Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Toligwen

Jan 5, 2019
Never seen that actually.

The recent highlights since his return to play seem to point out the opposite though, praising his quickness (didn't see something about speed) and ability to break from opponent in control of the puck

Reactions: larrypacman8167

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
He had a small growth spurt, so that might've helped. But from videos I've seen, he had some technical issues with his skating. He also had a below-average first 2-3 steps. His top speed is good, it's just getting there isn't. Well, it wasn't, I don't know about now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just how poor are his speed and skating? Those arent good weaknesses to have.

haven't seen him since last year and don't know when I'll get to see him again since liiga games this year are now very hard to get to see. Last year for an undersized player his skating and speed were average, some were really down on his skating and speed. He needs a lot of work physically, as of last year when I got to see him several times.

Jul 6, 2016
haven't seen him since last year and don't know when I'll get to see him again since liiga games this year are now very hard to get to see. Last year for an undersized player his skating and speed were average, some were really down on his skating and speed. He needs a lot of work physically, as of last year when I got to see him several times.

I don't see any future for this player at NHL level.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Sorry but Kotkaniemi is NOT worth a third overall pick. He is a #10, at best. If habs really, badly want him, they can trade Patches for him to NY Rangers, or Edmonton, or NYI.

Whoever is available between Zhechnikov or Zadina at #3. No one else.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I expected more from him last year and now this year is a write off for me so we'll see how next year goes. If he can show progress they have another year after that before they have to sign him. The skill is there, but with Ylonen doing well at a younger age, Suzuki I think he ends up on the wing, it won't be easy for him to crack the Habs down the road although it's impossible to guess what roster moves will be made over several years.

Brownies

From what I’ve seen (not much but bear with me), it’s hard to tell if a guy like Ikonen will make it because, well, it’s pretty much on him. He has a lot of work to do and I’m surely not able to tell if he’ll work hard enough from my coach (I’m actually sitting in the stairs). Let’s just say it’s far from a sure thing (big IMO). He doesn’t skate and move like an NHLer, so far, but that can change.

Of the guys we just drafted, after looking at the vids I thought that only Kotka and Romanov (IMO again) were sure fire NHLer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You would of likely said the same thing towards Lehkonen back when. We don't know and getting a injury missing half the season in his draft + 2 years of development set him back. Last season was nothing to brag about but he could very well be a middle 6 winger. We have to wait.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
no clue how he's game went but he finished

1 assist, 50% in the circle, -2 and 15mins of play

he's now 3-1 for 4 pts in 6 game!
Look like he slowed down a bit, 5 points in 9 games, but still producing decently for a guy that missed what 8 months.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Look like he slowed down a bit, 5 points in 9 games, but still producing decently for a guy that missed what 8 months.

I'm not surprised since some players when being out long term do well at first with the adrenaline boost but when that wears off they the grind gets to them. Since he had a big spike in TOI playing 22:22, he's mostly been around 15ish mins although the last 2 games he's been at 18:44 and 17:10. He's average is 17:00 per game and his ppg so far is double last years despite just 2 pts in the last 5 games.

For me this year is a write off, hopefully he can stay healthy and take a big step forward next year and the following.

Visul

Dec 22, 2015
Two goals in two periods today, one period still to go. His second goal was beautiful one-timer on short side top corner.

All of his five goals are against the same opponent Jukurit which is one of the weaker teams in Liiga.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Two goals in two periods today, one period still to go. His second goal was beautiful one-timer on short side top corner.

All of his five goals are against the same opponent Jukurit which is one of the weaker teams in Liiga.
yep! and 53% in the faceoff circles!

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
His 5 goals this season have come against the same team, Mikkelin Jukurit.

Hopefully, he can show that he can spread his production among teams of different calibers.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
8 pts in 11 games not bad for a potential bust. :DD

From what I've seen his skating looks fine, good change of direction and use of edges too. Has a terrific one timer.

He's getting minutes and is off to a good start. Maybe this year isn't a complete loss afterall.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Nice to see another youngster putting up good numbers. I have never seen him play but have read his speed is a concern. We’ll see

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Nice to see another youngster putting up good numbers. I have never seen him play but have read his speed is a concern. We’ll see

Not necessarily a 'concern' as it isn't -bad-, but it isn't where it needs to be a for a player of his stature. Hopefully it comes with strength in the legs.

Reactions: Tyson

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Not necessarily a 'concern' as it isn't -bad-, but it isn't where it needs to be a for a player of his stature. Hopefully it comes with strength in the legs.

I feel like his skating looks better which would be hugely encouraging for me especially after coming off the injury he had. If he has the will to get faster he could be something. His shot is pretty evil.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad