6/21/21 - 8:00PM EDT - New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay [SF GAME 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
Someone’s gotta save Rick Dipietro, I mean Simeon Varlamov when he goes wandering.

Varlamov was so far out he was closer to Vasylevsky than his own net. It reminded me of the time Rask thought BOS was down a goal and skated towards his bench for the extra skater until the bench screamed at him to get back in net. And of this play, as well...

Last edited:

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
In the Isles defense, every scoring chance they had in the first was a big chance. Nothing was just a generic shot hoping for a rebound.

If Palms and Barzal scored and hadn't hit the posts, and if anyone other than Leo did not have that breakaway and scored...the game would have been over in the middle of the 2nd period. Several uncoverted grade A chances.

Reactions: miscs75

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Would be nice to take a win here to not make our life too difficult.
I think tonight is as close to a must win for Tampa as you can get without it being an elimination game. I could be wrong, but whatever tonight's result is, I just can't see the Islanders losing game 6 in what could be the last game ever at the old barn.

Reactions: NYSaints

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Varlamov was so far out of net he was closer to Vasylevsky than his own net. It reminded me of the time Rask thought BOS was down a goal and skated towards his bench for the extra skater until the bench screamed at him to get back in net. And of this play, as well...

His play reminded me of one of the infamous Rick travels for the puck that’s at the top of the circles when he would look to dump the puck down the ice.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If Palms and Barzal scored and hadn't hit the posts, and if anyone other than Leo did not have that breakaway and scored...the game would have been over in the middle of the 2nd period. Several uncoverted grade A chances.
Barzals puck sat on the goal line from that play. If it was any closer it would have been 1-0 after the 1st.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think tonight is as close to a must win for Tampa as you can get without it being an elimination game. I could be wrong, but whatever tonight's result is, I just can't see the Islanders losing game 6 in what could be the last game ever at the old barn.
Meh, people always make big stories out of things like that but in reality they don't matter all that much. If the Lightning were to be eliminated in game 6 it'd be because the Isles beat them, not because of some arena farewell crap.

Reactions: J T Money

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Meh, people always make big stories out of things like that but in reality they don't matter all that much. If the Lightning were to be eliminated in game 6 it'd be because the Isles beat them, not because of some arena farewell crap.

Exactly lol.

Although I would like to think a potential last game in the building would mean a lot to the players, would that mean more than just winning the damn game?

If they have an opportunity to close out in Game 6 - they're playing as hard as they can to win the game and the series at that point, not because of a building.

Reactions: J T Money

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

Have to agree, the Bolts are pros but have to assume the Isles having the crowd pretty fired behind them will make it a staunch test for the champs

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Its amazing how close McDonagh was to scoring, had he been a right shot he would have had it on his forehand and been able to fire it into a wide open net. Had TBL scored to tie it, they would have picked up a HUGE amount of momentum I'm not sure we could have overcome. Sometimes it is truly a game of inches, or even millimeters.

In my mind the McDonagh shot going in was very possible given how far Varlamov had moved out of goal - and could potentially be the turning point in the series.
And if the Isles' shots that hit the post went in, it would have been moot. Therefore, it is what it is.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If the Lightning take care of the puck and play with urgency then they have enough to win. If they give the islanders an inch they will take a mile and they will win. Both teams are opportunistic. Again it will come down to who can capitalize on the other teams mistakes.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
The Islanders as a franchise historically have been known to set all types of new records during the playoffs. I think it would be fitting for Ryan Pulock to score his 5th GWG in this game to become the all time leader in most game winning goals by a defenseman wearing an Islander uniform.
That would be the most GWG by a defenseman wearing any uniform.

Plus one game winning save.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Isles win tonight. Then finish it off Wednesday.

I already bet 600 on it.

This Lightning team isn’t the same one we saw last season.

And if they lose both...

200.gif

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
Have to agree, the Bolts are pros but have to assume the Isles having the crowd pretty fired behind them will make it a staunch test for the champs

The game is in Tampa, but it would not surprise me that there are more NYI fans there than TBL ones. TB does not strike me as a city that cares much about hockey.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Yeah Tampa, if you could actually go out and try to scores goals this game instead of trying to win some 1-0 slog that would be great.

Something that would help with that is if their 2nd line could stop royally sucking.

jahbless

Jun 8, 2015
Tampa
The game is in Tampa, but it would not surprise me that there are more NYI fans there than TBL ones. TB does not strike me as a city that cares much about hockey.

For the past 6-7 years there has easily been more Bolts stickers, flags, banners, etc around Tampa than the Bucs or Rays.

Reactions: CupsOverCash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad