Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If he makes the team in the fall he'll be teammates with Max Friberg. I know Frolunda lost a few players to transfer but with Lasch coming back (was one of their top players when Lehkonen was there) plus 7th overall pick Lias Andersson I assume makes Frolunda after ripping up the J-20s with HV71's team.

This is what one of the Frölunda supporters had to say about his chances

It depends a bit on if Lias Andersson and Carl Grundström makes the NHL after their training camps or if they come back to us, since it would open up two roster spots. Joni is part of a group of younger players (Oliwer Fjellström, Jacob Peterson and Kalle Miketinac are others in that group) that probably will be practicing with the mens team and be given a chance to grab a spot.

I don't think that he'll have a permanent role but I'm sure that he will get ice time during the season.

Not sure how Grundström's NA future affects Ikonen though given that they play different wings (when Ikonen plays wing).

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Everytime I have seen him he has been confident, exciting and selfish. I think the last quality might be his undoing.

I totally get where you are coming from, and at the end of the day you may be right, but from my standpoint right now I find our forwards ''too'' generous, I really wouldn't mind a player that is trigger happy in the mix down the road.

as another poster said so perfectly : ''its probably easier to learn not to dangle too much than to learn how to dangle.''

in any case, we will see. :yo:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I would love him to be a center for us, and he might be developed as one in the Frolunda system. Realistically due to his size (5ft11, 176lbs), I think his speed, shooting abilities and feistiness in the corners will make him a great winger for us. As I said in other posts, it's hard for me not to be excited about a Lekhonen-Poehling-Ikonen line. A big center that likes to pass and two Finns (a RH and a LH) that like to shoot (and are good at it).

Ok thx.. But just to make it clear, when you saw him play, was he playing center or RW? If he was playing center, how was his game away from the puck? (2-way game) How was his vision and playmaking skills?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Ok thx.. But just to make it clear, when you saw him play, was he playing center or RW? If he was playing center, how was his game away from the puck? (2-way game) How was his vision and playmaking skills?

He was playing center at the U18 until he broke his thumb and then he moved to right wing for the Czech game to avoid taking faceoffs.

According to the Frölunda supporters he was playing center in junior.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Id say 2 more years playing in SHL than either AHL or NHL.

They brought Lekhonen over after dominating the SHL playoffs, which was three seasons post-draft (one in Liga and two in SHL). I think they will follow the same model for Ikonen, assuming Frolunda can provide sufficient playing time and reasonable competition for a spot on the team.

Geecko

Aug 21, 2012
What's his absolute ceiling with the big league? 2nd liner or 1st liner? Center or winger?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Strikes me as a nice bonus that he can also play center. It would be wild if he turns out to be a pre-injury Koivu, which would solve the 1C problem in the long term.

Pre injury Koivu was elite, no chance Ikonen gets there. Post injury Koivu would be incredible if he comes close to that.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'd start today with 2nd liner, and let him raise that with his play.

In most cases there are very few differences between first and second liners as most just play with the players that they have the best chemistry with.

The only exception are the elite first liners who would be first liners on any team........it would be a stretch to label him as having a realistic chance to be one of these players.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Glad montreal is starting to have interesting Finns again after Koivu.

finland went 9 years without an impact nhler between m koivu and m granlund. its not like they were intentionally ignoring them, finland was just producing crap for almost a decade

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
knowing very little about Ikonen, I'd say Ikonen. His game just seems more translatable. Reway's got an underrated shot and a silly back hand but Ikonen's shot seems Lehkonen like. Maybe even better. Ikonen could be the better skater (though I think Reway made some strides in that department) and doesn't seem to have effort issues.

Sheer skill though, I just haven't seen enough of these Ikonen dangles. If Reway was faster and worked harder then it could be a toss up. Just my opinion which means literally nothing. Really hope like WTK suggested that Reway could possibly have had a bit of a wake up call with this illness and maybe it drives him more. A more motivated Reway could be a great asset. Excited to see what both do this coming year.

All we knew about Reway is almost worthless now. We don't know if he really fully recovered from his illness and how much one year out of hockey will have slowed down his development. Remember Bozon.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
All we knew about Reway is almost worthless now. We don't know if he really fully recovered from his illness and how much one year out of hockey will have slowed down his development. Remember Bozon.

Reway has a much better pedigree than Bozon. Reway was captain of his world junior team and shone on the world stage against the elite of his age group. He then went on to be a high scorer in a pro league, while being one of the youngest. Can't compare the two.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
He's 5'11" nothing wrong with that height for a center. As he adds muscle he'll gain weight and may still grow as well.

Same height and 10 pounds lighter than Crosby when he was drafted. So size is not an issue. Will he be able, like Crosby, to add 15 more pounds?

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Reway has a much better pedigree than Bozon. Reway was captain of his world junior team and shone on the world stage against the elite of his age group. He then went on to be a high scorer in a pro league, while being one of the youngest. Can't compare the two.

Come on! I was not comparing talent, but pointing out how difficult it can be to fully recover from a serious illness. I tought it was clear.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Come on! I was not comparing talent, but pointing out how difficult it can be to fully recover from a serious illness. I tought it was clear.

for sure but Bozon wasn't ruined from his illness though. He just didn't quite have the goods. Skating and lack of strength were big draw backs. He had a pretty underwhelming 2nd season after we drafted him even before the illness.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Ok good, we're on the same page on that one. The first issue with Reway is: can he recover? But if he can, he's a really good prospect. He has a chance to be good point producing top six forward. I didn't consider Bozon to be a great prospect. He never did anything beyond Junior. Reway has done a lot. 21 points in 19 games in the swiss A league is impressive for a youngster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad