57th Obsequious Banter Thread - And now for the Lanthanides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
George Forman said it well.

He said if Connor tries to box with Floyd, he will get picked apart.

He said "have you ever watched a girl fight? Heads down just throwing wild punches." Basically said that if Connor goes at him and throws wildly, he might catch Floyd. But if he tries to box he will lose.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Floyd will happily run around just outside of reach letting him wear himself out if he does that though. He would need to combine that with great ring control to pin him in, and good luck with that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Floyd will happily run around just outside of reach letting him wear himself out if he does that though. He would need to combine that with great ring control to pin him in, and good luck with that.

Tim and Sid also showed them when they were face to face, and commented how small Flyods head was in comparison to Connor. They said maybe Floyd's small head is why he is so hard to hit.

:laugh:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If McGregor actually wins I'm just going to assume it's fixed, but who knows, with the way they have been judging fights lately, Floyd's perfect record might be in jeopardy. I don't think McGregor will have the endurance to actually do any damage if it goes 12 rounds.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
If McGregor actually wins I'm just going to assume it's fixed, but who knows, with the way they have been judging fights lately, Floyd's perfect record might be in jeopardy. I don't think McGregor will have the endurance to actually do any damage if it goes 12 rounds.

This is one thing I've thought of as well. I don't really watch fighting sports, but I know the UFC tops out at 5 rounds. That's a large difference in the potential length of a fight.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
That's what I've been saying about Conor. He gets tired too quick in his own fights, and he's fighting a guy who can go 12 and not break a sweat at 40-something.

Also, Conor's big punch in MMA is probably just a normal punch in boxing.

But, I'm rooting for Conor. I know it's a longshot, but I hate Floyd. Plus, Conor has a way of making things happen. He talked a huge game before fighting Aldo, who was the best fighter in the world for a the lead-up to the fight, and he knocked Aldo out in seconds...

You never know.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
The amount of people who discount MMA to boxing is hilarious, especially considering most people have no clue what they're talking about. MMA is a rougher sport, you take more damage and it's harder to be dominant in for a long period of time. Longevity is not your friend in MMA. To say that Conor's big punch is just a normal punch in boxing is insanely moronic and tells me that you don't know enough about MMA to be commenting on intricacies in technique.

If Conor is able to catch Floyd with punches, he's going to be in trouble, make no mistake about it.

There's also zero to no chance that Floyd is able to knock Conor out. It's just not going to happen. Floyd has to win by out boxing-savvy-ing Conor to a defensive decision.

I'm not sure who wins this fight, but if it were in the octagon it would be over in about 15 seconds. The fact that people refer to Conor in this situation as a gimmick challenger who has no chance is infuriating and incorrect.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I expect Mayweather to take the fall simply for the nine figure payout of the rematch.

I don't think his ego would allow him to give up that perfect record to anyone nonetheless to a guy who isn't even a boxer. I could see him willingly to drag it out & make it closer to get another rematch. At that point though who would really be interested? People somehow got themselves duped into the Pacman fight & were unsurprisingly so turned off by it come the end.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Powerball winner having a news conference. Lucky woman.

Chomp that gum.

:laugh:

My friends wife won $200k on the Powerball last night. Happy for them they are the the kind of people u would like to see win they do alot of things for others.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
The amount of people who discount MMA to boxing is hilarious, especially considering most people have no clue what they're talking about. MMA is a rougher sport, you take more damage and it's harder to be dominant in for a long period of time. Longevity is not your friend in MMA. To say that Conor's big punch is just a normal punch in boxing is insanely moronic and tells me that you don't know enough about MMA to be commenting on intricacies in technique.

If Conor is able to catch Floyd with punches, he's going to be in trouble, make no mistake about it.

There's also zero to no chance that Floyd is able to knock Conor out. It's just not going to happen. Floyd has to win by out boxing-savvy-ing Conor to a defensive decision.

I'm not sure who wins this fight, but if it were in the octagon it would be over in about 15 seconds. The fact that people refer to Conor in this situation as a gimmick challenger who has no chance is infuriating and incorrect.

Wow, alright champ. Take it away with your intricate coverage for us all. I'll make sure not to comment on things I'm interested in anymore.

neildegrasse.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think his ego would allow him to give up that perfect record to anyone nonetheless to a guy who isn't even a boxer. I could see him willingly to drag it out & make it closer to get another rematch. At that point though who would really be interested? People somehow got themselves duped into the Pacman fight & were unsurprisingly so turned off by it come the end.

Yeah he will fight as he usually does, punch and avoid getting hit.

It Connor tags him, then it's legit. He won't want to be the boxer who lost to a MMA fighter.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

I actually enjoy MMA but comments like this are just cringeworthy.

Where can this elitist attitude come from? We hear all the time that boxing is dying and according to the MMA diehards not only is their sport the heir apparent but its also a marked improvement.
Yet its most marketable fighter, Jon Jones notwithstanding, still needs the Mayweather/Boxing's circus to get almost anyone outside of Brazil or North America to pay attention.

Yes the fighters take more punishment but to say its harder to be dominant is debatable. And that's being kind.

What's the talent pool like currently worldwide for MMA? Compare it to boxing now and it MIGHT be competitive. Compare it to decades past and MMA will likely never reach those numbers of worldwide participation. Harder to be dominant? Try again.

As much as I like Conor until the bell rings and he proves everyone wrong he IS a gimmick challenger. He's among the most dominant figures in a fledging sport still struggling to really get out the blocks facing arguably the greatest pound for pound fighter in the history of boxing.

It's not really MMA vs. Boxing. Its really a technician vs a fighter who uses his hands amongst other techniques in a boxing match. To simplify it to the binary is asinine and degrades both fighters.

I feel like I've played the contrarian a lot this summer so I'll do it again by defending Floyd one time.

Remember this: his prime was ~10 to 15 years ago. Every other fighter of his caliber in any combat sport you want to name at his age was either retired, dead, dead broke, getting knocked around by younger men so they could stop being broke, or happened to be Bernard Hopkins.

For various reasons, some are self-inflicted by boxing itself, he's still the face of the sport, still the biggest draw (in all of sports), and before his last retirement was still routinely outclassing top fighters several of who were almost half his age. When Mcgregor or any MMA fighter puts together that type of legacy/longevity give me a call.

Youre talking about the greatest defensive fighter of all time vs. a non-boxer. The Mcgregor skepticism is completely warranted.

Also,:laugh: at the "Floyd cant knock Conor out" comments as if they mean anything.
Of course you wouldnt expect a 40 year old who was never known for his power and who fought at his heaviest at light middleweight to knock out 29 year old in his prime.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's nothing crazy in saying a non-boxer stands little to no chance in a boxing ring against a high level boxer thus why many believe it be a gimmick. The same would be said if it was the other way around.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I didn't watch him fight Manny. It's deeply annoying how he waited until Manny had clearly dropped before fighting him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Mayweather can absolutely end up KOing McGregor. There is a limit to how many punches the guy can eat, and the disparity in handspeed is going to be a tremendous issue. Mayweather might be able to punch faster than McGregor can block.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't watch him fight Manny. It's deeply annoying how he waited until Manny had clearly dropped before fighting him.

I think Manny had like a torn rotator cuff or something going into the fight too so it made even more uneventful. Manny is still a good fighter even to this day but he's obviously lost his fastball & isn't in the discussion as top pound for pound fighter discussion like he used to be. By the time they eventually signed on for the fight I think everybody who really paid attention to boxing knew it was too late at that point & was going to turn out bad which it did.

Floyd despite all his success has never really been a guy to keep you entertained in a fight even in his prime. I don't really care what his fans say. It's 12 uneventful rounds where he basically dances around & does enough for the win.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Mayweather can absolutely end up KOing McGregor. There is a limit to how many punches the guy can eat, and the disparity in handspeed is going to be a tremendous issue. Mayweather might be able to punch faster than McGregor can block.

Yep. Accumulation is a real thing, especially with a guy who has gone 25 minutes once and not longer than 10 before that. I'm sure he's training his ass off and will be prepared, but this is a long, long slog.

Or none of this could matter because Floyd breaks his hand again and we have a repeat of Baldomir from Round 6 on. That's actually the most interesting version of the fight to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad