GDT: #6: Panthers 5 at FLYERS 6 (2-1 SO), Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
He pulled Elliott too late

Maybe... but he pulled him at a time when it took guts to do it and imo it was the right move in general.

I’m not going to nitpick every move. I’ve made it very clear in the past that I think he’s done a terrible job personnel wise, and overall I think he did a good job in this game.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I don't really know what to add to the conversation today about this game. Some random thoughts:

- pulling Elliott 5 minutes into the third seems like poor planning. Let the backup start the period fresh. Also, how come he wasn't pulled after 4 goals in the home opener?
- DALE WEISE on the ice with :15 to go in a tie game. He's neither the person who is most likely going to win the game or save it so why put him out when the game is on the line?
- we play a disjointed style of game. Watching both of these teams initially felt like watching two AHL teams - no real rhythm to the game, just skating and missed passes
- I have wanted Farmer benched more than anyone else but it's not like his suckiness prior to this game has been significantly different than his suckiness at any other point in the past two season so why now?
- if we're going to borrow from the AHL, why aren't we borrowing the best available? (or the guys with the most projected upside)
- even scoring 5 goals we're still not great to watch - we need a system in place.
- I am done with Jordan Weal. I know he secured the SO for us but I am really just sick of watching him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers need to look at Ghost the same way that the Bruins view Krug. He's a plus offensively but a minus on defense. If TPTB can live with his weak defense, then putting him on the top pair is the way to go. Ghost's constant pushing the game forward does often put his partner in a tough spot when things go wrong.
Ghost, like Krug, is probably better suited for the second pair unless/until he picks up his defensive game. It's not like he can't do this. Timonen, like Ghost, wasn't blessed with the greatest stature but he used his stick to break up plays, clogged passing lanes and was judicious about when to make his rushes. Ghost needs to add a healthy dose of Timonen to his game.
Ghost is a talent but the coaches have to rein him in or he needs to do that himself. Neither of which happens often enough.

This is a truly bad take.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Watching the tying goal definitely a bad play by Ghost on that but Provorov can't get caught flat footed with his guy like that. Shouldn't have turned into a break away but oh well.

Ghost is always a guy you want thinking about generating offense and really just a play that ended up poorly.

Reactions: wankstifier

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ghost makes some good defensive plays, & he also makes many God awful ones (to include terribly forced offensive plays) that frequently result in odd man rushes & extremely good scoring chances by the opponent.

Reactions: renberg and hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ghost makes some good defensive plays, & he also makes many God awful ones (to include terribly forced offensive plays) that frequently result in odd man rushes & extremely good scoring chances by the opponent.
Your handle is ghosts beer and yet you can see the truth and its a player you like. My bro like you know is a leafs fan but he loved the flyers over the years and he laughs at what we call stars now. He's like what is this shit you watch HAHAHAHAhA.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Your handle is ghosts beer and yet you can see the truth and its a player you like. My bro like you know is a leafs fan but he loved the flyers over the years and he laughs at what we call stars now. He's like what is this **** you watch HAHAHAHAhA.

He laughs at Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Gost, Provorov, Simmonds?
I'm sure he would want any one of those players on the Leafs in a heartbeat. I'm also sure every fan of every other team in the league would want any one of those players on the team they cheer for.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Farmer was with his wife last night having a baby, Congrats.

But I ****ing knew he wasn't a performance based scratch LOL

tenor.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm sure he would want any one of those players on the Leafs in a heartbeat. I'm also sure every fan of every other team in the league would want any one of those players on the team they cheer for.
Some people literally hate skill and scoring.

People who don’t even like hockey and should just watch MMA instead. Pretty pathetic, isn’t it?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Watching the tying goal definitely a bad play by Ghost on that but Provorov can't get caught flat footed with his guy like that. Shouldn't have turned into a break away but oh well.

Ghost is always a guy you want thinking about generating offense and really just a play that ended up poorly.
And while he’s generating offense, he’s doing the best possible thing to prevent a goal against.

Even the best defensemen can get scored on when the opponent has the puck in your zone, but when you have them pinned in their zone they have no chances.

Sure, Ghost makes mistakes like every other defensemen, but they’re not common and his elite offense and puck moving make up for the mistakes many times over. He’s the last defensemen who deserves any complaints this year. Easily our best so far and our best last year too.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
No because they are older and slower and doesn't fit the time frame. He's watched allot of good flyer players and he doesn't like the look of these guys. G he don't mind.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Ok, something positive, non-hive mind like-

I was impressed by Dunes Harborside a little bit this past game. Pulling the goalie, as not to repeat the mistake from the home opener, and calling a time out, because he actually has that ability, they are not cumulative for future games.

That AMac was a healthy scratch started that game off with all kinds of feels.

AND THEY WON A SHOOT OUT!

New Credo- when the Flyers win a SHOOT OUT!, I will not say bad things about the team. It's likely only to happen 4 more times this year at a max, so I can hold it for those brief short periods of time.

FIUR, nobody until at least after the next game potentially!

Post Edit: Heard AMac was excused cause his wife gave birth to their child, take them where you can (AMac scratches), #winning.

Reactions: Adtar02 and Amorgus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad