienced, and responsible for that much is asking for problems. Especially with how bad Stolarz has shown to be when he's off his game. If someone here is worried about Talbot then they should have been even more nervous about Stolarz...

They needed a guy like Talbot. Experienced, *STAY HEALTHY*, and has a history of being a very good goalie. A year and a half playing poorly with a horrible Edmonton team doesn't erase all that and it gives us a very good reason to believe he can bounce back once saved from that situation. Sure, that's no sure thing, but no goalie is a sure thing and this bet is safer than relying on Stolarz.

Hart is the future, they're committed to that (rightfully so), so Stolarz had no place here, short or long term. The only problem in this situation is that Talbot hasn't been used yet, when they should be using him as much as humanly possible. Elliott need to go and Hart needs a rest... this should be obvious to the team.

Reactions: tucson83 and ajw12

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
here is what is so problematric about this. We are slow by nhl standards at the nhl level, and we have no prospects coming up that are on par with what we just saw in tatar, drouin, galagher, domi kotkaineimi, and byron.

Frost is a good player and he has good speed, not on par with those other talents. Farabee is even slower. We have a collection of young talented forwards that just are not fast in coots, patrick lindblom. Our forward group is not close to being a cup contender.

UH, Frost was the fastest skater at the scouting combine, his problem in games is he didn't play at that speed, but they've worked with him to play faster - it's not that he can't, it's that at the junior level he played "Flyer's hockey" and be more deliberate with the puck - but the NHL game is speeding up, you have to be able to play fast, then slow it down when you choose.

Farabee can skate, as can O'Brien.
Some of the rest have good but not great speed, Ratcliffe, Kase, Rubtsov.
Bailey and NAK are 4th line guys with speed.

You don't need 12 forwards who fly, neither TB nor Montreal have that, you need a few who open the ice for the rest. And only one or two "snails."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart is the future, they're committed to that (rightfully so), so Stolarz had no place here, short or long term. The only problem in this situation is that Talbot hasn't been used yet, when they should be using him as much as humanly possible. Elliott need to go and Hart needs a rest... this should be obvious to the team.

The TDL is Monday, they had to get Elliott into a couple games if they wanted any hope of trading him - the team trading for him wants help down the stretch and has to have confidence he's healthy for at least the next month.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
UH, Frost was the fastest skater at the scouting combine, his problem in games is he didn't play at that speed, but they've worked with him to play faster - it's not that he can't, it's that at the junior level he played "Flyer's hockey" and be more deliberate with the puck - but the NHL game is speeding up, you have to be able to play fast, then slow it down when you choose.

Farabee can skate, as can O'Brien.
Some of the rest have good but not great speed, Ratcliffe, Kase, Rubtsov.
Bailey and NAK are 4th line guys with speed.

You don't need 12 forwards who fly, neither TB nor Montreal have that, you need a few who open the ice for the rest. And only one or two "snails."

i did not say they can't skate. Im saying they wer not on par with what we saw last night . Drouin, domi, byron Gally, are among the fastest players in the league. Farabee's speed is your average nhler now a days. . The game has changed so much so quickly even for fans. The game is all about fast puckhandling forwards that can enter teh zone time and time again with ease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad