Prospect Info: 5th overall: Vancouver selects Elias Pettersson (Timra, Allsvenskan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Excellent pick. Vilardi would have been better "value" but there's something to be said about just taking the player you want. Glad to get a much need injection of skill into the prospect pool.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Swing for the fences type pick, can't say I blame them. Hope he works out, welcome to the club kid.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Unlike many people on this forum I'm not going to pretend I've watched the available players in enough detail to have a preference. But I want the Canucks to pick high-skill, high-ceiling players. They seem to have done that here.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Unlike many people on this forum I'm not going to pretend I've watched the available players in enough detail to have a preference. But I want the Canucks to pick high-skill, high-ceiling players. They seem to have done that here.
Exactly.

I've been no fan of Benning since day one. But I'm okay with this one right now.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
No because he's arguably the best offensive player in the draft ?

Assuming Jim "Derp" Benning didn't take the linemates thing into consideration is just naive at this point. Plus snake-oil Linden is salivating at marketing Sedins 2.0.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Really like the potential of this pick. This is a guy who has the skill and trajectory to potentially become a #1C for us in a few years after Sedin retires. This is what we wanted and needed so I have no issues with this.

Seems to have a higher ceiling than Glass anyway so I am fine with this.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Also means, sedins may stay a few years longer (cheaper contracts hopefully) and mentor the hell out of Pettersson and dhalen

If I was management, I'd beg them to, we desperately need someone to take the reins after the Sedins as future stars of the franchise.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Happy with the pick, definitely one of the highest upside players available in the draft. Looking forward to watching how he develops over the next couple of years.

I don't think it hurts that the Sedin's, Edler and Markstrom are all on the roster either. I'm sure they will tutor him both on the ice and off the ice and help him adjust to the North American game.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
No problem with the pick, have to wonder if we would’ve gotten him by trading down.

I have to agree there could have been a trade down there.

Good to see them go for skill...but that is a very slight frame, not sure he will ever be as cut as Nylander, and we already have a forward group full of soft, perimeter players.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Gotta give credit to management for actually going with offensive upside. Let's hope he fills out and becomes less of a perimeter player.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Honestly, this is the first time I haven't wanted to murder management over one of our top 10 picks so that's a start.

People who don't like this pick imo will really come around. Or at least appreciate Pettersson's ceiling.

thegutter

May 22, 2011
Fairly happy with the pick. Between him and glass. Vilardi seems to be falling obviously teams are convinced about his skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad