Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He showed good speed/skating, is a little undersized though. It was my first time seeing him in a full game and not camp highlights or youtube vids. Was impressed although the Czech's weren't that impressive, if not for some saveable goals by the Finnish goalie. (although I was working so didn't get to see everything). Interesting that as an 18 year old he was wearing an A.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He showed good speed/skating, is a little undersized though. It was my first time seeing him in a full game and not camp highlights or youtube vids. Was impressed although the Czech's weren't that impressive, if not for some saveable goals by the Finnish goalie. (although I was working so didn't get to see everything). Interesting that as an 18 year old he was wearing an A.

Apparently wearing a letter internationally doesn't mean anything... or maybe that logic only applies to Shea Weber (apparently)...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
he does look small out there.

I always knew he was small, but that video clip makes him look like a bantam player. Not going to expect him to suddenly grow another couple inches and gain 30lbs, but he really needs to fill out and get stronger. Still at least 3 years away, so I won't bag on this fact much.

He seems to have good vision and great speed once he gets going. Would like to see a better first couple steps from him, but again, he's at least a few years away from the NHL.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I always knew he was small, but that video clip makes him look like a bantam player. Not going to expect him to suddenly grow another couple inches and gain 30lbs, but he really needs to fill out and get stronger. Still at least 3 years away, so I won't bag on this fact much.

He seems to have good vision and great speed once he gets going. Would like to see a better first couple steps from him, but again, he's at least a few years away from the NHL.

Yeah, I think it was his size that made him fall in the draft. It is a bit concerning as, although there are a lot of effective small players these days, it's still harder to make. And, we already have a lot of small players. But as long as he's talented and can put up points, he will be sorely needed for our anemic offense and there should be a spot for him. We gave up on Ghetto because of his size too early.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Yesterday i watched the game and ikonen remind me a lot mikael granlund or a nicklas bactrom smaller. He has a very good hockey sense and in powerplay at the blue line can make very good pass on tape. Im very impressed by his game...

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Yeah, I think it was his size that made him fall in the draft. It is a bit concerning as, although there are a lot of effective small players these days, it's still harder to make. And, we already have a lot of small players. But as long as he's talented and can put up points, he will be sorely needed for our anemic offense and there should be a spot for him. We gave up on Ghetto because of his size too early.

Fortunately, Bergevin didn't feel that way about Paul Byron.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

No we gave up ghetto because he was always overrated, he was suppose to have speed but was always behind the play, had poor puck control and was a south to north player wich we have a ton.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
No we gave up ghetto because he was always overrated, he was suppose to have speed but was always behind the play, had poor puck control and was a south to north player wich we have a ton.

Time will tell what he becomes. The thing is, the fact is he hasn't finished developing. No way a team as bad as our offensively should have given up on Ghetto for a player like Martinsen. Martinsen, Ott, and King were not helpful. That's why Ott and King aren't back. And Martinsen who was signed for the minimum, could have been obtained on the open market. I would have rather had DSP, who signed in Washington for the same contract Martinsen got.

But we'll see what becomes of Ghetto. Was his end of season in Colorado a fluke?
We'll see.

Jul 6, 2016
Time will tell what he becomes. The thing is, the fact is he hasn't finished developing. No way a team as bad as our offensively should have given up on Ghetto for a player like Martinsen. Martinsen, Ott, and King were not helpful. That's why Ott and King aren't back. And Martinsen who was signed for the minimum, could have been obtained on the open market. I would have rather had DSP, who signed in Washington for the same contract Martinsen got.

But we'll see what becomes of Ghetto. Was his end of season in Colorado a fluke?
We'll see.

Andrighetto, like DSP the year before, just exploded offensively on a bottom feeder team with no Playoffs aspirations and pressure. Playing with McKinnon helped Ghetto a lot.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Andrighetto, like DSP the year before, just exploded offensively on a bottom feeder team with no Playoffs aspirations and pressure. Playing with McKinnon helped Ghetto a lot.

John Leclair exploded playing with Eric Lindros. He was still a pretty good player. Anyways the point IS NOT to compare Ghetto to Leclair. The point is, just because DSP did well in a short time and then went back to his real talent level, doesn't mean Ghetto is comparable or will. Maybe he will. But we have to see how he does before we pass judgement.

I NEVER liked DSP, always thought he had no talent. I always maintained Ghetto has some skill, and his speed and work ethic are effective on the forecheck. But he always was a step behind or made the extra pass or took the wrong shot when he got free. These may be symptoms of a poor player. But they also just be symptoms of a talented player who's still getting used to the speed of the game at the NHL level. Like I said, time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad