Post-Game Talk: #6| Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | June 9TH | 7:30 PM | F/W 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
BOSTON BRUINS AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS

GAME 6: ISLANDERS VS BRUINS
7:30 PM | NASSAU COLISEUM
ISLANDERS LEAD SERIES 3-2
WATCH: NBCSN | NHL.TV | CBC | SN | TVA SPORTS
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

Preview

Up 3-2 in the East Division final against Boston, should the Islanders close out the Bruins, they’d join the Canadiens and Lightning in this spring’s final four showdown for Lord Stanley’s mug.

Bruins Losing Composure

Not only is Boston fighting a losing battle against the Islanders, the Bruins are also waging a costly assault on the NHL. Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy lambasted the officiating in the series after Boston fell 5-4 in Game 5. The NHL countered by isssuing a $25,000 to the Boston coach.

It’s an age-old tactic — blame the officials and get the media asking about that subject. For the Bruins, it’s a better topic of conversation than dealing with questions about why they’ve lost two games in a row, squandering a 2-1 series lead.

The NHL Department of Player Safety issued a $5,000 fine to Bruins winger Nick Ritchie for elbowing Islanders defenseman Scott Mayfield in the head during Game 5.
It’s the second straight game a Boston player incurred a $5,000 fine. Forward David Krejci was tagged for slashing Isles forward Mathew Barzal in Game 4.

Injury Updates

Dealing with what the Bruins are calling nagging injuries, Boston goalie Tuukka Rask left Game 5 after two periods. Rookie Jeremy Swayman played the third frame.
Rask is being listed as questionable for Game 6. That could mean Swayman will be making his first career NHL playoff start with Boston’s season on the line.
The Bruins will also be without forward Curtis Lazar for Game 6. He suffered a lower-body injury during Game 5. Lazar attempted to check Islanders defenseman Adam Pelech but ended up tumbling into the boards himself.

Boston is already missing defensemen Kevan Miller (six games) and Brandon Carlo (two games) with undislosed injuries. Neither is expected to play in Game 6.
Though he’s not expected to play again this season, Islanders captain Anders Lee (right ACL surgery) has resumed skating.

Barzal Burying Bruins

Islanders coach Barry Trots called out Barzal after he collected just three points in six opening-round games against Pittsburgh. The shifty forward has responded.

Barzal has scored in each of the last three games. He’d gone 15 postseason games without a goal prior to that.

Through five games against Boston, Barzal has collected five points. In 17 career regular-season games facing the Bruins, he’s delivered 14 points.

hXHocMd.png

Playoff Series History

All Time Record VS Bruins

.......................ALL GAMES..........................................................HOME..............................................................AWAY....................................................PLAYOFFS.......................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-LWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPG
75-100-2143.62.93.341-47-1046.93.23.234-53-1140.32.73.411-568.84.13.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Of the 33/34 games NYI have played over the past two postseasons (and it has been one heck of a ride), IMHO, this will be the toughest. This is not the Panthers, Flyers, Pens, or (poorly coached) Caps to closeout, it's Boston. Trotz said we'll see their A game, I'd bank on A+.

NYI need to match.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
LGI!!!

one more boys... dig deep.

was thinking that i'd be happy with our progress, if we finished like we did last year. i still think we are a player or two away from a shot at the cup, but you never know.

I believe!

i like our consistency over the past few years. shows that the boys have bought into Trotz's system.

i figured that Carolina, TB, LV, & Colorado, would be the top 4 this year. two of them are getting knocked out in this round, so if we can win this game, i like our chances!

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Excellent GDT.

Close this out at home, same plan as game 4. Allowing nothing in the last 7 min of the 3rd.

Let's score first tonight. Many comebacks lately but a lead in this building on this night will be extra hard to come back on.

Reactions: FourRings

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I got a feeling I can't help this is our game 7 tonight, you don't want to go back to Boston for a one game decides it all. Winning 2 in Boston, yes, winning 3, that's pinning your hopes against the law of averages. Isles need to take advantage of home ice and win 2 of 3 this series. Must win tonight for me. Go get it boys. Fans do your thing.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'm sitting at work.... Isles hat, Isles Coli shirt.... and it still doesn't feel like I'm going to be a god damn viking savage in the parking lot in 7 hours.

Today will be tough.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I got a feeling I can't help this is our game 7 tonight, you don't want to go back to Boston for a one game decides it all. Winning 2 in Boston, yes, winning 3, that's pinning your hopes against the law of averages. Isles need to take advantage of home ice and win 2 of 3 this series. Must win tonight for me. Go get it boys. Fans do your thing.

I was more scared of the Pens going into game 6 than I am here. That said, the Bruins will probably win now lol. Overall the Pens looked similar on the road, the Bruins even in the Caps series seem to struggle more with matchups on the road. Part of that probably is the 2nd/3rd/4th lines are likely deeper overall where the Bruins scoring mostly comes from the top 4-5 players. Also Carlo being out probably hurts them more on the road.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
We have to play desperate as well. But I can't help but believe that they will show more desperation, their back is against the wall and they are a very good team.
Isles WILL play with desperation in front of the home fans but it is natural that they may not quite get to maximum knowing in their subconscious they will get another chance if they don't get the W.
This game will turn on goaltending and very small mistakes or momentary lapse of coverage by a stride or less. Very small margins. Everybody has to show up, no passengers and get this done.
LFGI

Reactions: Olliemets

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Well said. Agree 100%

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Finish them off tonight. I can’t wait to hear the chants they come up with.

I really want the Isles score the game winner on a power play.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
If they get a lead they need to keep up on the forecheck. The only way to shut down the top line of the Bruins is to keep them playing defense. It’s not possible ALL game, but just keep hitting them and make them want to go home early

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles are facing at desperate Boston team . The isles will need to keep their composure when the game turns chippy... cough* Barzal* cough.

Rask is rumored to be nursing an injury. Isles should be crashing the net and forcing him to scramble.

Let's go isles.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
A little sad to think that after tonight we will only have 2 more playoff series victories at the Coli, but I’ll be screaming my heart out all night nonetheless.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Isles under Trotz are 4-4 in potential series winning games. Need to step on their throats early and not let up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad