Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He has never been considred fast. His skating is likely his biggest weakness.

He sure was fast his post draft rookie camp, way faster than his peers and older prospects

Galchenyuk wasn't considered fast, but by his 3rd or 4th year he was flying...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He sure was fast his post draft rookie camp, way faster than his peers and older prospects

Galchenyuk wasn't considered fast, but by his 3rd or 4th year he was flying...

Nah, speed was definitely something he desperately needed to address. Luckily his actual stride is fine and he has good technique, just had no pop to his stride.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Nah, speed was definitely something he desperately needed to address. Luckily his actual stride is fine and he has good technique, just had no pop to his stride.
As someone who saw a pretty fair amount of his games last year, I can definitely back you up on this. I was downright horrified at times at what little actual speed he could manage.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He has a plus shot, it's his best asset at this point in his development. Most of his goals have come from his great mid range wrister. Give him some time and space and he'll hurt you for sure.
If there's one element the Habs could use among their forwards...it's a right handed sniper

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Well i’m hella impressed on how he’s stepping up from last year even after this big injury, thats massive for Montreal.

Reactions: cphabs

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's nice to see Joni off to a good start after having his season derailed before it even started. Next step: consistency!

Reactions: 417

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
really happy for the kid, everyone writing him off after his injury. kid is playing with confidence, it will help his development for sure

Reactions: cphabs and Big Lurk

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well i’m hella impressed on how he’s stepping up from last year even after this big injury, thats massive for Montreal.

He was all over the ice in his post draft development camp. Can't wait to see him at this year's camp.

Could he be in the AHL next year?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He was all over the ice in his post draft development camp. Can't wait to see him at this year's camp.

it's a tough call! i'm not aware of his contract situation with the liiga, i'm realy surprise tho, i REALY liked him in his draft year but he dissapointed in his d+1, wich i thought Ok it might just be him adapting to the pro league, Then his injury came, didn't think he was DONE by any mean but didn't realy have any hopes for him either, said to myself will just forget about him and whatever happens happens, Won't jump to any conclusion but he has somehow looked amazing after not playing neither weight lifting for so long... it's quite amazing that the habs can be thrilled with another prospect like him (especially a RH one), Hopefully he can keep going, the skills and shot was always there, he needed to be stronger and a little faster! Depending on his season goes and how his knee holds, yes a jump to the AHL could be a nice option, but if his knee is still of ANY concern, He needs to stay in the liiga as the AHL is a much more physical league, But will repeat myself again and again, Any of our prospect needs to be as fast with Bouchard as possible!

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I believe he just re-signed with KalPa, but it wouldn't make sense to bring him over. We get 4 years with Euro prospects, he needs time to bulk up, get stronger, work on his lower body strength, skating, speed. We are looking to have a strong rookie class next year for Laval unless some make the Habs so you don't want too many rookies at the same time imo.

Reactions: 26Mats and HOPE

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I have seen it with McDavid but then again, he makes everyone look slow.

This goal is very similar to Ikonen's

But yes...NHL defensemen are absolutely unbeatable and laziness is not in their vocabulary because that belongs in non NA leagues. Dumb and pointless prejudice.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This goal is very similar to Ikonen's

But yes...NHL defensemen are absolutely unbeatable and laziness is not in their vocabulary because that belongs in non NA leagues. Dumb and pointless prejudice.

Yes, that was equally bad, btw, what exactly was Drouin doing on that play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad