Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Lekhonen played his post-draft year in Finland. He started playing for Frolunda in the SHL only in his second year post-draft.

Indeed. However, he was still playing pro. The pro jump is a little up in the air for Ikonen at the moment.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Maybe someone who knows better than me can answer this. But with Ikonen not being a North American draft pick, could he play in the AHL from now? I would still prefer him in Frolunda because he has a better chance at development. However, can a draft pick out of Europe join the AHL at 18?

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Maybe someone who knows better than me can answer this. But with Ikonen not being a North American draft pick, could he play in the AHL from now? I would still prefer him in Frolunda because he has a better chance at development. However, can a draft pick out of Europe join the AHL at 18?
With Lefebvre still employed it is better for him and his future as NHLer to stay in europe for as long as possible.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval

He can play AHL right away if the clubs wants. They can't play in the AHL before 20 y/o if they had a contract in the juniors (WHL, OHL or LHJMQ). It was made this way so juniors team don't lose their good players before 20 y/o (Unless they make the pro team)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yes, I know. But that wasn't what I was asking, though.

That's a good question. Some Frölunda fans were talking about a ''right'' to have Grundström play in Sweden if he didn't make the Maple Leafs because he's ''not a first rounder.'' That's the first I've heard of any such rule. They seemed to phrase it in a way that would refer to the club having the right, and not the player having an option.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
That's a good question. Some Frölunda fans were talking about a ''right'' to have Grundström play in Sweden if he didn't make the Maple Leafs because he's ''not a first rounder.'' That's the first I've heard of any such rule. They seemed to phrase it in a way that would refer to the club having the right, and not the player having an option.

DLR played in the AHL as a 19 years old.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
After listening to Roger Ronnberg's interview that All About the Habs tweeted, I found him pretty candid about Ikonen.

He said he really needs to dedicate more to the gym and bulking up and also said his skating needs work. When asked to compare him to Lehkonen, he raved about AK's "character" and how dedicated he was to the gym and to working hard to get better.

I may be reading more into it than Ronnberg said, but I really got the impression he wasn't as high on Ikonen as we are yet and that he certainly hasn't seen the Lehkonen comparison yet.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Ikonen was a late 2nd round pick, he does not get there unless there is a concern or two.

Quite frankly that he needs to hit the gym and get bigger and stronger fall, for me, at the near bottom of the things to be concerned about list. Not that they are not important, because they are and if not worked on we get a guy who looks like Louis Leblanc , who had the physique of an average grade 12 when he was trying to break into the NHL.

What is more important to me is this guy has a high skill set in pretty much everything and he showed it at development camp. Also a 2 way player which bodes well , especially with CJ here for a while.

Finns are a good target for us because they really do play a more North American type game , two way, which appears to be a thing for the Habs.

This was a terrific pick, just need more of them. Again, I would have taken Lipanov and Elvenes was my darkhorse pick. But have to say I like the reports about the D we took, I have would have added another high skill forward, center to boot.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Ikonen was a late 2nd round pick, he does not get there unless there is a concern or two.

Quite frankly that he needs to hit the gym and get bigger and stronger fall, for me, at the near bottom of the things to be concerned about list. Not that they are not important, because they are and if not worked on we get a guy who looks like Louis Leblanc , who had the physique of an average grade 12 when he was trying to break into the NHL.

What is more important to me is this guy has a high skill set in pretty much everything and he showed it at development camp. Also a 2 way player which bodes well , especially with CJ here for a while.

Finns are a good target for us because they really do play a more North American type game , two way, which appears to be a thing for the Habs.

This was a terrific pick, just need more of them. Again, I would have taken Lipanov and Elvenes was my darkhorse pick. But have to say I like the reports about the D we took, I have would have added another high skill forward, center to boot.

99.99% of those prospects need to get stronger that was the most pathetic display at the combine Ive ever seen. The top guy with Pull-ups was like 13 and at 70% of bodyweight bench press was 17 max reps.

Mr Fox

Hungry since '93
Aug 21, 2013
I hope I am not repeating something that was said but I was just listening to Ikonen's comments on the camp (last video on Habs website) and when they asked him if he was going back to play for Frolunda next year, he said he had a lot to think about this summer. While it may look like a classic answer, ALL the other interviews during the week he was adamant that he was going back to Sweden and that he had a contract with Frolunda and all.

Now I may (and probably am) be reading too much into his answers as he may well be just tired of repeating himself as being in Montreal for the first time with media is a lot, but I wonder if the Habs management talked to him about the possibility of playing in the AHL if the Rookie camp goes as well as the development camp did. Again, would not be that excited about that as I like prospects developing in the SHL, they come in NA less predictable with a different style of play (plus Lefebvre), and the fact that our Top 6 for the Rockets seems pretty much settle but still I wonder.

What do you guys think ?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I hope I am not repeating something that was said but I was just listening to Ikonen's comments on the camp (last video on Habs website) and when they asked him if he was going back to play for Frolunda next year, he said he had a lot to think about this summer. While it may look like a classic answer, ALL the other interviews during the week he was adamant that he was going back to Sweden and that he had a contract with Frolunda and all.

Now I may (and probably am) be reading too much into his answers as he may well be just tired of repeating himself as being in Montreal for the first time with media is a lot, but I wonder if the Habs management talked to him about the possibility of playing in the AHL if the Rookie camp goes as well as the development camp did. Again, would not be that excited about that as I like prospects developing in the SHL, they come in NA less predictable with a different style of play (plus Lefebvre), and the fact that our Top 6 for the Rockets seems pretty much settle but still I wonder.

What do you guys think ?

Ikonen has three options:

- Stay in Sweden and play for Frolunda in the SHL.
- Come to North America and play for the Laval Rocket and Lefebvre (ugh).
- Come to North America and play for the Hamilton Bulldogs in the OHL (with Bitten) as he was drafted by them in the import draft.

I believe his best option is staying with Frolunda. They are a development machine.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

- Come to North America and play for the Hamilton Bulldogs in the OHL (with Bitten) as he was drafted by them in the import draft.

I believe his best option is staying with Frolunda. They are a development machine.

If he makes the team though, could be back in the J20 or loaned to the 2nd league.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If he makes the team though, could be back in the J20 or loaned to the 2nd league.

You're right. I forgot that him making the Frolunda senior team isn't a guarantee for him.

Do you think his best option is the OHL (to familiarize himself with the North American game while simultaneously staying away from Lefebvre)?

It is such a shame that we want Habs prospects to stay away from the AHL if they can because of the coach. Had it been a Ducharme or a Bouchard (as I had prayed for), we'd all be singing a different tune. We'd be begging for this kid to come to Laval.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Agreed. Frolunda is a fantastic organization and I rather he play there than for Sly. The OHL would b OK too but I think staying in his home country would allow him to focus more on hockey.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You're right. I forgot that him making the Frolunda senior team isn't a guarantee for him.

Do you think his best option is the OHL (to familiarize himself with the North American game while simultaneously staying away from Lefebvre)?

It is such a shame that we want Habs prospects to stay away from the AHL if they can because of the coach. Had it been a Ducharme or a Bouchard (as I had prayed for), we'd all be singing a different tune. We'd be begging for this kid to come to Laval.

It's hard to say if he doesn't make Frolunda's roster. If he's back in the J20, then it's what's better for him, playing in the J20 or the OHL. I would say the OHL of course but it's more complicated since then it becomes year two, would he make Frolunda's roster then and then what kind of ice time would he get vs the OHL.

I would want him to stay in Sweden but if he comes over to the OHL, I will gladly watch him as much as I can.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Agreed. Frolunda is a fantastic organization and I rather he play there than for Sly. The OHL would b OK too but I think staying in his home country would allow him to focus more on hockey.

Sweden is not his home country, but it is closer to home than Laval/Hamilton.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
This is pathetic.

Fans on this board are quite rightly terrified about our prospects coming under the tutelage of the A&W coaching staff. They have MBs full confidence. Everything is fine.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Sweden is not his home country, but it is closer to home than Laval/Hamilton.

Yeah my bad. I knew he was Finnish but I've had a few brews and not thinking straight lol. Like you said though, hes close to home and that makes things easier. Having friends amd family to help you out while being in a familiar location is always nice. Coming to NA from Europe and vice versa can be overwhelming at first, especially for a young guy like him

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
I hope he doesn't become another Collberg. Not saying he will, but from now on it's on him to develop like a pro and not think he can get to the NHL with skill alone.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I hope he doesn't become another Collberg. Not saying he will, but from now on it's on him to develop like a pro and not think he can get to the NHL with skill alone.

Like I said before, generally I find Finns play more of a NA style 2 way game and although Swedes are good at 2 way games the Finns are in my view generally grittier players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad