Post-Game Talk: #61: FLYERS at Canadiens, Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
That was complete and utter bullshit. There's a joke in there about Carter Hart, I guess he is mortal after all. One game wasn't bad, two games back to back, ugh, wretched.

But then Moose comes in and looks passable, especially on a dog shit/snake bitten effort by the Flyers in general.

Oh, BUT WAIT! CAM f***ING TALBOT. THAT'S the TICKET! Does it really take this long to clear visa issues and get reliable transport from Edmonton to Philadelphia? Hell, they played in Canada, where is this guy that was necessary to precede Carter Hart's epic melt down(s)?

This is a bad team, not a bad collection of individual players (well, some of them are). That run was pretty swell, but let's not be fooled, time to trade some more dudes, and prepare for next year.

Technically, I didn't finish the game, they were still losing 5-0, when I switched at 10 pm to catch the post-game of the Sixers. (Comcast DVR, not the new jazz, can only record two things at a time, and watch one other thing on DVR. So started with the Sixers, recording the Flyers, but when the Orville started at 9 pm, started watching the Flyers. And at 10 pm when the Orville ended, switched backed, dejectedly, to the Sixers post-game. 1st world problems.)

I heard Phil Myers name multiple times, that's a plus. He wasn't clowned, kudos.

Edit: There is a positive to take from this. Giroux was able to go to his junior team to have his number retired. Everything about the actual game tonite was a waste (except Myers performance), but G crossing the border on a work trip to get some respect put on his name, that is spiffy.
Oh, and a healthy Moose is a better than bad veteran back-up, but durability is the best ability, or some such cliche.

Last edited:

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
The Flyers at the trade deadline will definitely be sellers!
giphy.gif

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Alright, the first step has been made, now Gordon has to figure out that he shouldn't put two LD's in one pair and two RD's in the other.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Way to try your best to run Hart into the ground Gordon. Bang up job.

What the hell was the first period of that game? I lost count of odd man rushes after 7, and Hart was awful (how did that 3rd goal even go in?).

I went into this game expecting nothing, and this team still let me down. Everyone did. The coaching staff, the players, the goaltender. The season is on the line and that was how they come out?

I wish snider was still around. He would be making them all do bag skates at 5am tomorrow. Coach included.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This season was over the moment Hakstok escaped last season unscathed.

Yup we all knew it. He had to be gone to have a shot. No team is going to make the playoffs after a sabotaged first half followed by fired GM and coach and trade of a loved player that will have used fat least 8 goalies. Too many negatives.

Not that back-to-back pulls after giving up 3 goals on 9 shots in both outings is what I envisioned, but something similar is what I was worried about regarding calling Hart up this year.

He stood on his head to give the Flyers some wins, but he had to come back to earth at some point.

I actually don't mind having him go back to the Phantoms after the outdoor game; he's strong enough mentally to not be bothered by it. He will be fine if he sticks with the Flyers, too.

If we lose against Pitt it’s time to close up shop. Trade everyone and send Hart down. Look to the draft yet again.

This is what this team looks like under Gordon when stellar rookie goaltending isn’t propping them up.

He’s been horrible. Other teams are getting great chances and a lot of them that Hart and Stolie have handled amazingly. This current outcome was predicatable. Just could have waited until after the stretch of matchups.

Extremely happy with the dream pair of Ghost and Myers too.

Throw the kitchen at Karlsson in the offseason:

Provy-Karlsson
Ghost-Myers
Sanheim-Gudas

*Homer drool*

That looks amazing. I’m pretty sure it’s their goal as well.

Did he say they got to fix it but he's not sure how?

Yes sir.

What the hell was the first period of that game? I lost count of odd man rushes after 7, and Hart was awful (how did that 3rd goal even go in?).

I went into this game expecting nothing, and this team still let me down. Everyone did. The coaching staff, the players, the goaltender. The season is on the line and that was how they come out?

I wish snider was still around. He would be making them all do bag skates at 5am tomorrow. Coach included.

This team has continually come up small inbig games. It’s a big mental issue as much as it is talent. They need a stabilizing coach like Q and some new big names.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
What do we flyers fans even have to look forward to going into next season? I guess Patrick has looked good. That is it for positives right now.

How many of the following do you think happen by next season:

Simmonds walks for nothing/is resigned
Frost is not on the opening roster
Morin is not on the opening roster
Myers is not on the opening roster
Both Hagg and Farmer are on the opening roster
Gordon is still the coach/they hire another awful coach
Hart plays poorly
Talbot plays poorly
Stolarz plays well
Ghost is traded for garbage
They sign a UFA to too large a contract for too long
They pick 13th in the draft after missing the playoffs
Rubtsov gets injured again
Allison gets injured again
Allison doesn't sign with us
O'Brien disappoints again

What am I missing?

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So, um, Ghost led the team in icetime. When's the last time that happened?
And he was probably their best player, along with Myers. But the only reason Gordon let him play was because they were behind from the start.

As soon as they start leading a game his icetime will get cut again because hockey dinosaurs like going into shells more than puck possession.

Meanwhile inferior defensemen will play a ton, no matter what.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

If Simmonds is supposed to be the bad cop to Giroux's lead by example, the team has tuned him out. Every single game, they look disinterested and uncoordinated in the 1st. Every. Single. Game. Oh, except for jumping out way in front of Detroit ... and then needed OT to get a win.

I am at an absolute loss to see what playbook this team needs to click. They are a mess, and like GB said, when Hart isn't standing on his head, the mess is exposed.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
What do we flyers fans even have to look forward to going into next season? I guess Patrick has looked good. That is it for positives right now.

Hart plays poorly
Talbot plays poorly
Stolarz plays well
They sign sign UFA to too large a contract for too long

What am I missing?

Sad thing is, last few prospect bits aside, I fully expect to half expect all that stuff to happen except the bits about Myers, Stolarz, and Ghost. Caveat with Stolarz being that no goalie can succeed in Edmonton so it won’t be his fault, just like it wasn’t with Dubnyk.

Reactions: DaphneLion

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Hart plays poorly
Talbot plays poorly
Stolarz plays well
They sign sign UFA to too large a contract for too long

What am I missing?

giphy.gif

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Sad thing is, last few prospect bits aside, I fully expect to half expect all that stuff to happen except the bits about Myers, Stolarz, and Ghost. Caveat with Stolarz being that no goalie can succeed in Edmonton so it won’t be his fault, just like it wasn’t with Dubnyk.
The over/under betting line for that list is probably 8.5.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The last two games were exactly why trading for Talbot was a smart move.

Last two games are exactly why trading for Talbot was a dumb move in my mind. It’s the smart move to trade for a good, reliable vet goalie that can mentor and roughly split starts with Hart. Except Talbot isn’t that, he’s a risky question mark of a vet goalie. He’s on the wrong side of 30 and coming off two abysmal seasons as a starter. Elliott has been a better version of what I described than Talbot has the last two seasons.

In my mind these last two games are exactly why it was dumb. We needed a safe bet to mentor and be the fallback for an unknown needing development. Instead, we have two wildcards and potential for a goalie circus for the billionth time.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Part of me wonders if it’s more distracting for Hart to have a 30 y/o+, multi-million veteran backup than an unproven kid like Stolarz.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This season was over the moment Hakstok escaped last season unscathed.

Well, you see, if you look at the triangulation of the coaching trifecta, youll realize that the ineptness of Ghost, and geothermal activity of Voracek and the hot goaltending over the course of 60% of the season in NY, you'll be able to quickly discern that the Flyers just arent a good team and that Hakstol just didnt have enough time to prove he was my lov- errrr, a comptent NHL coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad