GDT: 6/15/15 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Chicago [SCF GAME 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Understand that. However, which is the lessor of 2 evils. Having Drej take draws or having to double shift Filp on both the Stammer and Palat lines (on face offs and the odd reg shift) and/or have Boyle take the draw and seek a quick change to get Johnson back out on the ice.

In case it was missed, our line changes were horrid this series so forgive me if I side with Cooper on this one and having Drej take the draws.

Why is that the only option? Stamkos and Filppula had lost their earlier magic by the midway point of this series. We didn't need to keep them glued together. We could have juggled the lines accordingly. As it was, our top line was badly hobbled. They were a shell of TKO, so there was very little reason to keep them together. I have no issue with Coop giving them the benefit of the doubt for a few games, but it got pretty clear that they couldn't be effective with Palat taking the draws and Johnson playing at about 60%. I don't think Coop should have gone to his grave with them.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I went to the watch party at Amalie and it was amazing. I love this team and these fans. It was a disappointing result but not completely surprising. None of us planned on this being our year and getting as far as we did just shows what an amazing team we have. We know what the holes in our team are. By this time next year those holes will be filled and Stamkos will be lifting the Cup. This team has barely scratched the surface of what they can do and I am so proud of what they've already done.

On a game-related note Drouin had one completely ridiculous dominant shift in the 2nd period and I am so excited for his future with this team as well as all the other young talent that didn't play much or at all in these playoffs

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I get it. Scapegoats are being sought for the loss in the Finals. This is not one of those scenarios, however.

If you end up having Stammer between Palat and Kucherov you now put all your eggs in one basket. Cooper went with not messing with the integrity of the top 2 lines. The fact is, if the Hawks weren't already (going into this series) better on draws than us then certainly having Stamkos dinged up, Johnson unable to take draws and Filp being just over 50%... that 100 ft gap became a 500 ft gap.

I can think of about 4 other reasons better than this that contributed to losing this series.

Not intended on being condescending, DFC, or rude and my apologies if it comes off that way. This is just not one of the albatrosses I'm willing to hang around Coopers neck is all.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Why is that the only option? Stamkos and Filppula had lost their earlier magic by the midway point of this series. We didn't need to keep them glued together. We could have juggled the lines accordingly. As it was, our top line was badly hobbled. They were a shell of TKO, so there was very little reason to keep them together. I have no issue with Coop giving them the benefit of the doubt for a few games, but it got pretty clear that they couldn't be effective with Palat taking the draws and Johnson playing at about 60%. I don't think Coop should have gone to his grave with them.

100% agreed, having Palat take draws was idotic with Filppula and Stamkos on the other line. TKO was done and needed to be broken up, that's the 1st time this season I could say that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I get it. Scapegoats are being sought for the loss in the Finals. This is not one of those scenarios, however.

If you end up having Stammer between Palat and Kucherov you now put all your eggs in one basket. Cooper went with not messing with the integrity of the top 2 lines. The fact is, if the Hawks weren't already (going into this series) better on draws than us then certainly having Stamkos dinged up, Johnson unable to take draws and Filp being just over 50%... that 100 ft gap became a 500 ft gap.

I can think of about 4 other reasons better than this that contributed to losing this series.

Not intended on being condescending, DFC, or rude and my apologies if it comes off that way. This is just not one of the albatrosses I'm willing to hang around Coopers neck is all.

How so?

Palat-Stamkos-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan
Drouin-Paquette-Johnson
Morrow-Boyle-Brown

Doesn't look like we're stacking any one line to me, Cooper had a ton of possibilities with the pieces he had, even through injuries.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Coop was slow to adjust throughout the playoffs. I'm not saying we lost soley because of him by any means. But I think there were clear mistakes, and he went to his grave with those mistakes, refusing to adjust. It was even brought up, finally, on the CBC broadcast that Coop "didn't want to look like he was panicking."

We had a major problem at times in these playoffs when we were essentially a one line team. After the Johnson injury, we got to see what the team looked like with that line taken away. The Stamkos line was decent for a second line, but nothing that simply HAD to be kept intact. It's not like they'd had a ton of success in this series.

There were a number of line combinations that could have had a better effect than putting TKO on the ice but having them start every shift without the puck. It was fine to give them a shot to stick together, but we could see it wasn't working 2-3 games ago.

Quennville shook things up whenever he felt like it was needed. On our side of things, there were times when it was clearly needed.

Why have Johnson set up on the circle when he couldn't shoot the puck? Why not give Palat and Kucherov a centerman who could win possession off the draw at least once in a while? Why play Brenden Morrow game after game after game?

Coop was far from the biggest reason we lost, but his failure to adjust in the face of consistently bad results wasn't exactly helping us either.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sure that looks good on paper. Now go and throw together the matchups on the Hawks Roster to counter that. Makes it easier for Q, no?

No not really, so how does having Johnson on the first line with Palat taking draws harder then Stamkos on the first line with Johnson on the 3rd :laugh:, not to mention Killorn-Filppula-Callahan wasn't tried all series and they were one of the best combinations all season.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Palat won 50 percent of his face offs last night DFC, Paquette went 0 for 13, Filppula 6 for 16, Boyle 3 for 10....

No one on Tampa was good at taking FO in that series anyway, all were completely outplayed, the numbers are atrocious no matter how you spin it.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
To me, these are the reasons why we lost this series.

* We didn't bury our chances

* Mental Mistakes - throw in horrid line changes, undisciplined line changes, etc here

* Didn't utilize this rosters speed 100%

* Sprinkle in a couple of undisciplined penalties

* Power(less) Play - And I know, makes it harder when you don't get any either

* Key players injured and gutting it out

In all, it just wasn't our time. There was barely anything to learn from being swept last season in the Playoffs other than it sucked. This year, there's plenty to take away and learned going into next season.

Am I disappointed? Absolutely. They just lost in the Cup Finals.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
No not really, so how does having Johnson on the first line with Palat taking draws harder then Stamkos on the first line with Johnson on the 3rd :laugh:, not to mention Killorn-Filppula-Callahan wasn't tried all series and they were one of the best combinations all season.

Was Killorn-Filppula-Callahan as a line tried in the entire Playoffs?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat won 50 percent of his face offs last night DFC, Paquette went 0 for 13, Filppula 6 for 16, Boyle 3 for 10....

No one on Tampa was good at taking FO in that series anyway, all were completely outplayed, the numbers are atrocious no matter how you spin it.

yeah, I saw he was listed at 4-4, and yet remarkably TKO rarely if ever got possession of those pucks.

Faceoffs, in general, were definitely a problem. And I hope it's something we work on in the off-season. But there's no way around the fact that our top line was in complete disarray because of injuries and we were depending on a fairly impotent second line for scoring.

Cooper did a lot of things right in these playoffs, but there was also a lot of stubbornness going on. Coop has a history of going with "his guys." The problem is, when those guys are badly injured, you can't keep sticking them out there like they're the ones who're going to come through for you.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Fun while it lasted. Got really depressed right before the game was gonna end. But it was a great run. We'll be back in the finals again. Chicago's lucky that their opponent was so injury riddled.

They're still a good team, but by no means were they at their finest.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This was a great run, guys. And I will always think the injuries had their part in it. Tough luck.

I hope Y can continue on his great GM path so far and hold this team together for a couple more runs.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Pretty much, one hand they made the SCF on the other, they were 2 wins away from winning it all.

Yep, just sucks not knowing when we'll be back here again.

On the bright side, we've got one helluva team here and a great management team to steer it in the right direction.

As the saying goes, you have to lose one, to win one.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We did have two centermen playing on another line. We all love TKO, but if they can't win draws and 2/3 guys are injured, you have to make an adjustment. Did Palat win a single draw tonight???

You'll be surprised:

TBL FO% for game 6:
1. Palat 50%
1. Stamkos 50%
3. Filppula 38%
4. Boyle 30%
5. Paquette 0% (Toews destroyed him)
5. Brown 0%

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm not interested at all in breaking down why we lost. Boys left it all out there, that's all you can ask.

Hell of a season and let's finish the job next season.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
You'll be surprised:

TBL FO% for game 6:
1. Palat 50%
1. Stamkos 50%
3. Filppula 38%
4. Boyle 30%
5. Paquette 0% (Toews destroyed him)
5. Brown 0%

thank God we signed Boyle for faceoffs and his playoff performance. He didnt impress me much, Paquette, Killorn, Callahan, etc can kill penalties. He had a much better postseason last year than this year. Not too pleased.

BrianBolt

Jun 6, 2015
Tampa, FL
I didn't comment on the game last night as I was at the watch party at Amalie. It was a beautiful thing. The game wasn't. I'm going to collect my game thoughts and post them but first I have to comment on something that pisses me off even more:

MIKE FREAKIN MILBURY. Apparently, he said the Lightning were making excuses because Bishop finally disclosed his groin injury. He wanted it to be Chicagos night, and wanted us out of the way while they celebrate the series win. Interesting. This is the same man who, while we were accepting the Prince of Wales trophy, was talking non stop about the injury to McDonough and then proceeded to do a 2 hour post-mortem on the Rangers and what they need to do for next year. These very boards (Lightning and the main boards) were talking about it and laughing all night. Even fans from other teams were commenting on the main boards that he barely referenced the new Eastern Conference champions because he had to finish gushing over McDonough and discuss how the Rangers would be back. But now? Nooooo.... the team that loses should just go away. We served our purpose and now should shut up. Ya know what Milbury you shut the ******* up! Sick of the lack of respect. He didn't want us here, too bad. We were here, and like Coop said we were gamers. Chicago beat us. They beat us with an injured goalie, and an injured Tyler Johnson. They might've beaten us otherwise, this doesn't take away from their achievement. We've lived and died with our guys this long and it was nice to finally know what condition they're in.

Losing the cup is bad, but to see the lack of respect from the refs last night and a few (not all) in the media and amongst other fans is sickening. Time to kick the door down next year and begin the Lightning dynasty!

Last edited:

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
Sad, but proud. They got within 2 games of winning it all, they just weren't able to pull it off. Live and learn, I'm sure they learned a lot of what it's going to take to make it happen. With any luck they they'll find themselves this close again soon and will put what they have learned this season to work and hopefully be able take it all.

Looking forward to next season, get rid of the dead weight, we all know who they are, fix our damn PP and get someone that can win faceoffs in here.

Can't wait...:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad