GDT: #6: Panthers 5 at FLYERS 6 (2-1 SO), Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
We saw against Florida what happens when you're not conservative with a lead and your defensemen allow players to get behind them.
Perhaps one of the reason that the defensemen are getting beat is that the forwards, once they lose control in the offensive zone don't back check so the opposition has easy outlets to get into the Flyers D zone. That leaves Flyer defensemen in a bad spot.
I'm coming to the point where I don't believe that this bunch as a team is a good mix. There are some very talented individual players on this roster but I'm questioning whether they mesh together well. Hakstol has juggled lines throughout his time here but he has not been able to create a line that can dominate for more than a period or so. From their stats, G, Voracek and the winger of your choice ought to be able to do that but it has never happened for more than a few games. Pull Voracek away from G to create a decent secondary scoring line and it doesn't happen. Rather than hold on to the veteran stars, it might be better to move a couple of them and see if a different mix might perform better.
We've had great lines here in the past Barber-Clarke-Leach; Renberg-Lindros-LeClair, etc. I don't expect that a trio of current Flyers could reach the performance of those types of lines but from the talent that is on this roster, a formidable trio should be able to be created but it doesn't happen.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And no one has shown that strategy is faulty, I'm sure someone has studied it.
Still waitin' . . .
We saw against Florida what happens when you're not conservative with a lead and your defensemen allow players to get behind them.

You don't think it's faulty to slash pressure and let teams back into games, over and over and over? Taking your foot off the gas to let other teams back in with bad goalies being tested more is your idea of flawless coaching?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm coming to the point where I don't believe that this bunch as a team is a good mix. There are some very talented individual players on this roster but I'm questioning whether they mesh together well. Hakstol has juggled lines throughout his time here but he has not been able to create a line that can dominate for more than a period or so. From their stats, G, Voracek and the winger of your choice ought to be able to do that but it has never happened for more than a few games. Pull Voracek away from G to create a decent secondary scoring line and it doesn't happen. Rather than hold on to the veteran stars, it might be better to move a couple of them and see if a different mix might perform better.
We've had great lines here in the past Barber-Clarke-Leach; Renberg-Lindros-LeClair, etc. I don't expect that a trio of current Flyers could reach the performance of those types of lines but from the talent that is on this roster, a formidable trio should be able to be created but it doesn't happen.
What in the world are you talking about? :laugh: Did you miss last season?

Just one example of many would be how Giroux-Couturier-Konecny DOMINATED for months until the coach split them up because he wanted the line to be less skilled and “heavier”.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No for sure Provy's issues this year are his...both mental and physical. He doesn't "look" like we are used to seeing him, and he isn't playing like we are used to seeing him play.

But during times like this, it sure would be nice for our 21 year old Dman who is being relied upon to be our best defensive Dman, to have a GOOD veteran Dman to lean on. He had a last of breathe Streit, Schultz, MDZ, Gudas, AMac, Manning...lol.

It's really too bad we do not have a Timonen type here for the kids to lean on.

And there's one man to blame for that, Ron Hextall.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, because Kimmo types grow on trees, you just have to pick up the phone and offer a 3rd rd pick.
Kimmo in his prime, if the Flyers even considered trading him, would probably cost a 1st rd pick and 2 top prospects, say Myers and Rubtsov.
Heck, we got a 1st and 3rd and Gudas for freakin' Coburn!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad