OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Also, I can't go too hard on jam bands as it seems the genre includes some bands I'm into. White Denim, My Morning Jacket, and Clutch are considered jam bands according to Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jam_bands

But I think everyone is on the same page when the term jam band gets tossed around...
If Les Claypool is a jam artist, then call me crunchy. I saw both Primus and G Love a couple years ago and they were damn good shows!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Also, I can't go too hard on jam bands as it seems the genre includes some bands I'm into. White Denim, My Morning Jacket, and Clutch are considered jam bands according to Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jam_bands

But I think everyone is on the same page when the term jam band gets tossed around...

My Morning Jacket puts out some outstanding traditional albums though so I dont think I would call them a jam band,

Reactions: mmvvpp

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
It's definitely not you haha. I can see the confusion though seeing as you are the board's musician. I'd love to hear your music by the way if you don't mind sharing...

If you want me to send you some stuff, i'd be happy to. I think music links are a lot like pictures of your junk. They should only be sent if explicitly requested.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
My Morning Jacket puts out some outstanding traditional albums though so I dont think I would call them a jam band,
a good point
I'm not some custy hippie or anything, but there are more than a handful of albums by Jambands [Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers] that are amazing...
but still string cheese incident & umphrey's and the like can get f***ed with a chainsaw dipped in ebola

Reactions: TroutHockey

imfree19

Apr 16, 2012
Have you ever seen them live? Thats where the classification comes from. They jam the hell out of their songs.

Also, it saddens me a bit to see people hate jambands and criticize their fans. Phish has been a favorite of mine for a while :)(although I dont like other jambands besides Phish/GD/Allmans). An open mind can go a long way with discovering new things in life.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
People on 4chan are convinced their cracking this LV case. Their theory is that is guy was an undercover federal agent working a gun running sting operation trying to sell guns to an ISIS group. His cover was blown so they killed him & the group carried out the mass shootings. The government is obviously now covering this up.

I love conspiracy theorists. :laugh:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Have you ever seen them live? Thats where the classification comes from. They jam the hell out of their songs.

Also, it saddens me a bit to see people hate jambands and criticize their fans. Phish has been a favorite of mine for a while :)(although I dont like other jambands besides Phish/GD/Allmans). An open mind can go a long way with discovering new things in life.
Allman Brothers get a pass. I pretend they are not jam bandy

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
People on 4chan are convinced their cracking this LV case. Their theory is that is guy was an undercover federal agent working a gun running sting operation trying to sell guns to an ISIS group. His cover was blown so they killed him & the group carried out the mass shootings. The government is obviously now covering this up.

I love conspiracy theorists. :laugh:

Yeah...all of the tin foil absurdities are coming out of the woodwork. I mean one can question the official line for inconsistencies in any tragic event bc sometimes the full truth may be too damaging...I mean the Kennedy assassination still hasn't been fully declassified although I think some of it is up again for release...but some of the crackpot theories that come out are beyond the pale and might actually distract from legit ones. Conspiracies exist and I am not a fan of people completely discounting them or shutting off all thought the moment the word conspiracy is uttered. I mean if conspiracies didn't exist they would not be part of American jurisprudence but some are just out there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah...all of the tin foil absurdities are coming out of the woodwork. I mean one can question the official line for inconsistencies in any tragic event bc sometimes the full truth may be too damaging...I mean the Kennedy assassination still hasn't been fully declassified although I think some of it is up again for release...but some of the crackpot theories that come out are beyond the pale and might actually distract from legit ones. Conspiracies exist and I am not a fan of people completely discounting them or shutting off all thought the moment the word conspiracy is uttered. I mean if conspiracies didn't exist they would not be part of American jurisprudence but some are just out there.

I mean don’t get me wrong I don’t trust the government or politicians. I think they’re all scumbags regardless of what party they belong to. They only care about you when something is in it for them (votes). So I don’t care enough to defend any of them or buy into everything they say.

Obviously you have history but even things today when they come out about the government being shady. They’re usually stuff that doesn’t make you really question it even beyond the report. Like the whole Snowden thing for example. But like events like this & 9/11 common sense often rules most of the theories around them out.

In a case like this so far with what’s being reported I will admit that you could run with some theories based on half truths. The guy didn’t fit the typical profile, he was wealthy, he had multiple properties, he had a lot of guns on him in the hotel & at his other properties, he had a pilot license & owned planes, etc. Obviously the Newtown shootings made more sense given that kid was F’d up mentally his whole life.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
An open mind can go a long way with discovering new things in life.

My mind has been open for 49 years, and unfortunately, so have my ears. I know the Grateful Dead perfectly well. I know exactly how intolerable their music is, for my tastes. I'm not saying they are objectively terrible (though I am tempted), just to me they are. It's not like I am just hating stuff without knowing anything about it. Not this time, anyway.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So I bring my wife's (older 2007) car in, and find out other than brake repairs (pads/roters costing me $425) there is like 6-7 things that need to be fixed that would cost us 2-3k easily. Im not shelling 2-3k into a 10 yr old car even if it has 72k miles (I have shelled out enough in the past). So we are going car shopping. Yay for not totally expecting to do it this weekend. :(

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So I bring my wife's (older 2007) car in, and find out other than brake repairs (pads/roters costing me $425) there is like 6-7 things that need to be fixed that would cost us 2-3k easily. Im not shelling 2-3k into a 10 yr old car even if it has 72k miles (I have shelled out enough in the past). So we are going car shopping. Yay for not totally expecting to do it this weekend. :(

I know that feel.

Happened to me a couple months back.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I must say, the new HFB layout is much easier on my computer.
The older version would lag the f*** out of my computer and freeze my browser after 5-10 minutes of use.
This version stays quick and smooth and I am able to browse for extended periods of time without having to kill the browser or have my computer freeze.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
My pal on KHL Vlad Admirals hasn't been paid in full for July... and it's October.
KHL is a god damn f***ing joke.
Team is going under.
Meanwhile, SKA is 19-0, with 1 OTW and 2 SOW.
#dirtymoney

Be thankful for the NHL everyday.

Reactions: Rebels57

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
Why would you ever do that to yourself?

I'd rather stick my junk in a beat trap than read any politics on the internet, let alone this site.

Sadly it's getting harder and harder to avoid politics being dragged into sports discussion. I used to really enjoy reading the Puck Daddy blog, but about a year ago they started posting more and more politically slanted articles and this year its gotten borderline unbearable. If you are a sports writer, I don't care about your political views (regardless of whether or not I agree with them). I watch sports to escape from that BS, I don't need it plastered in my face 24/7. ESPN is flat out unwatchable now. It's sad really, because the product as a whole suffers from this kind of stuff.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad