OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Umm...is anybody worried about war breaking out with North Korea.....there are some serious ominous signs....

If it happens the human race will be entering into uncharted territory....I hope the brinkmanship doesn't end in a catastrophe. There is no military solution to NK....at least if we want to avoid the potential for mass casualties that would trigger a chain of potentially unimaginable worse events...

Disconcerting to hear how South Korea, the North Koreans, England, U.S. and Japan are all on a war footing...

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I liked the movie Kids it is a classic movie about young teenage love and AIDS. There I said it.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Umm...is anybody worried about war breaking out with North Korea.....there are some serious ominous signs....

If it happens the human race will be entering into uncharted territory....I hope the brinkmanship doesn't end in a catastrophe. There is no military solution to NK....at least if we want to avoid the potential for mass casualties that would trigger a chain of potentially unimaginable worse events...

Disconcerting to hear how South Korea, the North, England, U.S. and Japan are all on a war footing...

Kim Jung Un has the good life right now.

He’s not going to mess that up by getting wiped off the face of the Earth.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Apparently earlier in the year the CIA tried to knock him off..or so the North Koreans claim. Plausible though...

Anyway, if he feels cornered he could do something drastic. This is the danger in the brinkmanship our country and this Prez is engaging in right now. Somebody is going to blink and for all our sake it better not be because of a white nuclear flash ...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Exactly, it's all a show.

People say that what the North Korean government does to their country/citizens proves they're insane and that's why we should be worried about them doing something crazy, but that's not the case. Everything they do, while maybe appearing insane on the surface, is an extremely effective way to control their people so they can stay in power. They know if they do anything for real, like actually bombing a country, they'll be destroyed and lose everything. They aren't that stupid, lose it all to gain absolutely nothing.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Disconcerting to hear how South Korea, the North Koreans, England, U.S. and Japan are all on a war footing...
tweet_tweak_south.gif

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

People say that what the North Korean government does to their country/citizens proves they're insane and that's why we should be worried about them doing something crazy, but that's not the case. Everything they do, while maybe appearing insane on the surface, is an extremely effective way to control their people so they can stay in power. They know if they do anything for real, like actually bombing a country, they'll be destroyed and lose everything. They aren't that stupid, lose it all to gain absolutely nothing.
I fear our reactionary prez tbh more than the North Koreans. They are interested in self preservation at all costs..hence the nuke advances and missile advances. They are not giving up that capability and if they feel they will be preemptively attacked like our prez keeps insinuating all rationality goes out the window..they will not go down without inflicting their own damage on the South Koreans and Japan..and maybe the US mainland. It is just beyond comprehension to talk so cavalier about wiping "them" off the map and thinking it would be a contained action....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

They beat the US to a drum in every competition in the Olympics every go around according to their government controlled news stations. :laugh:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Our corporate controlled news stations aren't exactly the most democratic clearinghouses either....

Anyway....we have a lunatic with access to the nuclear football..

Trump in recent days has shown flashes of fury and left his aides, including White House chief of staff John F. Kelly, scrambling to manage his outbursts. He has been frustrated in particular with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who was reported last week to have earlier called the president a "moron." Trump's Sunday morning Twitter tirade against Corker caught staffers by surprise, although the president had been brooding over the senator's comment a few days earlier about Trump's "chaos" endangering the nation.

One Trump confidant likened the president to a whistling teapot, saying that when he does not blow off steam, he can turn into a pressure cooker and explode. "I think we are in pressure cooker territory," said this person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk candidly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...115744-ad0d-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Our corporate controlled news stations aren't exactly the most democratic clearinghouses either....

Anyway....we have a lunatic with access to the nuclear football..

Never said they weren’t but they’re not lying about stupid shit like that out of penis envy. Their people have no choice but to believe it or otherwise risk getting killed.

Do you really believe the other people in charge are going to allow Trump to use a nuclear weapon? Those things are essentially deterrents for show.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
What I’m really worried about is Trump basically abolishing the EPA. Pruitt’s speech in Kentucky made me sick today. Saying the war on coal is over. So much ignorance. Leaving the Clean Air Programs set up by the Obama Administration to lower emissions. And even after leaving the program, the coal jobs aren’t even coming back and Pruitt is acting like he’s the lord and savior of Coal Country bringing jobs back. It’s all an act. Disheartening to see the Trump Administration basically denying science. And I’m a conservative too (Kasich was my candidate). Climate change is real and it’s a major problem that is only starting to reveal the worst effects.

Sorry if this is too political

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
We wouldn’t be fighting North Korea for oil money though.

We didnt fight the last war over oil money either. China has as much a hand in this snafu as the DPRK, dont forget that. China is beginning to utilize DPRK against its western rivals in much the same way the US has historically used Israel/Occupied Palestine. A militarily armed and competent nation with a willingness to keep its hand on the trigger to keep their common enemy on edge. As China moves forward from a de facto superpower to a de jure one on the international stage it will utilize elements like Kim's nuclear arsenal and its symbiotic relationship to the aid and influence of China as a way of further levelling the playing field between itself and the US. It'll be fascinating to see these political elements as they unfold.

Damn this thread took some interesting turns over the last couple pages. Shoutout the French New Wave fans. Another really good and innovative modern romance film is An Oversimplification of Her Beauty. Sort of obscure but really avant garde in its presentation and use of multimedia. Underrated af.

Any book suggestions? Genre doesnt matter just anything that you find interesting

Also: I'll reiterate that Jar Jar Abrams will never get my $ after the last abomination he put out

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They beat the US to a drum in every competition in the Olympics every go around according to their government controlled news stations. :laugh:
That's impressive as hell, but not surprising.

Clearly that country is just full of crazy naturally talented people, like how Kim Jong-Il had 11 hole-in-ones in 18 holes the first time he ever tried golf. This was verified by his 17 bodyguards, so I don't see how it could be fake. ;) :laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
That's impressive as hell, but not surprising.

Clearly that country is just full of crazy naturally talented people, like how Kim Jong-Il had 11 hole-in-ones in 18 holes the first time he ever tried golf. This was verified by his 17 bodyguards, so I don't see how it could be fake. ;) :laugh:

Let's all have a moment of silence for the keepers of the 7 holes who didn't manage to get his ball into the cup.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The North Korea situation does look awfully dire and you hit the nail on the head about China pulling the strings, Lotus. Rational thought dictates that nobody is going to push a button to start a nuclear war; however, the more the two heads of state bluster and threaten, the less latitude there is for a face-saving way out. I have run a few online ballistic missile scenarios around Montreal to see what my survival odds are.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The North Korea situation does look awfully dire and you hit the nail on the head about China pulling the strings, Lotus. Rational thought dictates that nobody is going to push a button to start a nuclear war; however, the more the two heads of state bluster and threaten, the less latitude there is for a face-saving way out. I have run a few online ballistic missile scenarios around Montreal to see what my survival odds are.

My real life is a ballistic missile scenario - I am starting grad school next year so that I have the opportunity to work and live in Japan, over which that fat turd is chucking missiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad