Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Most people wrote Ikonen off. This guy is the least talked about Habs prospects and I definitely see some potential in this kid.
Well I dont think you can see potential in Ikonen because hes been out of the line up most of the time due to injury & that's the reason he is the least talk prospect here. Its hard to have any kind of expectation,evaluation or something to talk about the prospect if we barely have the chance to see games or atleast footage of him for almost a year now. Hopefully he's back for good and wont hurt himself anymore so we can see where he is and what kind of player he could aspire to be in the Nhl.
The think that I really liked about him is not the fact that hes 1 goal short of his last year total and that in one game. What I really liked is that even having a lower body injury, he didnt stay home depressed. He used that time to hit the gym alot and add muslce and strenght to his lower body and his upper body. Start having a good game shape.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think most people wrote him off but it's hard to talk about him when he hasn't played hockey since April. Had he been able to get back in time for the WJC's, there would have been a lot of talk about him. Now that he's back, we'll see how it goes, sadly liiga made a change in their streaming service so it's become almost impossible to watch games outside of Finland. So we'll just have to hope some Finnish fans can let us know how he looks for the rest of the season.

Had he not been injured his team was at the Champions Hockey league tournament this year which means many of us would have been able to at least watch him for a few games. I liked him last year, clearly Timmins does or he wouldn't have used a 2nd rounder on him. He looks like one of those longer term prospects as he needs a lot of work on the physical tools of strength, speed, skating (talking about pre injury since I haven't seen him since last season)

Reactions: ottawa

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Joni Ikonen speaks about his recovery and return to ice hockey

“They [Montreal] had a good contact with me during the whole process, and still are,” Ikonen said. Ikonen says he has felt the support from Montreal all though the recovery. “It’s good when they are interested in your development and that builds confidence [for me] too.”
We hear these things often about the habs staff keeping in touch with prospects. It's top of mind for most of our prospects that they mention it in interviews.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Could he be in the AHL next year?

turns out I was mistaken, I know I read that he was going to re-sign with Kalpa but so far he's not listed as having done so, so his contract expires at the end of this season. But it could be that he re-signed and it's just not been reported yet at least on eliteprospects or that he's waiting to see what the Habs want to do. Since Finland is part of the PTA with the IIHF and NHL, he would likely be able to come over either way, just has to be by a certain deadline that I'd have to look up. But with him missing so much time this year, I really hope they leave him in Liiga for another year, maybe bring him and Ylonen over for '20-'21.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
turns out I was mistaken, I know I read that he was going to re-sign with Kalpa but so far he's not listed as having done so, so his contract expires at the end of this season. But it could be that he re-signed and it's just not been reported yet at least on eliteprospects or that he's waiting to see what the Habs want to do. Since Finland is part of the PTA with the IIHF and NHL, he would likely be able to come over either way, just has to be by a certain deadline that I'd have to look up. But with him missing so much time this year, I really hope they leave him in Liiga for another year, maybe bring him and Ylonen over for '20-'21.
In the interview with Patrik Bexell, Bexell mentioned he recently re-signed with KalPa and Ikonen acknowledge it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ikonen with 3 goals in 5 games so far. Ikonen, Ylonen, Suzuki as our best wingers in the prospect pool.. all right handed shots. Ikonen is playing wing I'm assuming?

Imagine... we could of had 9 prospects play the World Juniors with Kotkaniemi and Ikonen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Very curious to see how the Habs manage this with Ylonen and Ikonen. I think they take the Lehkonen route and bring them over when they are possibly NHL ready or back to Europe. We already potentially have Poehling, Suzuki, and Brook added to the AHL roster next year with Evans and Vejdemo playing 2nd year. Adding two more rookies might not be smart.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Ikonen with 3 goals in 5 games so far. Ikonen, Ylonen, Suzuki as our best wingers in the prospect pool.. all right handed shots. Ikonen is playing wing for the Pelicans I'm assuming?

Imagine... we could of had 9 prospects play the World Juniors with Kotkaniemi and Ikonen.

He is playing center for Kalpa, was 11/18 in the circle yesterday.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Ikonen with 3 goals in 5 games so far. Ikonen, Ylonen, Suzuki as our best wingers in the prospect pool.. all right handed shots. Ikonen is playing wing for the Pelicans I'm assuming?

Ikonen plays for KalPa. Ylönen plays for the Pelicans. I haven't watched KalPa this year but he did play center and wing last year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Very curious to see how the Habs manage this with Ylonen and Ikonen. I think they take the Lehkonen route and bring them over when they are possibly NHL ready or back to Europe. We already potentially have Poehling, Suzuki, and Brook added to the AHL roster next year with Evans and Vejdemo playing 2nd year. Adding two more rookies might not be smart.

I would be shocked if they brought either one over next year, leave them in liiga and see how next season goes.

Nice! He is a prospect to watch no doubt!

he's a solid prospect for sure although I don't think he'll be a center if he were to make the NHL unless he improves his physical tools by a good bit.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Wasn't he only taking the face offs and Texier being his center during regular play ?

I couldn't tell you, i haven't watch the games; they are pretty hard to find. But him having success in the circle against adults is a good sign. I could see how the coach would like to keep Texier down the middle as he is having a good season and Ikonen is just coming back. If this is in fact the case, Ikonen still played center as you can only switch position after a certain point, not right after the puck was dropped. For example, in the defensive zone, the wingers will take the defensemen and the centerman the 3rd guy up. He was dominant at the U18 in between Ylonen and Vesalainen, showed great IQ and skill.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I don't think most people wrote him off but it's hard to talk about him when he hasn't played hockey since April. Had he been able to get back in time for the WJC's, there would have been a lot of talk about him. Now that he's back, we'll see how it goes, sadly liiga made a change in their streaming service so it's become almost impossible to watch games outside of Finland. So we'll just have to hope some Finnish fans can let us know how he looks for the rest of the season.

Had he not been injured his team was at the Champions Hockey league tournament this year which means many of us would have been able to at least watch him for a few games. I liked him last year, clearly Timmins does or he wouldn't have used a 2nd rounder on him. He looks like one of those longer term prospects as he needs a lot of work on the physical tools of strength, speed, skating (talking about pre injury since I haven't seen him since last season)

Just how poor are his speed and skating? Those arent good weaknesses to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad