Post-Game Talk: #59: FLYERS 3 at Red Wings 1, Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019, 6:00 pm ET

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Wings attendance looks as bad as the Panthers. Pretty sad
I said it in the GDT but they had to change their seat covers in the lower bowl because of how poorly it looked on tv with half the building empty.

Hilarious they didn’t see this coming. Even more hilarious they had to “upgrade” a two year old building.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Exactly.

In a year like this, where wins don't even matter, I'm 100% focused on the team being set up for future success, not meaningless wins that get us no closer to a cup. Even IF we make the playoffs this year, we're not winning a cup so it's all for nothing.
Young guys NEED to get proper icetime because that's the only way this team has a chance to contend in the future. Ghost is just one example, there's plenty of other guys being screwed over right now. Look at TKs icetime as another example. Or Myers. Or a ton of other examples in the recent past. They aren't getting ruined but this slows progress.

On top of that, wins right now could **** us over because it runs the risk, no matter how small, of Fletcher keeping Gordon around. He's admitted that the teams recent play has made him think twice about selling at the deadline, so clearly he's not a smart guy who looks at the big picture. If he's dumb enough to consider keeping Simmonds around then he's dumb enough to consider keeping Gordon.
This is what I hate so much about hockey, they never see the bigger picture because their heads are so far up their asses, they let short term success cloud their judgment, IF they make the playoffs they will be bounced in the first round, it will be embarrassing and not worth the sacrifice of the future to try to make a fake cup run when they know they dothave the horses to win that type of race, I wish they would hire someone who knows hockey but has zero emotional attachment and can see the bigger picture

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm sure the Flyers will want all the defense and experience they can get vs. Tampa so expect Hagg to soak up huge minutes LMAO.

Tampa of course will skate circles around him.

Talbot's visa issues won't be settled till Thursday but I'm guessing he plays that night in Canada and Hart plays vs. TB and PIT.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Exactly.

In a year like this, where wins don't even matter, I'm 100% focused on the team being set up for future success, not meaningless wins that get us no closer to a cup. Even IF we make the playoffs this year, we're not winning a cup so it's all for nothing.
Young guys NEED to get proper icetime because that's the only way this team has a chance to contend in the future. Ghost is just one example, there's plenty of other guys being screwed over right now. Look at TKs icetime as another example. Or Myers. Or a ton of other examples in the recent past. They aren't getting ruined but this slows progress.

On top of that, wins right now could **** us over because it runs the risk, no matter how small, of Fletcher keeping Gordon around. He's admitted that the teams recent play has made him think twice about selling at the deadline, so clearly he's not a smart guy who looks at the big picture. If he's dumb enough to consider keeping Simmonds around then he's dumb enough to consider keeping Gordon.

Yeah, the problem is Gordon is coaching for a job, and his idea of trying to win games was the same as Hak the difference between being Hart

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
I get so excited when I see Patrick out there now. He’s a true impact player. Skating looks dynamic, he wins puck battles, creates offense every time he touches the puck. The defense is backing up when he’s coming at them with the puck now.

Coots and Lindblom are killing it as a duo and Patrick is becoming a monster. Fun stuff

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Fletcher should have told Gordon from the start that this was a developmental year and that his job was to ... develop the team.

Unfortunately they've acted all along that winning every game was priority and they've gotten close enough to the playoffs that there's no stopping this train now.

Just as we can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel with AMac, we've got a defenseman who's arguably worse in Hagg, getting huge minutes in a game with 7 D. It's like one step forward, two steps back with this team constantly.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I said it in the GDT but they had to change their seat covers in the lower bowl because of how poorly it looked on tv with half the building empty.

Hilarious they didn’t see this coming. Even more hilarious they had to “upgrade” a two year old building.
Lil Caesar’s is a nice venue. Good sight lines and close to the ice. Only drag is the width of the seats; they are a bit narrow. I live fifty miles south of the place and usually go up there when the Flyers are in town. Passed on this one due to snow and road construction. Maybe next year.
Wings fans are pretty loyal to the club. They’ve been hosed by Datsyuk bailing on his contract and Zetterburg hurting his back. They were preparing for a rebuild but losing those guys hurt. Then Babcock jumped ship.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This was a strange game, pulled up the boxscore and some weird crap:

Lindblom had 2 goals, but SCF/CA was 1/8, Corsi was 26%.
Myers SCF/CA was 1/9
MacDonald and Hagg did not have good games, but Sanheim was also a bit shaky, he really doesn't belong as 1RHD.
Provorov and Ghost were the two players who held their own.

Myers did show one thing the Flyers sorely miss, 1st period he was clearing everyone out of the crease, some cross-checks, but nothing too blatant, then the adrenaline wore off and he wasn't as aggressive on defense.

Gordon isn't a good coach, but except for the few with orange colored glasses, this isn't a good team, dominated once again.
People who think Fletcher will kept the core intact after watching the last month of play are whistling past the graveyard.

On the other hand, we can stop whining about the Hockey Gods hating us, unless something really bad happens (shades of Pelle), we may have the best goalie in the NHL over the next two decades. The kid is good, really, really, good.

Reactions: Foggy14

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This was a strange game, pulled up the boxscore and some weird crap:

Lindblom had 2 goals, but SCF/CA was 1/8, Corsi was 26%.
Myers SCF/CA was 1/9
MacDonald and Hagg did not have good games, but Sanheim was also a bit shaky, he really doesn't belong as 1RHD.
Provorov and Ghost were the two players who held their own.

Myers did show one thing the Flyers sorely miss, 1st period he was clearing everyone out of the crease, some cross-checks, but nothing too blatant, then the adrenaline wore off and he wasn't as aggressive on defense.

Gordon isn't a good coach, but except for the few with orange colored glasses, this isn't a good team, dominated once again.
People who think Fletcher will kept the core intact after watching the last month of play are whistling past the graveyard.

On the other hand, we can stop whining about the Hockey Gods hating us, unless something really bad happens (shades of Pelle), we may have the best goalie in the NHL over the next two decades. The kid is good, really, really, good.

Gordon isn't a good coach? Really? You're passing judgement on him already?

How can you do that when he has a flawed roster? By your standards, repeated often, you cannot judge him yet.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
we can stop whining about the Hockey Gods hating us, unless something really bad happens (shades of Pelle), we may have the best goalie in the NHL over the next two decades. The kid is good, really, really, good.

kbgAdrf.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm a Philadelphia sports fan, pessimism is the air I breathe.
And one should stay humble before the sports' Gods, unless you're Tom Brady who would prefer to rule in hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad