Post-Game Talk: #57: Flyers at Canadiens, Friday, February 19, 2016

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
AMac wasn't good, but he wasn't necessarly bad. He wasn't the reason we lost anyhow. Schultz trying to block the pass was just bad puck luck, yet he has been pretry bad in general... The top 6 just didn't really show up much tonight besides Cousin that brought alot of energy. I also thought Raffl goal or not showed up to play.

Teams are starting to figure out the concept of double teaming G on the PP setup which then causes them to clear the zone. The PP could use some small changing if it keeps up. Voracek always has so much ice space and NEVER seems to take advantage and shoot the puck. If he does this, Giroux gets his space back. It seemed like a sloppy game by both teams. The next game is big decider for Hexy.

The shootout seems to be a bigger mental barrier than anything. Maybe why Cousins had success because he's new ? Regardless Neuvirth wanted that win and sad he didn't get it. After the Simmonds fail at 5-hole I think Vora should of went high glove side.
we need a one timer where voracek is. He's killed the pp alone. He does nothing.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
CboRpKDWEAE-g8M.jpg:large

Source link: https://twitter.com/SNstats

Yukon Cornelius*

Just watched the game, sloppy, just sloppy.

Cousins once again creating.

Need more from Shultz, Striet, Umberger.

I wish this team had that attitude - just TAKE the ****ing game. OWN the ****!

I completely agree. For all the needless twisting and knotting of their panties found in these threads, (this one as a prime example) the true concern for this team and their fanbase should be their inability to protect leads or put teams away when given the opportunity. They were awful under Lavy, worse under the Chief and still awful under Hakstol. We're going back as much as five seasons now. It has to be addressed by the veteran contingent of this club.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Grasping at straws again, are we?

The problem with this team is talent, pure and simple. We've seen this with the Penguins, even with a few top talents, Hockey is a team game that requires depth, you need to roll out 4 lines and 6 defensemen, while the third and fourth line don't have to be allstars, they have to be competent, same with your third pair of defensemen - one bad group can lose you games with a quick goal or two for the opposing team.

Flyers had a lack of depth before they lost Couts and MDZ, now it's obvious. The only solution is time, Cousins is a good example, two years he's a marginal AHL player, last night he was one of the best Flyers on the ice. Ghost went from college to ACL to allstar in two years.

There just isn't much that could be done this season, Hextall moved out Grossman, L Schenn and Vinnie, moved in a couple kids, he'll move in 4-5 kids next year and again in 2017-18. There's no magic trade or free agent in the day of tight caps, the trade would cost assets they can't afford to lose (in three years, when the surfeit of draft picks results in an organization surplus that could be a different matter), the big signing would cap strap them again for five years.

All you can do is grin and bear it, the team isn't that far away, add some forwards like Lindblom, Konecny, AK, Leier over the next two years and they'll look better, add the wunderkids on defense and they'll look a lot better (look at the difference Ghost makes, now imagine Provorov and Sanheim out there as well).

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Grasping at straws again, are we?

The problem with this team is talent, pure and simple. We've seen this with the Penguins, even with a few top talents, Hockey is a team game that requires depth, you need to roll out 4 lines and 6 defensemen, while the third and fourth line don't have to be allstars, they have to be competent, same with your third pair of defensemen - one bad group can lose you games with a quick goal or two for the opposing team.

Flyers had a lack of depth before they lost Couts and MDZ, now it's obvious. The only solution is time, Cousins is a good example, two years he's a marginal AHL player, last night he was one of the best Flyers on the ice. Ghost went from college to ACL to allstar in two years.

There just isn't much that could be done this season, Hextall moved out Grossman, L Schenn and Vinnie, moved in a couple kids, he'll move in 4-5 kids next year and again in 2017-18. There's no magic trade or free agent in the day of tight caps, the trade would cost assets they can't afford to lose (in three years, when the surfeit of draft picks results in an organization surplus that could be a different matter), the big signing would cap strap them again for five years.

All you can do is grin and bear it, the team isn't that far away, add some forwards like Lindblom, Konecny, AK, Leier over the next two years and they'll look better, add the wunderkids on defense and they'll look a lot better (look at the difference Ghost makes, now imagine Provorov and Sanheim out there as well).

Although I agree with most, probably 99% of your post....our best players had the game on their sticks last night and failed. That's on them

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I recall Read having a few top shelf glove hand snipes in the SO in recent years, maybe time to give him a shot again ?

Cousins was a good call I thought though, something different.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nah.. some people just don't want to get in the middle of it I think.

They definitely try in the shootout.. but they suck. It's not an effort thing at all.

This is it. Not really worth bothering. To say they don't try is just silly.

Chalk me up to this as well.

To say they don't try in SO is just dumb.

Reality is, we lack natural goal scorers AND guys with creativity.

Giroux...has creativity
Jake....passer who can't hit his spots on shots
Simmonds...net front banger
Schenn...not a bad shot
Couts....see Jake

These are our top 5 players. Only G has creativity, and not have natural goal scoring ability.

Then we drop down to guys like Raffl, Laughton, Umberger, Read, Gagner...and our 4th liners.

Seriously, it's not surprising we struggle in SO. We lack a ton of talent. Other teams have guys who tend to have a good shot, or have moves. We lack that.

Pretty much what I thought. What I was saying was common sense, other people don't need to chime in to the middle of a stupid argument and waste their time. I wouldn't bother arguing something so dumb either but I was bored :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So can Hakstol switch these putrid lines up now that we lost to the worst team in the NHL since 12/1?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There are teams that dog, but I haven't seen that from this team, some off nights, but that's to be expected over 80 games.

One nice thing, I think Hakstol is getting prepared for Couts return, Laughton - Cousins - Read might be a good 3rd line with Raffl moving back up with Couts and Schenn.

It shows you that depth works both ways, add a Konecny to the 3rd line, move Read to the 4th line with Leier and the forwards might look a lot better next year. And if Straka keeps improving, he might be a wildcard who could add some speed and scoring (can't be worse than Gagner or Weal).

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
Why not use Ghost in the shootout?

Blues fans can relate. Hitch keeps putting out the likes of Brouwer or Lehtera instead of Fabbri. Watched this game last night and Ghost wasn't out there enough in 3on3 either. He is quite a player, going to be great watching him for a long time.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Yep doing the same move over and over again despite it never working is just the definition of trying your best. How dare I expect a NHL player to try something different when their glide in and take a weak wrister into the goalies pad every attempt doesn't work. Really is actually a high effort attempt, he definitely gave it his all. He just sucks so why bother switching it up. Nothing to do with effort, he just isn't smart enough to try something different, how could I expect a NHLer to try and adapt. Might as well just do the same thing that doesn't work over and over again since that's his best effort. I'm sorry for being so wrong...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00