Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He went pointless wich was a bit expected, 0 in the +/- departement. But he player more than 17 minutes wich is a bot odd to me!

He's still a good prospect. Let's hope there are no lingering long term effects from the injury and he excels as he matures physically.

Eastern Shores

Jun 20, 2018
He's off to a nice start. I like that he has grown a bit and added muscle. Who cares what is stats are the first few games. Let him get his feet under him and get his game timing back. It' just great to hear that his knee was strong and had no issues and it wasn't noticeable in his play.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He's off to a nice start. I like that he has grown a bit and added muscle. Who cares what is stats are the first few games. Let him get his feet under him and get his game timing back. It' just great to hear that his knee was strong and had no issues and it wasn't noticeable in his play.
added muscle? not much he can do in the gym with that type of knee injury, not that upper body is irrelavant in Hockey, but it sure isn't as important as low body strenght!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I heard he looks stronger but is he any faster? I'm sure it would be hard to improve skating after a knee injury though.

Hope he can work on that this offseason.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I heard he looks stronger but is he any faster? I'm sure it would be hard to improve skating after a knee injury though.

Hope he can work on that this offseason.

Many after knee injuries take a little time just to get back to normal. In all likelihood we'll have to be patient. This year will be about getting back into form and we'll have to wait until next season, after a summer of trainning to see if his speed has progressed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nice to see this kid back playing. Finish the year strong and have one more year next year. Then we can see where you are at and if you want to make the trip overseas.

Grade B asset category and we have plenty of them... I expect a few surprises from this group within our prospect pool.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah he walked around that dude way too easily. Kotka would be dominating

Or maybe he's just faster after naturally gaining leg strength from getting older and stronger.

He was already fast last year. He may be even faster this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Videokooste: Jukurit - KalPa 25.01.2019

his goal starts at 1:10 mark

Nice goal...

But this is the same league many people thought would be a better development platform then the NHL?

yes, it's a notch below the SHL, the nucks didn't seem to mind having their top prospect play one more year to get stronger. There's no right or wrong answer but clearly there is a lot less risk when taking caution vs rushing a kid to the NHL where you have to hope you don't mess up the kids confidence.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Nice goal...

But this is the same league many people thought would be a better development platform then the NHL?

NHL is the development platform where if it doesn't work out, some people will say player never had it to begin with. Hard to say which is better with such terms.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
NHL is the development platform where if it doesn't work out, some people will say player never had it to begin with. Hard to say which is better with such terms.
The best development platform, at least IMO, is always the place that offers the most challenge.

SM-Liiga he proved he was more than good enough as a 17yr old....I didn't think then nor do I think now, it would have been more beneficial to him to play there, compared to the NHL, where he's proven more than capable of keeping up with.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
yes, it's a notch below the SHL, the nucks didn't seem to mind having their top prospect play one more year to get stronger. There's no right or wrong answer but clearly there is a lot less risk when taking caution vs rushing a kid to the NHL where you have to hope you don't mess up the kids confidence.
I agree with it when it comes to physical limitations...like with EP, they didn't feel he was strong enough.

So by all means.

But while KK has some physical limitations, he's shown that he's got enough hockey sense to overcome them.

So IMO, best area to develop him will always be where he'll be challenged the most.

And so far, it's proving to be the NHL.

Case by case basis...what's true for KK most likely isn't true for another.

I just don't like taking cookie-cutter approaches in these situations.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Nice goal...

They've certainly been having a poor record developing quality NHLers in recent years.

:sarcasm:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
thats impossible, he had a big knee injury thats kept him away from playing and weight lifting.

I guess he did it before his injury then... he seems a lot more solid down low than he was last year from the recent clips I've seen. Maybe he worked on his core?

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
What a goal. Stellar display of speed and skill. This guy is the Habs most under-the-radar prospect because of his injury. Hopefully he can make a bit of a comeback and light up the Liiga.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad