Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Please stay in SHL until you are 20/21 and request to be sent back to SHL if you can't make team out of camp.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I was wondering in the CHL thread if he was going to get drafted. It's good to at least have the option if he doesn't get enough playing time in Europe. I fully expect him to spend the year with Frolunda's main team though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
In most cases there are very few differences between first and second liners as most just play with the players that they have the best chemistry with.

The only exception are the elite first liners who would be first liners on any team........it would be a stretch to label him as having a realistic chance to be one of these players.

I think for many players what makes them a 2nd liner v. a 1st liner is a lack of consistent effort.Look at a guy like AK46, he had the speed, skill set, size etc, and when he was engaged he could be on the 1st line easy. But that effort was not always there, and while he could still contribute, it was not the same.

You are right with the elite guys, they generate offense.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I wonder what they're going to do with him if he doesn't crack the big team's roster. Send him to SuperElit? Loan him to an Allsvenskan club?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wonder what they're going to do with him if he doesn't crack the big team's roster. Send him to SuperElit? Loan him to an Allsvenskan club?

Both are possibilities, I don't see him going back to the U20 league though, that would be kinda pointless. It would have to be either an Allvenskan team or Hamilton . Frolunda lost 4 vets from last year's starting lineup so I'd say Ikonen's chances are quite good .

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Ikonen said just a few days ago that he has no plans on leaving Europe for this upcoming season. I suppose it's worth a shot for Hamilton because anything can happen with his current club. But I'd say chances are extremely slim he plays in the O.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Both are possibilities, I don't see him going back to the U20 league though, that would be kinda pointless. It would have to be either an Allvenskan team or Hamilton . Frolunda lost 4 vets from last year's starting lineup so I'd say Ikonen's chances are quite good .

The Frölunda fans of the board were saying that their lineup is pretty stacked, but could thin out if a couple prospects (Andersson, Grundström) crack their NHL rosters, and with injuries, naturally.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Ikonen said just a few days ago that he has no plans on leaving Europe for this upcoming season. I suppose it's worth a shot for Hamilton because anything can happen with his current club. But I'd say chances are extremely slim he plays in the O.

That's my feeling as well. Sometimes these kids get selected without even being contacted by the club. I have no idea if Joni has been contacted by Hamilton.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think that's the first time that I'm happy that one of our guys isn't reporting....:laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In most cases there are very few differences between first and second liners as most just play with the players that they have the best chemistry with.

The only exception are the elite first liners who would be first liners on any team........it would be a stretch to label him as having a realistic chance to be one of these players.

I don't know how to exactly split the difference between 2nd/1st line but I consider his ceiling today as someone who's a 2nd liner on a contender, and you're comfortable with him on that 2nd line, but if weak at F you can push him to the 1st line.

But he just got drafted and on potential side has some great tools to build on.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I would bring Ikonen to the AHL, even with SLY on command, but not so sure about Hamilton OHL…

The thing is that I dont trust Frolunda since Sebastian Collbust. I think Ikonen is a gem and if they dont already and clearly gives him a place with a lot of icetime, so dont waste out time again.

Ikonen is my number 1 prospect of this draft and could be the solution for our need. We have to take this case seriously and not let the european stack teams have an option on our future.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I would bring Ikonen to the AHL, even with SLY on command, but not so sure about Hamilton OHL…

The thing is that I dont trust Frolunda since Sebastian Collbust. I think Ikonen is a gem and if they dont already and clearly gives him a place with a lot of icetime, so dont waste out time again.

Ikonen is my number 1 prospect of this draft and could be the solution for our need. We have to take this case seriously and not let the european stack teams have an option on our future.

They seemed to do a good job with Lehkonen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->