Post-Game Talk: #57| FLYERS 1 at Flames 3| Wednesday, February 15, 2017

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This speaks to any number of things, including the relative dead weight we had at C (Vinny, Umberger now and then) and G's slippage 5-on-5 last year.

It also doesn't speak to trajectory. Where was Sean in 2014 and where is he today? Same place? Half a step forward? Or a step back?

There's a famous saying about lying with statistics; I'd prefer to say you can make any case about a player these days in a spreadsheet, with a few exceptions (ahem VDV). A few of you are just locked in on this player. It's to a fault, in my view.

The numbers were from 2015-16 and this year. Lecavalier accounted for 7 games played last year with a grand total of 66 minutes played in all situations. Umberger played in less than half of the games and played in only 351 even strength minutes -- or 12 more than part-timer Nick Cousins -- and as you say, the majority of those minutes were not at Center. Umberger even had a positive GF% at 5v5 last year if you can believe it. Neither has played a game this year, obviously. One minor quibble at best, one absolute non-factor.

Giroux taking a step back at ES does impact this, but was also still positive at ES by the end of the year. This year, the entire team's GF% is a dumpster fire, and we're only comparing to teammates.

You seem to be focusing on what you think Couturier can't do. I believe this is philosophically wrong. I don't care how a player is effective. I care about how effective they are. This is why I bristle when someone comes in saying Couturier isn't a 2C or whatever other label you want to place on him, but don't when the criticism is, "I don't think his skill set fits his position on PP2."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad