Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Interesting bit in this article, published after the dev. camp. Apparently, Ikonen is thinking about going back to play in Finland next season if he can't get an important role with Frolunda.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Interesting bit in this article, published after the dev. camp. Apparently, Ikonen is thinking about going back to play in Finland next season if he can't get an important role with Frolunda.

Hmm...thought a tweet somewhere confirmed a while ago he was 100% staying with Frolunda? Could be wrong.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Hmm...thought a tweet somewhere confirmed a while ago he was 100% staying with Frolunda? Could be wrong.

He needs playing time against men. No use in him being stuck on the third or fourth line on Frolunda. My guess is that he will be loaned to a team in Finland where he can get the playing time he needs against men to develop. Lekhonen played his post-draft year in the Liga in Finland, so this is not a terrible developmental path.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He needs playing time against men. No use in him being stuck on the third or fourth line on Frolunda. My guess is that he will be loaned to a team in Finland where he can get the playing time he needs against men to develop. Lekhonen played his post-draft year in the Liga in Finland, so this is not a terrible developmental path.

Far from it. It's fast paced, physical hockey, and doing well in Liiga is quite predictive of success at the NHL level.

I had wondered if he'd be considering this route. I didn't see any confirmation in that article that he was, only that he expressed doubts about whether Sweden would make sense for him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
NYR just signed 7th overall pick Lias Andersson. So it will be interesting to see if he was signed to make the club or will they loan him back to Frolunda.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
NYR just signed 7th overall pick Lias Andersson. So it will be interesting to see if he was signed to make the club or will they loan him back to Frolunda.

Seems to be pretty much common practice to sign high first rounders quickly but you never know......

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
You can listen to the interview here.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...-coach-joni-ikonen-draft-prospect-development

He's not so much saying he doesn't believe in Ikonen. He's more saying Lehkonen was exceptional in his work ethic. I'm reading into it here but, he could be saying it remains to be seen if anybody has that type of work ethic, including Ikonen.

He also said Ikonen will have to work on his strength and skating before he can hope to play with men. He says he has the smarts. He says he's not a bad skater, but to play with men he'll need to work on his strength and skating.

At Frolunda, they have strength and skating coaches. He said Frolunda's goal is to be the best development club for young player's to fulfill their dreams. The goal of their brand is to be a club that NHL teams trust to develop young players the best way possible.

I'm glad Ikonen is going to be in such a good developmental system. Hopefully people will tell him how much work it took Lehkonen to get to where he is and whether he's putting in the same amount of work as Lehkonen.

From what I saw in the development camp highlights. The guy is at least a fast skater in open ice. Ronnberg talked about increasing his explosiveness.

If Ikonen works his butt off, listens to Coach Ronnberg(Asst. Coach of Sweden's Mens National Team at WHC's/IIHF many times.) and their strength/skating coaches, with his hockey smarts he will be able to play against the Men in the SHL. That's the gist of the development programs everywhere, players with the talent both smarts & skill, if they work hard/full time into succeeding, chances are great if they don't get injuries that curtail their development. Lehkonen's character was his Forte always, no question of doubt in any ones minds about Arturri's drive to be a Hab/NHLer. Ikonen begins his quest to become the same type of athlete, sounds like Ronnberg will help him become the best he can be, that's their ultimate goal being a quality organization that develops players into NHLers.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
So Elite Prospects has the rumour that he is transferring from Frolunda to KalPa.

Not knowing the leagues that well, is this good or bad?

HabsFanJosh

Jun 28, 2014
So Elite Prospects has the rumour that he is transferring from Frolunda to KalPa.

I'd say it's bad. Level of competition isn't quite the same, and Frolunda is a powerhouse when it comes to development. Although Ikonen will probably get more ice time in Kalpa without having to really prove himself first.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I'd say it's bad. Level of competition isn't quite the same, and Frolunda is a powerhouse when it comes to development. Although Ikonen will probably get more ice time in Kalpa without having to really prove himself first.

Thanks. That was my outsider's opinion as well.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It depends on his role/playing time. If he's getting lots of opportunity that would be a great path for him to follow. Liiga is maybe not quite as good as the SHL, but it's fast, physical, highly competitive hockey. If you're doing well there, there's a good chance you'll do well in the NHL.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It depends on his role/playing time. If he's getting lots of opportunity that would be a great path for him to follow. Liiga is maybe not quite as good as the SHL, but it's fast, physical, highly competitive hockey. If you're doing well there, there's a good chance you'll do well in the NHL.

That's about it really. I've seen quite a few SHL games in the last few years and while the level is superior, most of the u20 kids are lucky to get 7-9 minutes a game .If he gets top line minutes with Frolunda then it's better for him to be there, if not then the Liiga is a better option. Don't forget Hamilton has his CHL rights so that's a possibility too.

The source ( which you can find here http://blogg.gp.se/rylanderjohan/2017/07/17/nytt-ikonen-lamnar-frolunda/ ) is quite categorical he's going to the Liiga by the way , because they won't give him ''the Vesalainen treatment'' i.e playing on the A squad right away. Take it with a grain of salt obviously.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Thanks for the info all. If he was angling for a transfer it could also explain Ronnberg's comments a bit more.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for the info all. If he was angling for a transfer it could also explain Ronnberg's comments a bit more.

Does he even need a transfer? It seems like he only has a junior contract with Frölunda according to EP. I don't know what the implications of that are, or even where to check them.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Does he even need a transfer? It seems like he only has a junior contract with Frölunda according to EP. I don't know what the implications of that are, or even where to check them.

The article I linked earlier seems to indicate Frolunda could keep him from transferring to the Liiga if they want to. I don't know the exact nature of his contract though.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The article I linked earlier seems to indicate Frolunda could keep him from transferring to the Liiga if they want to. I don't know the exact nature of his contract though.

The article seems to say that they said no to giving him a place on the A team ahead of the rest of the juniors. Don't know if they can prevent a dude from playing pro hockey somewhere else without giving him a pro contract.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's under contract with Frolunda J20 so I would think they would have to agree to let him go. If he's not going to play in Frolunda then perhaps they won't have an issue with him leaving. Wonder if this is the case, will the Habs put some pressure on him to play in the OHL?

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Ikonen to KalPa is great. The most important thing for a young player is 1) to get quality playing time and 2) to play against stronger competition every year. Frolunda is staked at the moment, and Ikonen will be unlikely to climb the totem pole there this year to get the playing time he needs. Him moving to KalPa will get him the quality minutes he needs and the competition to get better. The timing with Frolunda is bad this year. Maybe next year will be better.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
In that respect, you're absolutely right, Naslund.

However Frölunda has an amazing off-ice training system (particularly their skating clinic) and the head coach there, when discussing Ikonen's strengths and weaknesses, basically said that improving his strength and (although he's not a bad skater) his skating were key to him improving his chances of playing in the NHL with Montreal. Frölunda has all the high end facilities and programs in place for that to happen.

I don't know if KalPa can match those conditions. Anybody have info on that?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He's under contract with Frolunda J20 so I would think they would have to agree to let him go. If he's not going to play in Frolunda then perhaps they won't have an issue with him leaving. Wonder if this is the case, will the Habs put some pressure on him to play in the OHL?

I would like it alot personally, would like to see how dominant he can be in the CHL and it would give us the opportunity to watch him more closely..

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I would like it alot personally, would like to see how dominant he can be in the CHL and it would give us the opportunity to watch him more closely..

Would be better for him to start learning to play against men in Liiga than racking up point against teenagers, assuming he can hold his own in that league (I thnik he will).

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
In that respect, you're absolutely right, Naslund.

However Frölunda has an amazing off-ice training system (particularly their skating clinic) and the head coach there, when discussing Ikonen's strengths and weaknesses, basically said that improving his strength and (although he's not a bad skater) his skating were key to him improving his chances of playing in the NHL with Montreal. Frölunda has all the high end facilities and programs in place for that to happen.

I don't know if KalPa can match those conditions. Anybody have info on that?

Yes, all good points. However excess competition for playing time can be much more damaging to development than 2nd grade training facilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad