#58 KINGS v. BLACKHAWKS - 2/3/14, lose 5-3 ... but show heart, so there's that.

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
Chicago had lost 5 out of 6 coming into this game, including losses to Calgary, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Detroit.

They weren't playing well, and they aren't even as good as last years team.

Exactly.

The Kings still suck. I bet they won't score against Columbus (maybe one goal).

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Best game in a long time. The team actually showed up!!!

I think Sutter's done. The presser tonight didn't look good. The team played the best it has in a long time. They also bailed on Sutter's move up the ice in a controlled manner offense. Don't think Sutter can motivate this team while forcing them to play grinding Hockey. Toffoli/Kopi/Carter is not Sutters idea of an acceptable line. Going forward don't think Sutter is the correct coach.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Best game in a long time. The team actually showed up!!!

I think Sutter's done. The presser tonight didn't look good. The team played the best it has in a long time. They also bailed on Sutter's move up the ice in a controlled manner offense. Don't think Sutter can motivate this team while forcing them to play grinding Hockey. Toffoli/Kopi/Carter is not Sutters idea of an acceptable line. Going forward don't think Sutter is the correct coach.

How did you draw all that from this game?

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Because it's my opinion of course!

That is a solid point! :)

Sutter seemed a little choked up during the presser. Could have just had some level 10 spicy Thai food.

TT/Kopitar/Carter, This from a guy that started King/Lewis on the top lines forever. Not only has TT/Kopitar/Carter been played the last 2 games, but they were playing up tempo, trying to generate odd man rushes. This is a major deviation from Sutter's plan and gets players benched.

Muzzin was launching pucks all over the ice tonight. He iced a quite a few when the 2 line passes didn't connect, but with Muzzin I think I prefer an in-zone face off from an icing then Muzzin passing to the other team.

The whole team was looking to move the puck up the ice first instead of moving up as a team then dumping the puck and grinding it in the corners.

The team looked like they enjoyed playing tonight vs the past month of getting shut out. Players during that time were told they weren't going to the net enough. There were games where Carter (after a slow, controlled breakout) tired to go 1 V 2 against the defenders. It was asking too much of the players. Play great D then go out and burn 2 Defenders while being put on lines with bot 6 players.

Don't see Sutter as being able to motivate the team.

Don't see Sutter as getting the most out of the players.

Don't see Sutter as being able to adapt and change his style. Seems like the type too set into his ways.

The teams offense dropping to 29th in the league is not acceptable. The team showed tonight they can generate offense. So if the problem isn't Sutter/System what is it?

Edit: there are some players that wouldn't surprise me to see moved as well.

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
That is a solid point! :)

Sutter seemed a little choked up during the presser. Could have just had some level 10 spicy Thai food.

TT/Kopitar/Carter, This from a guy that started King/Lewis on the top lines forever. Not only has TT/Kopitar/Carter been played the last 2 games, but they were playing up tempo, trying to generate odd man rushes. This is a major deviation from Sutter's plan and gets players benched.

Muzzin was launching pucks all over the ice tonight. He iced a quite a few when the 2 line passes didn't connect, but with Muzzin I think I prefer an in-zone face off from an icing then Muzzin passing to the other team.

The whole team was looking to move the puck up the ice first instead of moving up as a team then dumping the puck and grinding it in the corners.

The team looked like they enjoyed playing tonight vs the past month of getting shut out. Players during that time were told they weren't going to the net enough. There were games where Carter (after a slow, controlled breakout) tired to go 1 V 2 against the defenders. It was asking too much of the players. Play great D then go out and burn 2 Defenders while being put on lines with bot 6 players.

Don't see Sutter as being able to motivate the team.

Don't see Sutter as getting the most out of the players.

None of that at all indicates Sutter has lost the team. Why wouldn't the press conference seem down? They played better and still got beat. They've won one game in their last 10. He praised the team's effort, so why would he do that if they weren't doing what he wanted them to? He demoted Muzzin and gave Doughty Mitchell for stability in the top pairing which paid off. Muzzin's troubles just followed him. He's kept the top line together for two games now. He criticized the bottom six. Just sounds like wishful thinking to me.

As for your edit, the problem is the players.

It's the same system that had them off to their best start in franchise history. We just love to complain about Sutter around here when they're losing, but no one was *****ing and asking that he be fired when they were winning.

Just like no one's asking for Kopitar to be traded now he's back to scoring.

Last edited:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
None of that at all indicates Sutter has lost the team. Why wouldn't the press conference seem down? They played better and still got beat. They've won one game in their last 10. He praised the team's effort, so why would he do that if they weren't doing what he wanted them to? He demoted Muzzin and gave Doughty Mitchell for stability in the top pairing which paid off. Muzzin's troubles just followed him. He's kept the top line together for two games now. He criticized the bottom six. Just sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Could be. Tonight's game didn't seem to you like a major step away from Sutter's normal game plan? He doesn't seem like the type to me to do something like that. Then the presser wasn't more about what Sutter was saying vs his emotion. I don't think Sutter came up with the game plan tonight. I think it was the players stepping away. That and I remember TT being benched for trying stretch passes and sneaking up to catch teams on line changes. Now you see that through the whole game?

A coach that won't play Vey instead of Fraser, suddenly came out and played a high risk game against the Hawks?

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
When the Kings were winning Sutter's BS was amusing. When the Kings have the 29th worst offense Sutter's BS isn't funny.

It's the players? Most of the players showed tonight they were capable of play NHL level hockey. 3 goals and a bunch of posts? Crawford with a few steals. Kings were in a game against one of the top teams.

And Oh yeah, Sure glad Sutter decided to play TT with the top line over Lewis. I'll include King too, though King's done well. It just took the Kings to only outscore Buff for this to take place. Fraser's bummed he's stuck with Frattin now I guess.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Could be. Tonight's game didn't seem to you like a major step away from Sutter's normal game plan? He doesn't seem like the type to me to do something like that. Then the presser wasn't more about what Sutter was saying vs his emotion. I don't think Sutter came up with the game plan tonight. I think it was the players stepping away. That and I remember TT being benched for trying stretch passes and sneaking up to catch teams on line changes. Now you see that through the whole game?

A coach that won't play Vey instead of Fraser, suddenly came out and played a high risk game against the Hawks?

No. Do you even know what Sutter's game plan is? Puck possession. Puck possession. More puck possession. Kings had a lot of puck possession tonight. Sutter seemed quite pleased with that. He wasn't pleased with result, the frustration of some players, and the performance of the bottom six.

And where did you find out Toffoli was benched for stretch passes and trying to catch opponents on shift changes?

Sutter has always favored the vets over the rookies. That's not indicative of anything and tonight may have seemed high risk probably because the Kings were down 2-0 relatively early in the game, but it really wasn't too much different from what the Kings are supposed to do.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
When the Kings were winning Sutter's BS was amusing. When the Kings have the 29th worst offense Sutter's BS isn't funny.

It's the players? Most of the players showed tonight they were capable of play NHL level hockey. 3 goals and a bunch of posts? Crawford with a few steals. Kings were in a game against one of the top teams.

And Oh yeah, Sure glad Sutter decided to play TT with the top line over Lewis. I'll include King too, though King's done well. It just took the Kings to only outscore Buff for this to take place. Fraser's bummed he's stuck with Frattin now I guess.

Oh, I see...So best start in franchise history? Just amusing ********...but oh man now that they've had a terrible month? It's serious time. Are you not entertained anymore? :laugh:

Yeah, it's the players. They certainly scored some goals tonight, but completely derped on their defensive play. It's really a lot like the Columbus game actually and not just because of the score. When you do a parade to the penalty box and give away huge turnovers that turn into scoring chances, you're not gonna have a good time. Once the players figure out how to do both again, like we all know they're capable of and have done before, the team will be fine.

It really may all just come down to rest and practice, something they've lacked for the last month. They've maintained an every other day pace of games for a while now.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
We didn't embarrass ourselves. Lots of positives to go with the cavalcade of negatives.

The Good: Kopitar-Carter-Toffoli is now a thing, and it shouldn't be altered. They had some definite zest tonight!

The Bad: Richards, Williams, and Brown generated enough chances to win 3 games, but buried nothing and combined for a few goals against because of sloppy play. All three were to blame, but I hope they are kept together, because they created some opportunities and against a mortal team that isn't Chicago the counter attack wont rip them to shreds.

The Ugly: When the game is on the line and the pace picks up, Matt Greene clocks in at 13:41. I love what he brings when he's taken his brain medicine, but if he is expecting a payday there is NO way he is sticking around.

Give the 2nd line a break Brown and Williams hit posts. Brown had 3 or 4 good shots that Crawford made great saves on. Richards was active and overall played a good game. Kings had all the momentum then that bad break off Greene's stick just took the air out.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Herby's comment about ticket prices here in Chicago is correct. they are obscene and the average fan can only afford a few games per season, if they don't commit to being a STH. every seat at the UC is bought by the myriad of ticket brokers here in Chicago and they jack up the prices. yes there is high demand for them, but the brokers set high prices and the public eats it up. it truly is a legalized form of ticket scalping. i'm sure the city of Chicago is getting some type of cut so they let the practice continue.

$250. that is what i paid for the LA-CHI game last year total. $150 for my ticket in the 300's about half way up. parking, nachos, beers, beers, beers. and the inevitable drubbing of LA by the Hawks. fun times

better effort last night i will give them that. at least they exhibited some passion, where for game after game they hadn't.

5 goals. i don't care if it was the Hawks, this team is no longer elite defensively imo. yeah the PKs don't help, but where is the LA team that would kill off 24 of 25 penalties? where's that team?

the BH's and Q's secret weapon? put Kane on the ice every time that RR is out there. he has no answer for this. without having AMart in the lineup, LA has no defenseman to counter Kane. Alec is the only LHD for LA that can skate with Kaner

if it isn't for Quick making a handful if ridiculous saves every game the team's GAA is through the roof. the loss of Scuds we knew was going to hurt, but man i didn't think it was going to be this bad. what was once a team strength is now a liability.

this summer Dean needs to completely retool the D corp. the only guys i am comfortable with are DD on the #1 RD and AMart on the #3 pairing. the big question is which Voynov returns next season? RR has a year remaining, but it would be nice if Dean can move his contact. if he can't then limited minutes in the bottom pairing.

as he did before Dean needs to build this thing from the back to the front. get the D corp back to where it should be and it will help alleviate the problems up front. the LA breakout and transition right now is **** because the D corp is struggling. fix this and it will help fix up ice problems.

like i said about two weeks ago. i saw this season as a throw away year, because the team was missing some pieces and Dean has little to no room to maneuver with. he has less assets to work with in prospects and high picks. the boys will turn this thing around, but i don't foresee anything fantastic happening. they may win a 1st round series, provided they can get back to being a .600 team and get in but they aren't going to push for the SC this year.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
We miss Scud's so much, you never called out his name much, maybe because he always was in the right place at the right time.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Give the 2nd line a break Brown and Williams hit posts. Brown had 3 or 4 good shots that Crawford made great saves on. Richards was active and overall played a good game. Kings had all the momentum then that bad break off Greene's stick just took the air out.

The result was bad, but I've advocated keeping them together at least twice in this thread alone, including where you quoted me.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
F the moral victory.

Can't remember what a win feels like.

PP still sucks and the kings take too many penalties.

Why does Chicago make Quick look like Cloutier?

Richards Brown and Williams need to be separated.

Kings will not beat Chicago in a seven game series in the next two or three years.

i second this.....

If we want the cup we have to beat the Hawks in a 7 game series.
And what about the Kings have the best roster since a decade ????

It's always accepting a loss and admitting tho opponent is better.
This has to stop.
We have to win games... doesn't matter who or where...PERIOD

Really.... this fan base needs some pride

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino