Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
In that respect, you're absolutely right, Naslund.

However Frölunda has an amazing off-ice training system (particularly their skating clinic) and the head coach there, when discussing Ikonen's strengths and weaknesses, basically said that improving his strength and (although he's not a bad skater) his skating were key to him improving his chances of playing in the NHL with Montreal. Frölunda has all the high end facilities and programs in place for that to happen.

I don't know if KalPa can match those conditions. Anybody have info on that?
No need to fear. KalPa's new head coach is one and only Sami Kapanen. Yeah, the guy who was the fastest skater in NHL at some point in his career. ;)

Kapanen is known to be a guy who focuses a lot on developing young players and doesn't fear giving them fair chances to succeed. KalPa is also one of the strongest if not the strongest team when it comes to playing fast and offensive focused hockey, something that isn't guaranteed in Liiga nowadays (teams usually focus a bit too much on the tactical side of the game instead of letting players play the game). I think it's also worth noting that KalPa has the biggest rink in Liiga. I'm sure stuff like this is nothing but good if you want to focus on improving player's skating.

But most importantly, he is almost guaranteed to get double the ice-time he would have gotten in Frölunda which I think is the biggest reason why this transfer is good for Ikonen.

Personally as a Finn who has been in love with Ikonen ever since the U18s, I have nothing but good vibes from this whole thing.

By the way, during the U18s I made small videos from the best moments of the first 3 games by Finland. I felt like Ikonen was easily Finland's best forward in those games until he broke his thumb later in the tournament against Canada and it seemed to effect him quite a bit. So if you wanna see some of his nice plays from those games, check these videos:

Finland vs Switzerland (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILKfFL0msQ) (0:00, 0:31, 1:33, 3:58, 4:50, 5:20, 6:44, 7:03)
Finland vs Latvia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=becp2Jj7kHg) (1:52, 2:51, 3:00, 4:40, 6:32)
Finland vs Canada (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nNVDErkk_A) (0:51)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
So there really was some fire behind all that smoke. Kalpa is one of the best organizations in the Liiga so he's still going to be surrounded by competent people there. Playing time is a premium at that stage in his development.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Would be better for him to start learning to play against men in Liiga than racking up point against teenagers, assuming he can hold his own in that league (I thnik he will).

I agree with this. This reduces the risk of concussions. He'll get more ice time, so hopefully they also have a strong off ice development program. He needs to bulk up and work on his skating, as all young players do, according to Frolunda coach Ronnberg.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What you need for next summer is to get Ikonen join the elite offseason club in Turku.

Laine/Ristolainen/Rantanen all train there together under legendary Rautala. Isles prospect Koivula joined them this summer.

Get Ikonen to join their group and see him improve by a mile.

Locks

May 28, 2005
No need to fear. KalPa's new head coach is one and only Sami Kapanen. Yeah, the guy who was the fastest skater in NHL at some point in his career. ;)

(0:51)

Thank you for your Finnish/Ikonen insight, much appreciated. The Ikonen situation seems indeed more favorable with KalPa with the opportunity to play a bigger role with more ice time. Please keep your insights coming, it would be appreciated.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Was worried about his playing time with Frolunda, so glad he should get good ice time with KalPa, just that SHL games are easy to get, haven't followed SM-liiga in a long time likely since the days of Oskari Korpikari with Karpat as I don't recall seeing Lehkonen play for KalPa.

Kapanen is known to be a guy who focuses a lot on developing young players and doesn't fear giving them fair chances to succeed. KalPa is also one of the strongest if not the strongest team when it comes to playing fast and offensive focused hockey, something that isn't guaranteed in Liiga nowadays (teams usually focus a bit too much on the tactical side of the game instead of letting players play the game). I think it's also worth noting that KalPa has the biggest rink in Liiga. I'm sure stuff like this is nothing but good if you want to focus on improving player's skating.

But most importantly, he is almost guaranteed to get double the ice-time he would have gotten in Frölunda which I think is the biggest reason why this transfer is good for Ikonen.

Personally as a Finn who has been in love with Ikonen ever since the U18s, I have nothing but good vibes from this whole thing.

By the way, during the U18s I made small videos from the best moments of the first 3 games by Finland. I felt like Ikonen was easily Finland's best forward in those games until he broke his thumb later in the tournament against Canada and it seemed to effect him quite a bit. So if you wanna see some of his nice plays from those games, check these videos:

Finland vs Switzerland (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILKfFL0msQ) (0:00, 0:31, 1:33, 3:58, 4:50, 5:20, 6:44, 7:03)
Finland vs Latvia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=becp2Jj7kHg) (1:52, 2:51, 3:00, 4:40, 6:32)
Finland vs Canada (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nNVDErkk_A) (0:51)

thanks for the clips.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland

Otherwise I agree and I think that Kalpa is a very good destination for him but this is Kotkaniemi. Ikonen is a right-handed shot.

And Ikonen is in my papers the 1C. I also want to say that in my opinion Ikonen would have been a terrific pick at 25th overall. Became a big fan since I saw him for the first time in the U18 WHC

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Interesting to see what kinda role he has. KalPa only has 5 centers under contract, 3 of them were picked on the 2nd round of this past draft with Luostarinen, Texier and Ikonen.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Otherwise I agree and I think that Kalpa is a very good destination for him but this is Kotkaniemi. Ikonen is a right-handed shot.

And Ikonen is in my papers the 1C. I also want to say that in my opinion Ikonen would have been a terrific pick at 25th overall. Became a big fan since I saw him for the first time in the U18 WHC
Haha, you are right. Now I feel ashamed for not realizing that myself. :D

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Lehkonen went from Kalpa to Frolunda and now Ikonen does it the other way around. Hopefully he'll turn out just as good.

Lekhonen played his post-draft season in KalPa as well. So in reality, this event is more Lekhonen-like than you make it look. Its all about balancing playing time and competition. At this time, KalPa seems like a better fit than Frolunda.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Cant be really too upset, you have to like both the swedish and finnish leagues for development at this point, playing vs men is playing vs men, it toughened up Lehkonen lets hope it can do the same for Ikonen

If this means more playing time by going back to finland then so be it right? we should want that. Hope he makes the world junior team, well rather, i hope he shows flashes of greatness when he makes it lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad