GDT: 6/22/22 - 8:00PM EDT - Colorado vs Tampa Bay [SCF GAME 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Insane…Mackinnon is by vasy when Kadri jumps on and is able to jump into the play and score a goal all while his replacement is on the ice.
But "nothing we can do about it now, just gotta move on"......

I'm truly getting sick of people just accepting this nonsense, each and every year. What's the purpose of even playing the game when a ref can just decide it on their own? This happens in the NHL more than any other sport, it's never ending. I don't care if we were playing well in OT or not, that's absolutely irrelevant. The refs have a job to do and they didn't do it, period. How we're playing doesn't dictate whether or not they should do their job properly. All it takes is one turnover, one fortunate bounce of the puck, one WHATEVER and we score and win the game.

This goes for many things in society, but modern day people are conditioned to accept so many ridiculous things, we're nothing but a bunch of door mats.

Reactions: Fabiobest

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

I'm truly getting sick of people just accepting this nonsense, each and every year. What's the purpose of even playing the game when a ref can just decide it on their own? This happens in the NHL more than any other sport, it's never ending. I don't care if we were playing well in OT or not, that's absolutely irrelevant. The refs have a job to do and they didn't do it, period. How we're playing doesn't dictate whether or not they should do their job properly. All it takes is one turnover, one fortunate bounce of the puck, one WHATEVER and we score and win the game.

This goes for many things in society, but modern day people are conditioned to accept so many ridiculous things, we're nothing but a bunch of door mats.
Lol. For one, comparing sports entertainment to other areas of life in society is apples and oranges. You can't just make that sort of statement that us "do nothing and accept it" do the same elsewhere. That is just not true.

Secondly, what do you suggest instead of my remedy to just move on? Storm the ice from the stands and tackle the refs? Shoot a poison dart from a vuvuzela? Seriously. What do you suggest that reforms the problem with officiating?

"Modern day people," as if there weren't compliant people in every era and civilization or there's a differentiation between "modern day people" and whatever other type today.

I'll be waiting.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy

I want to add one thing to your post.
Being kind and classy with all the fanbases that are used to insult us, does not make you a better person.
Being classy with a team that tried to injury one of our superstars does not make you a better person.
Being classy with a fanbase where there're some people that put our jersey on the floor, in a restaurant, does not make you a better person.
I'm tired to read all the bullshit against our team on the social networks. Now it's our turn.
All of you remember every time the Drouin's offside in G6 vs Pittsburgh.
This time, considering also G1, is wat worse.
For sure we have to move on: the boys need to be focused on tomorrow night.
But we must not forget. Because what happened last night, included the post game (with the sheets and the NHL statement) is something embarassing for the entire league.
Were we playing an hot garbage hockey during the OT? For sure. But it was one shot game. Maybe the Avs made a mistake and we would have scored. Who knows.

Reactions: DMB06

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Champions are made of those who rise above adversity of all kinds, from blown calls to thrown picks to all sorts of things. Champions don't give excuses, they make plans, they step up and get results. And even when all the right things are done, it can always go wrong because another team just wants it a little bit more than you and are willing to risk a little more of their bodies and hearts on it because there's no other way for them to live otherwise. Learn, improve, fight for the logo on your chest and those around you, and play.

Reactions: dnl4ever and Hoek

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This board has spent every excuse possible to pry away the greatness from our team but in the end, most are fans of teams that can fall in line behind the ass whooping we have laid on their franchise. We also recognize the opinions of some mouth breathers do not voice the opinion of all fans in one fanbase, no matter how delusional or desperate the minority opinion is.

I have not minded the Colorado fan base for the most part. Pretty even keeled and respectable. What's blurring the lines in the GDTs I will boast on, is the amount of victims Tampa has created. Colorado is seeing that with St Louis and Edmonton fans, but the non stop trolling is par for the course when you've been at the top this long. If the torch is passed, brace yourself cause you'll hear A through Z on why you shouldn't have won.

TL;DR this site is one of the worst in evaluating players and teams.
I find it's mainly on the main forums and a few very vocal fans of each team - it's a lot more pleasant if you start using the ignore function whenever you see the same fans trolling in any thread related to your team.

Anyways, i'll echo that Tampa fans have been by far the most even-keeled during this run and same goes for the team. There has been some questionable and dangerous plays from both teams and things can get heated, but overall i've never had to worry about Makar getting a career-ending injury because Perron or Kassian tried to elbow him at full speed.

Also and i've been saying this for awhile, I won't feel comfortable until I see the Avs lifting the cup because if any team can come back from this type of deficit, it's Tampa.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Lol. For one, comparing sports entertainment to other areas of life in society is apples and oranges. You can't just make that sort of statement that us "do nothing and accept it" do the same elsewhere. That is just not true.

Secondly, what do you suggest instead of my remedy to just move on? Storm the ice from the stands and tackle the refs? Shoot a poison dart from a vuvuzela? Seriously. What do you suggest that reforms the problem with officiating?

"Modern day people," as if there weren't compliant people in every era and civilization or there's a differentiation between "modern day people" and whatever other type today.

I'll be waiting.
“All experience hath shown, that mankind is more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.”

-Thomas Jefferson

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I find it's mainly on the main forums and a few very vocal fans of each team - it's a lot more pleasant if you start using the ignore function whenever you see the same fans trolling in any thread related to your team.

Anyways, i'll echo that Tampa fans have been by far the most even-keeled during this run and same goes for the team. There has been some questionable and dangerous plays from both teams and things can get heated, but overall i've never had to worry about Makar getting a career-ending injury because Perron or Kassian tried to elbow him at full speed.

Also and i've been saying this for awhile, I won't feel comfortable until I see the Avs lifting the cup because if any team can come back from this type of deficit, it's Tampa.

I mean, I'm not quite sure how to reconcile the contradictory thoughts I'm about to write, but while I don't care much for the Avs to pull level with us again in the Cup ledger (and being in better position to get #4 sooner than we are simply because our window is closing much sooner than yours is), at least the Avs would be, for total lack of a better phrase, a legitimate Cup champion. I feel like we've had a good run of those in recent years for sure, but we've had several Cup Finals in recent years where one of the teams felt more like "team that got hot" more than being a really good team, and we were that close to having an underwhelming Cup champion for the season. Dallas and Montréal the past two seasons are two immediate examples of that, I'm just going to be honest about that. Glad we dispatched of them, no apologies for the "easy" opponents because it wasn't our fault we got them, but either of them winning the Cup in those years would've been a lousy champion for the season. At least we know the Avs are a fantastic hockey team that plays an aesthetically pleasing brand of hockey. There could be worse outcomes.

In any case, hopefully you've won your last game of the season after last night.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I'm sure you were of the exact same thought when Tampa benefitted from favorable calls.

Coming from an Edmonton series we're saints :laugh:

Seriously, there's something in the water in that awful city. If TB loses, at least it's to an actual good team rather than a series they should've won and choked.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Exactly: you can look at the seeds with every perspective but the situation does not change a lot.
Florida, Toronto, Carolina, New York, Pittsburgh (without injuries), also Boston...many many good teams out there.
The West was a pile of trash...

We need to be focused on the next offseason: if we let some guys walk (Killer) and we find some "Paul" to sign, we'll be very competitive also next season(s).
Slow down their hoss, there's still at least one game left this season. Let's wait until after someone hoists the Cup to be focused on the offseason.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

Sheesh, you think the people who are enjoying themselves and not getting caught up in stupid whining are the "doormats"?

Your team is in the midst of unprecedented success for this era, but despite that you're spitting mad, and ... you're still here? Letting the NHL rile you up like that? Vote with your dollars and your feet, and move on. The league's like the abusive boyfriend you just can't leave.Man, talk about being a doormat.

The rest of us are here because we're having *fun*, not because we're getting dicked over. I can tell you, when the NBA had that scandal with that ref taking bribes, that's when I bailed. If hockey refs' inability to attain perfection is your trigger threshold, then just do the same. Life improvement at the snap of your fingers.

Reactions: Hoek

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I'm sure you were of the exact same thought when Tampa benefitted from favorable calls.

This is just a generic "all bad calls are the same" argument, it would be very difficult for you to name a single call that went our way that was as impactful as the obvious Makar dive and OT goal last night. Some bad calls don't necessarily impact the outcome, like Hedman getting tackled, but some literally put your team in a 1-3 hole.

Your response is just a coping mechanism fans use because they know officiating in the NHL is horrendous and will continue to be because teams just accept it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is just a generic "all bad calls are the same" argument, it would be very difficult for you to name a single call that went our way that was as impactful as the obvious Makar dive and OT goal last night. Some bad calls don't necessarily impact the outcome, like Hedman getting tackled, but some literally put your team in a 1-3 hole.

Your response is just a coping mechanism fans use because they know officiating in the NHL is horrendous and will continue to be because teams just accept it.

Lol we had 6 guys on the ice during a PK when Gourde scored the game winner in game 7. Let's pretend that's not impactful though.

Or the "high sticking" call against Cal Foote that perpetuated the Tampa comeback in an elimation game, we'll forget that happened too because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Your post wreaks insecurity and bias, ironic when you're the using the refs as a coping mechanism for losses, it's sports - reffing isn't going to be perfect, getting hung up on it is a miserable way to live.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

I'll be waiting.

One good example are the people who lived during the American Revolution, people who would've revolted decades ago if they lived today based on some of the things going on in society. And there are many examples I can give of people accepting things they shouldn't, but it would stray too far into topics that typically lead to a ban so I'll just avoid it. You can disagree with me if you'd like, my opinion will remain the same, people today are far more prone (as if they've been trained to be) to just accepting what's dealt to them. Society in general, or an NHL game, it's the same mindset and not as "apples and oranges" as you think it is.

And I don't want the fans to do anything about the bad officiating and never said they should. Although now that you mention the fans it wouldn't hurt if a significant percentage of them said I'll start going to games again when you get the officiating sorted out. But we all know that isn't going to happen, it's kind of like when people learned their emails, text messages, and phone calls were being spied on yet still walk around addicted to their cell phones every second of every day. Accepting that level of invasion of privacy is, again, a good example of how modern day society is far more lax when it comes to standards than prior generations were.

But back to hockey, the teams need to do something. Just for a moment imagine if our team issued a statement saying we're boycotting game 5 and won't be playing. MacKinnon was closer to the fans on the other side of the ice than he was to his own bench yet his replacement skated in for a game winning goal, which basically sunk our season, so we're protesting the rest of the series. The attention that kind of stand would draw might actually accomplish something. It would shine a million spotlights on a glaring issue this league has had forever. Every single year people continue to say "we just have to play through it", at what point do people (teams and players) finally recognize maybe it's time for the league to actually do something about it, instead of continuing to punish teams in the most important games of the season? I don't want the Lightning to win because of a bad call, or lose because of one. But that's where we're at in our ultra compliant society where people just accept everything because they'd rather not rock the boat.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Lol we had 6 guys on the ice during a PK when Gourde scored the game winner in game 7. Let's pretend that's not impactful though.

Or the "high sticking" call against Cal Foote that perpetuated the Tampa comeback in an elimation game, we'll forget that happened too because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Your post wreaks insecurity and bias, ironic when you're the using the refs as a coping mechanism for losses, it's sports - reffing isn't going to be perfect, getting hung up on it is a miserable way to live.

If the refs do their job does Kadri score that goal? It LITERALLY led directly to our loss dude, it's quite possibly the worst missed "too many men" penalty the league has ever seen, given how far away MacKinnon was from the bench and the magnitude of the game. Do I need to remind you of how many times we've been called for that same penalty in these playoffs? None of which were anywhere near as glaring as what happened last night. When have you ever seen (if you watched the SN feed) a montage put together of all of the blown calls against us in the third period? I don't know if I've ever seen that.

Reffing doesn't need to be "perfect" for them to make the calls I've mentioned. You're reaching here big time, a damn child could've made that call. I'm not asking for perfect, I'm asking for competent and for accountability for a problem that keeps repeating itself.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
This is some galaxy brain posting here, sheesh. Only thing forfeiting Game 5 would do is make us look like sore losers.

I have a lot of issues with the officiating but for this to be the straw that breaks the camel's back after B2B cups and 11 straight series wins is a bit wild.

I'm sure the too many men thing will be resolved at the next GM meeting by making it reviewable so we'll have even more long stoppages, yay.

Reactions: Stammertime91

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
This is some galaxy brain posting here, sheesh. Only thing forfeiting Game 5 would do is make us look like sore losers.

I have a lot of issues with the officiating but for this to be the straw that breaks the camel's back after B2B cups and 11 straight series wins is a bit wild.

I'm sure the too many men thing will be resolved at the next GM meeting by making it reviewable so we'll have even more long stoppages, yay.

Coop could barely speak last night during his media session, lasted about 2 mins and then walked away. When have we ever seen him like that? I can tell you that was a reflection of how the entire team felt. Coop didn't look/sound like that when we were getting swept out of the first round after a historic regular season. I'm sure he's well aware of our 2 cups and series winning streak, did that seem to matter? The last thing he mentioned before walking away was the missed call. Hopefully it serves as a motivator and allows our guys to fix yet another problem the league created.

And I'm all for stoppages in play if it means the call is correct, the call being correct is the only thing that matters.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
One good example are the people who lived during the American Revolution, people who would've revolted decades ago if they lived today based on some of the things going on in society. And there are many examples I can give of people accepting things they shouldn't, but it would stray too far into topics that typically lead to a ban so I'll just avoid it. You can disagree with me if you'd like, my opinion will remain the same, people today are far more prone (as if they've been trained to be) to just accepting what's dealt to them. Society in general, or an NHL game, it's the same mindset and not as "apples and oranges" as you think it is.

And I don't want the fans to do anything about the bad officiating and never said they should. Although now that you mention the fans it wouldn't hurt if a significant percentage of them said I'll start going to games again when you get the officiating sorted out. But we all know that isn't going to happen, it's kind of like when people learned their emails, text messages, and phone calls were being spied on yet still walk around addicted to their cell phones every second of every day. Accepting that level of invasion of privacy is, again, a good example of how modern day society is far more lax when it comes to standards than prior generations were.

But back to hockey, the teams need to do something. Just for a moment imagine if our team issued a statement saying we're boycotting game 5 and won't be playing. MacKinnon was closer to the fans on the other side of the ice than he was to his own bench yet his replacement skated in for a game winning goal, which basically sunk our season, so we're protesting the rest of the series. The attention that kind of stand would draw might actually accomplish something. It would shine a million spotlights on a glaring issue this league has had forever. Every single year people continue to say "we just have to play through it", at what point do people (teams and players) finally recognize maybe it's time for the league to actually do something about it, instead of continuing to punish teams in the most important games of the season? I don't want the Lightning to win because of a bad call, or lose because of one. But that's where we're at in our ultra compliant society where people just accept everything because they'd rather not rock the boat.
I mean I agree but we aren't talking infringement of human rights and governmental overreach. This is hockey. If our fanbase boycotted the game, they'd say "ok see you guys next year." Collectively, we don't have power unless you're a GM or owner. It's a silly conversation to have. I think officiating is mediocre but there aren't concrete ideas to reform it. Adding more reviews will slow the game and the league isn't going to dock the pay of zebras when they've protected them for years. This is an owner to commissioner conversation. Fans don't have pull, no matter how much we pout or gloat over bad or good calls.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

Seriously. I'm more deflated about two blatant missed trips (which resulted in allowing a missed trip on McDonagh) on Cirelli and Hedman than I am that winner. They deserved that win. We let up and got beaten fairly minus a call we've benefitted from in the past. Oh f***ing well.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Just win the next one and we have a game home to tie it up. Imagine if they tied it up and got to 7? You want to bet against vasi then?

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Tampa can come back. Not that likely, but possible.

And there’s no shame in losing to Colorado. They’re insanely stacked and due for a cup.

Regardless, Tampa will be back. Can count on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad