GDT: 6/15/15 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Chicago [SCF GAME 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I am proud of our boys no matter what and the growing pains experienced this year will lead to the CUP next year! I still think we need to get a little more size on the bottom 6, a playmaker for Stamkos (possibly Drouin), and a power forward. Carle will probably be shipped out which I can live with. Nesty and Wit can step up if needed. Sign a cheap vet and lets win the cup! Be proud of this team for proving the doubters wrong and to the hockey world they are the real deal. Hawks sweep? BISH please. It takes courage for Johnson, Kuch, and Bishop to play with injuries like that.

BrianBolt

Jun 6, 2015
Tampa, FL
Now that that's off my chest:

Thanks to the fans who've come over to congratulate us on a great season. It's hard for us to pat ourselves on the back right now, but it's nice to see the respect some fans around the league are giving us. As bad as this feels, in a few weeks we'll realize that a lot of teams would've loved to finish where we are (and with the entire team returning).

It was a hell of a run, and many times throughout it just seemed like when we needed a goal, we got one (or several). I guess you're only allowed so many miraculous moments in one postseason.

My hat is off to Chicago. For as much as we ran out of gas and health, the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win and they did it. I absolutely feel like we could've beaten them because we're a more talented team. I stand by that. Sometimes you need to learn a valuable lesson in handling pressure and overcoming obstacles and they were a great teacher tonight. Rolling 4 D, being very opportunistic, and getting their forecheck going for extended periods to take away any offensive momentum we could muster. Also, they reminded me of our 2004 run when blocked shots were the name of the game (Gary Thorne once commented that they should rename the blocked shot a "Kubina"). I heard they blocked something like 25 shots last night. That's amazing! My hat's off to them, but oh what could've been. I only hope we can stay healthy next year and make another run but I'll be in mourning for about 3 months. Then it's time to use all this hurt, anger, and frustration to fuel an entire season of revenge on anyone who dared question whether we belonged.

Next season: Farewell Morrow! Nice guy but doesn't fit the speed game we have. Carle and Sustr I'm not sure about. From what I've read here I don't think we can get rid of Carle but it would be nice. With Ohlunds salary leaving the cap, we may be able to bring in another quality defenseman. That's the most glaring need as far as I can see. I think a return to health, and the experience for our players will help next year. I'm not thrilled with the way Stammer played this playoff season (although he was good last night) so he needs to use this experience and build on it. I would still love to see the speed of Brown, who is a puck seeking missile, on a line with Stamkos because he's so good and maintaining and/or gaining possession. It'll be an interesting off-season and I can't wait to start again.

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
The loss hurts but it was a great season and a great playoff run. The second best year in Lightning history. I take consolation in knowing that there are more great years to come..........................

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I was with the crowd saying Hawks in 4, I got to admit you guys proved me wrong and till the clock read 30 seconds I was still scared with that 2 goal lead. Congrats and you have earned my respect, didn't know many of your players up close by now I sure do. Hope to make this a tradition and meet in the finals again!

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Big time players make big time plays in big time games.

Theirs did...ours did not. Two goals over the last 3 games. Pathetic.

Chicago played a defense oriented game - low and slow. Coop did not adjust accordingly and they dictated play. They couldn't skate with us so Q took it away. That's what championship coaches and teams do. It's hard to get back - ask the Pens or NYR. Tough one to swallow.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Remember when Cooper said he thought they played well in a ****** game and then he watched the tape and wanted to vomit ? I have a feeling he's going to be feeling exactly the same way when re-watching this series during the summer. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes because he made quite a few of them. I'm not blaming the loss on him but winning the Cup next year requires him to make some changes. We can't win if we don't adjust under any circumstances. I guarantee that someone will get injured next year. If Cooper's only solution is to keep playing them in exactly the same way then there's going to be a problem.

I do have faith in Cooper though. It's easy to forget that he's coached only 10 more NHL games in his career than Palat has played. He still has a lot of learning to do.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I look back at these playoffs and it was a success. We knocked out the cup favorites the Rangers so some revenge was served there, had an overall great run after getting swept last season. The only players I think need to be gone are Sustr, Carle, and Morrow. The rest of this team has the potential to get back to the finals and win the cup as soon as next season.

Oh and we get a nifty eastern conference champions banner that will be forever in the rafters. So it's a good start for this young and veteran core.

Man Reay

Peanut Gallery
Oct 1, 2013
Big Chicago
The only thing I don't like about the Stanley Cup.playoffs is the way it turns into a war of attrition, with teams becoming a shell of themselves by the end of the final. Would have loved to have seen a best of 7 between fully healthy Hawks and Bolts teams.

You guys have a great team to root for, one that the fans of 28 other organizations would love to support. I know from experience that it won't be easy, but put this loss behind you asap and start thinking about the '15-'16 season. Should be a bright one for the Lightning and you.

MrWilson*

Tampa should have won against this Hawkes team. In fact, it seemed tough for them to lose it. They did. Why??

Tampa was outcoached. Period. Plenty of chances to win this game and the series. Cooper just either refused to initiate strategies against Chicago to force Q to adjust or didn't adjust to Qs strategies or didn't quite get it until it was too late. The coaching gap steadily widened. The SCF is a series of attrition, timing, adjustments and utilizing what you have, when you have it available. Jon will have to review a lot of film and let it sink in.

Great coach, just needs more seasoning to get it right.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Congrats to the Lightning on a fantastic season. SC Final could not have been any tighter. Your team has a brighter immediate future than any team in the East.

See you next year in the Finals and perhaps your best offensive threat won't have a broken wrist. (And maybe we'll have more than 4 NHL defensemen on our roster, but whatever.)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tampa should have won against this Hawkes team. In fact, it seemed tough for them to lose it. They did. Why??

Tampa was outcoached. Period. Plenty of chances to win this game and the series. Cooper just either refused to initiate strategies against Chicago to force Q to adjust or didn't adjust to Qs strategies or didn't quite get it until it was too late. The coaching gap steadily widened. The SCF is a series of attrition, timing, adjustments and utilizing what you have, when you have it available. Jon will have to review a lot of film and let it sink in.

Great coach, just needs more seasoning to get it right.

I agree that this was a factor, and it was a factor throughout the playoffs. Luckily, we had a reasonably healthy TKO for three rounds, and they could overcome whatever stubbornness was going on behind the bench.

Coop deserves a lot of credit for the good things he did, but his refusal to adjust cost us at multiple points.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I look back at these playoffs and it was a success. We knocked out the cup favorites the Rangers so some revenge was served there, had an overall great run after getting swept last season. The only players I think need to be gone are Sustr, Carle, and Morrow. The rest of this team has the potential to get back to the finals and win the cup as soon as next season.

Oh and we get a nifty eastern conference champions banner that will be forever in the rafters. So it's a good start for this young and veteran core.

I agree taht this season absolutly was a success. Beating Montreal and the Rangers were great moments. We proved we could play with Chicago and with a heathly team we probably win. Heck with a few different coaching decisions we probably win. While I am disapointed in the loss I cannot wait for next year as the future absolutly looks bright. Trim some of the fat and bring in some fresh blood and we will make Seabrook look like a modern day prophet.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Remember when Cooper said he thought they played well in a ****** game and then he watched the tape and wanted to vomit ? I have a feeling he's going to be feeling exactly the same way when re-watching this series during the summer. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes because he made quite a few of them. I'm not blaming the loss on him but winning the Cup next year requires him to make some changes. We can't win if we don't adjust under any circumstances. I guarantee that someone will get injured next year. If Cooper's only solution is to keep playing them in exactly the same way then there's going to be a problem.

I do have faith in Cooper though. It's easy to forget that he's coached only 10 more NHL games in his career than Palat has played. He still has a lot of learning to do.

I have faith in cooper also but i'm getting tired of him learning this league! I don't think the series vs detriot or montreal should have been long! should not have taken long to understand palat can't win faceoffs! playing carle and sustr too long watching them get stuck in are zone the whole shift. Not splitting the triplets up ? the power play ? what's wrong with it ? when I look at these things i'm amazed we went this far! every year guys get hurt you have to make line changes with that to adapt!

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Wings fan coming to congratulate you guys. Sincerely thought you were the better team. A lot to be proud of with your club

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree taht this season absolutly was a success. Beating Montreal and the Rangers were great moments. We proved we could play with Chicago and with a heathly team we probably win. Heck with a few different coaching decisions we probably win. While I am disapointed in the loss I cannot wait for next year as the future absolutly looks bright. Trim some of the fat and bring in some fresh blood and we will make Seabrook look like a modern day prophet.

The crazy part of all this, we are back at it in 3 months pretty much . Last year was like a 5 month wait .

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
The box for Chicago had timmonen, TVR, vermette (at times), versteeg (at times), bickell (at times) who are all, with the exception of TVR and possibly timmonen, better than our options that were either playing or sitting with the exception of drouin.

Hawks had plenty of players. Look at the impact kane and Toews had vs vermette and versteeg. Vermette and versteen won them 2 games. Kane and Toews did not. How many games did our individuals win for us? None. Callahan and paquette stepped up early, then nobody else did.

I've said it 274373945 times, I'll say it again, the best offense and best home team loses two out of their four losses at home and scores 2 goals in games 4-6. Bishop had a torn groin and kept us in every game. Regardless of that game 5 blunder of the century. You have to score. They came up with plays when needed, we couldn't even score up 2 men against them TWICE in the series. Booo.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Too many missed opportunities bout sums it up for me. Hopefully they'll learn from this and won't squander it next time. This team never should have lost 3 straight, they're better than that, such a shame. :shakehead

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Well, You guys ready for a Panthers-Lightning First Round Florida Rivalry next april?

Congrats on a great run. With a couple of more tweaks it will be the bolts hoisting cups over their heads very soon.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Now that I've had the time to sleep on it I feel much better, now while I'm still disappointed I'm also hopefull for the future and what it will bring for this team.

Sucks with Bishops and Johnsons injuries though not surprising, you could see that they were hurt, now I guess whenever they have that day when they do the final interviews I'm guessing maybe tomorrow we'll know the full extent of all the inuries, these two were just the most obvious once but injuries are part of the game so hopefully they will all be ok at the start of training camp.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Hawks fan here, just wanted to say congrats on a great season. I have zero doubt you guys are on the verge of something great.

I know I didn't give y'all the credit you deserved at the start of this series and I was still in disbelief all the way through the series. I really thought we would separate ourselves at some point, but never did. The fight your players have is something that is very special. I think you have to find a lot of solace in the fact that your team has championship grit. I never thought you'd win game seven in MSG against the King, you did. I never thought you'd be able to keep the Hawks offense down all series long, you did. The Tampa Bay Lightning are a great hockey team. You'll be back.

And my Lord, Victor Hedman. That dude is an absolute stud. Patrick Kane acknowledged it in the post game, which really says a lot to me. It wasn't that Kane was having a bad series. Hedman was shutting him down. He is one of very few that have that ability.

The future is bright for you guys. Congrats again on a great season. Good luck moving forward.

PS. - If you ever meet the Blues or the Ducks, take care of business please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad