OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As far as Star Wars goes, as long as the movies are better than the prequels I'm fine with it. That's an incredibly low bar, but I've always loved Star Wars so that alone makes the movie watchable for me.

I think too many people are comparing these new movies to the original trilogy, which of course makes them seem bad in comparison. But if that's what you're doing you aren't even giving yourself a chance to enjoy them.

Obviously the movies aren't perfect (amongst the issues is the fact that they've chosen to bash you over the head with how diverse they are... if it was a natural thing that would be 100% fine, but they clearly had a checklist where they said "we need this and this and this and that") but they're decent enough to watch.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I grew up with both Star Wars and Star Trek and I chose Star Trek in the end. It clicks more with me. I think it's because I generally like Sci-Fi more than Sci-Fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I like Star Wars just fine, but no where to the extent as others.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I honestly did not think The Force Awakens was that good. Like not better than the originals, but better than the prequels. However, I thought Rogue One was fantastic and 2nd of the Star Wars movies behind Empire Strikes Back

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The North Korea situation does look awfully dire and you hit the nail on the head about China pulling the strings, Lotus. Rational thought dictates that nobody is going to push a button to start a nuclear war; however, the more the two heads of state bluster and threaten, the less latitude there is for a face-saving way out. I have run a few online ballistic missile scenarios around Montreal to see what my survival odds are.

We have Rex Effin Tillerson as our head diplomat...think about that for a minute? The dude has been quoted as saying 'I'm not a diplomat" in response to another diplomatic row I can't recall right now since the whole world is one big mess these days . He has Mad Dog Mattis right behind him telling the military to be prepared in the event diplomacy fails and a President that these days has to be contained from his rages. This is worse than when they had to contain that drunkard Nixon from pushing the button....

Reactions: Rebels57

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I feel like they revealed in a lot in that trailer and now I'm kind of mad that I saw it.

I think a lot of it is misdirection, honestly.

I'm not sure Kylo kills Leia like it so obviously made it look like. It's way too obvious.

They also have the potential misdirection of Rey reaching out to Kylo (which I do think will happen at some point) as it looks like they're in two different places if you look at it.

I also think Luke is talking about Palpatine or maybe even himself when he references how he saw this power once before but he wasn't scared then but it makes it look like he's talking about Kylo/Rey but meh.

Which that honestly kinda bothers me that Kylo and Rey just come along being more powerful then anyone else? More powerful then Luke friggin Skywalker out of nowhere.

I know that this movie is going to focus on the whole Gray Jedi concept and Luke isn't necessarily going to be a "good guy" anymore which is going to piss a lot of people off both in real life and in the movie (Rey).

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Star Wars needs to do something more interesting with their new installments. TFA was just a ANH rehash. It felt empty. What even is the First Order? How is it a thing?

TLJ seems interesting because it might develop the good vs evil dynamic. I'd like to see grey Jedi.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Star Wars needs to do something more interesting with their new installments. TFA was just a ANH rehash. It felt empty. What even is the First Order? How is it a thing?

TLJ seems interesting because it might develop the good vs evil dynamic. I'd like to see grey Jedi.

I'm nearly certain that's what they're going with both by the posters and the first trailer having hints towards it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We didnt fight the last war over oil money either. China has as much a hand in this snafu as the DPRK, dont forget that. China is beginning to utilize DPRK against its western rivals in much the same way the US has historically used Israel/Occupied Palestine. A militarily armed and competent nation with a willingness to keep its hand on the trigger to keep their common enemy on edge. As China moves forward from a de facto superpower to a de jure one on the international stage it will utilize elements like Kim's nuclear arsenal and its symbiotic relationship to the aid and influence of China as a way of further levelling the playing field between itself and the US. It'll be fascinating to see these political elements as they unfold.

Damn this thread took some interesting turns over the last couple pages. Shoutout the French New Wave fans. Another really good and innovative modern romance film is An Oversimplification of Her Beauty. Sort of obscure but really avant garde in its presentation and use of multimedia. Underrated af.

Any book suggestions? Genre doesnt matter just anything that you find interesting

Also: I'll reiterate that Jar Jar Abrams will never get my $ after the last abomination he put out

I had Abrams on my poo list for basically just remaking Star Trek II without having the balls to leave the major character dead like the original did; and maybe I need to rewatching, but it also didn't have any grander theme... The original is as much about coping with growing old as it is a space story and it's amazingly good at that.

When Episode VII was just another series of tributes that was the breaking point. Combine that with the fact that Lost is a garbled mass of thrown-together trash, and I've decided that he's the most overrated guy in Hollywood.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I had Abrams on my poo list for basically just remaking Star Trek II without having the balls to leave the major character dead like the original did; and maybe I need to rewatching, but it also didn't have any grander theme... The original is as much about coping with growing old as it is a space story and it's amazingly good at that.

When Episode VII was just another series of tributes that was the breaking point. Combine that with the fact that Lost is a garbled mass of thrown-together trash, and I've decided that he's the most overrated guy in Hollywood.

Abrams is to the scifi what Ben Stiller is to comedy. They're both Hollywood cool and make entertaining film ephemera, but they don't add anything worth revisiting after a few years.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I think a lot of it is misdirection, honestly.

I'm not sure Kylo kills Leia like it so obviously made it look like. It's way too obvious.

They also have the potential misdirection of Rey reaching out to Kylo (which I do think will happen at some point) as it looks like they're in two different places if you look at it.

I also think Luke is talking about Palpatine or maybe even himself when he references how he saw this power once before but he wasn't scared then but it makes it look like he's talking about Kylo/Rey but meh.

Which that honestly kinda bothers me that Kylo and Rey just come along being more powerful then anyone else? More powerful then Luke friggin Skywalker out of nowhere.

I know that this movie is going to focus on the whole Gray Jedi concept and Luke isn't necessarily going to be a "good guy" anymore which is going to piss a lot of people off both in real life and in the movie (Rey).

I think some of the stuff is too obvious as well but with Hamill and the director coming out and saying its good but too much some of that stuff might be true

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I think some of the stuff is too obvious as well but with Hamill and the director coming out and saying its good but too much some of that stuff might be true

Yep, like Johnson said that the trailer would have a spoiler in it that people will be upset about.

I just can't believe they'd be dumb enough to show Kylo killing/attempting to kill Leia in a god damn trailer.

I think it's probably Rey reaching out to Kylo (even if what we saw isn't the exact moment) because it's just too obvious that they're going to "team up" at some point with the whole Grey Jedi thing and either Johnson or Abrams said that "they're two sides to the same coin".

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I love Star Wars

I took the family to disneyworld on vacation last thanksgiving Hollywood studios there is mostly all based on the Star Wars theme. they have some really good shows any Star Wars fan would love if u get a chance to go there.

Reactions: Tripod

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Anyone watching Star Trek Discovery? CBS made it super annoying to access. I guess I'll have to wait until it goes on Netflix?

Also, I recommend watching Room 104 on HBO. Pretty unique show.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Anyone watching Star Trek Discovery? CBS made it super annoying to access. I guess I'll have to wait until it goes on Netflix?

Also, I recommend watching Room 104 on HBO. Pretty unique show.

I've watched the first two and into the 3rd episode and honestly, it gets better from the first episode. Production quality is definitely up there.

Reactions: whitstifier

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't remember who said it, but I'm also having issues with this site on my PC, but not on my phone...

It'll just randomly freeze and when I type sometimes it takes a few seconds for whatever I typed to actually appear... just really laggy and sluggish.

It also keeps logging me out randomly.

I don't want to be dramatic but this might be the worst thing of all time and I'm dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->