Post-Game Talk: #56: Panthers 1 at FLYERS 4, Monday, Feb. 10, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
The "Cult of Personality" talk reminded me of this song. Another good one from back in the day. Can't say I've ever heard any other songs from them though.

Reactions: flyersnorth

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
OFFICIAL THREE STARS:
  1. JVR
  2. Hart
  3. Sanheim

51Ssq6R4PTL._SY300_.jpg

GDT
Event summary
Right stars, wrong order
1. Hart
2. Sanheim
3. JVR

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
69 points. Nice.

Frost- another game where he wasn't out of place. Add it to the pile.
  • The day after I give Frost mad props for his NZ work with the puck, his first shift a turns it over after gaining the red line, leading to some Panthers pressure. Making me look bad, Morgan
  • Provorov’s goal resulting from Frost carrying the puck through the NZ and into the offensive zone. In other words, not dumping it in. Making me look good, Morgan
  • Battling along the boards like Giroux tonight, small stature, big fight. Hope he keeps that up. I remember a sequence where he was digging and digging on 3 different spots on the boards in one shift. Came away with the puck twice, tied it up once for JVR. One of those times may have been the Provy goal, actually
  • Ugh that pass to Myers, who I love watching skate past people
Provorov and Niskanen both with brain farts on that loose puck as the Panthers were retouching. It was on Niskanen’s side. Directly leading to that sequence was a weak outlet pass from Provorov. Rough go for each player on that shift.
  • Provorov needs to take more wrist shots, because it’s utterly lethal. Take a page out of Sanheim’s playbook when the team is set up and move those feet and aggressively eat up that open ice. Get in a spot to snap that sucker off
Sanheim- another beast of a game. Add it to the pile.
  • Big time first chance a minute or 2 after the Panthers scored. Walked in to the top of the circle from the point and was still wide open. He’s so good at getting to the soft spots in the offensive zone.
  • There he was driving another rush, 130 feet, after making an outlet pass at the top of the defensive zone circles. Goal. Beast
  • Only bad play he made was losing that puck on the blueline causing a 2-1. Carter was there.
Myers- I love watching him skate past people. I also love watching him create space for a better shot angle.
  • Shift in the first period where he made a quick half toedrag to get a better shooting angle. Missed the net, but got through low and hard as a good tip shot. A few seconds later made a Ghost like move to get to the slot but the puck rolled on him and only got a weak shot off.
  • 3 times this game Myers has blown by a forward in the offensive zone off the point. Zoom. On the other end of the ice, he carried the puck out twice, once off a faceoff. Feelsgoodman
Laughton- please spare us. He MUST be relegated to 4th line duties where he doesn't get caved (usually). This is a desperate need for him and the team.
  • Only noticeable play in the 1st was a bad turnover leading to extended pressure by the Panthers.
  • On the PK he telegraphed a NZ pass on a would be 3-1 that got intercepted, not just tipped.
  • Lost a puck under no duress on the offensive zone half wall in his first shift in the 3rd.
  • That f***ing slash at the end of the game. Really buddy?
NAK- Continuing his excellent play. He is really settling into an effective bottom 6er

Opponents skate past Braun unimpeded too many times for my liking. That play where he was backpedaling on a 2 on 2 (after just…not playing the puck?) and it turned into a 2-1 was….something. On the other hand, Myers skates past people multiple times per game and I like watching Myers skate past people.

Hart made the momentum saves we were sorely missing these last 4 weeks.

This was a game where the team's offensively astute and mobile defensemen really helped. How bad was it? The Coots line was matched up against the famed Barkov et al. Coots had an 11.11 CF% and a 0.1 xGF%. He vastly outperformed his linemates who turned in ZEROS ACROSS THE BOARD with Barkov on the ice. Bigtime yikes, boys. The second line didn't fare much better. In the tale of two 6's though, the bottom six all recorded bright green CF% and xGF%.

This d corps has the horses to keep up with nasty transition hockey for one, and secondly, the ability to match the quick strike style that's so important in the NHL today. I've always said this team already has one of the better transitional games in the NHL, and it's only going to get better as Sanheim and Myers continue to develop. Myers had a 62% xGF tonight. Ya love to see it.

Clean it up for next game. To many bobbles and sloppy passing, though props on hanging in there, recovering well, and and burying chances.

giphy.gif

oKo4TkW.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pretty much what I saw with a few different glimpses.

Frost looked shaky the first period, two turnovers, bad body language, then settled down. The skill is there, but you can see rookie jitters.
Voracek was not good, he had the one good pass to JVR, otherwise a turnover machine.
Provorov definitely should use that wrist shot, he should NOT be the PP QB, but he should be on the PP to shoot.

TK was MIA offensively, but maybe one of the best games of his career, 5 blocked shots, took a licking and kept on ticking - you add this kind of performance to his offensive skill set and you have a special player.

Raffl - Bunnaman - NAK were awesome, should play more minutes, next year I can see Twarynski/Rubtsov push Raffl, but Bunnaman has settled in nicely and NAK is raising his game.

JVR and Pitlick carried Frost a bit, JVR/TK were doing this for Giroux, something tells me JVR is better than advertised.

Laughton looked slow, wonder if he's sick, because he had no legs.

Sanheim was the shaky one, too many turnovers, but compensated on the offensive side, Myers for once was the more reliable of the pair.

Hart looked shaky the 1st period and the beginning of the 2nd period, then the rust flaked off and it was all over for the Panthers.

Braun is showing his age, just turned 33 and looked it, he's not awful, but he needs someone better than Hagg paired with him.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Flyers are 11-2 when JvR scores, as per the ESPN bottom line... if he didn’t have that snakebitten stretch, his #s would look a lot better

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I do worry about Braun in the playoffs. A smartly coached team, or alert players, are bound to notice that he can be burned in a seven game series. A good skater can get him to commit to the angle he thinks is gonna happen and then change it up and turn on the speed and he's not likely to recover.

On the other hand AV is pretty good at matchups so maybe not

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Myers had an improved performance. Was steadier.

Sanheim had a Myersish performance—a couple standout positives, & about 3 terrible mistakes that directly led to big-time scoring chances, each of which could easily have gone in.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Frost got better as the game progressed. But he still came across as a complete flyweight, & was poor early.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
#FreeTK

#Scratch21not82

7e4Hh42_d.jpg

Stiz, for such a majestic subject as a sawft boy and his unicorn steed, I feel like you need a more majestic image. We don't want people thinking Sanheim is performing horrific, painful experiments on his dear partner!

I present you this. To use, as you choose, for the unicorn rides to come over the years. Saddle up.

pRiIOA2.png

69 points. Nice.

Frost- another game where he wasn't out of place. Add it to the pile.
  • The day after I give Frost mad props for his NZ work with the puck, his first shift a turns it over after gaining the red line, leading to some Panthers pressure. Making me look bad, Morgan
  • Provorov’s goal resulting from Frost carrying the puck through the NZ and into the offensive zone. In other words, not dumping it in. Making me look good, Morgan
  • Battling along the boards like Giroux tonight, small stature, big fight. Hope he keeps that up. I remember a sequence where he was digging and digging on 3 different spots on the boards in one shift. Came away with the puck twice, tied it up once for JVR. One of those times may have been the Provy goal, actually
  • Ugh that pass to Myers, who I love watching skate past people
Provorov and Niskanen both with brain farts on that loose puck as the Panthers were retouching. It was on Niskanen’s side. Directly leading to that sequence was a weak outlet pass from Provorov. Rough go for each player on that shift.
  • Provorov needs to take more wrist shots, because it’s utterly lethal. Take a page out of Sanheim’s playbook when the team is set up and move those feet and aggressively eat up that open ice. Get in a spot to snap that sucker off
Sanheim- another beast of a game. Add it to the pile.
  • Big time first chance a minute or 2 after the Panthers scored. Walked in to the top of the circle from the point and was still wide open. He’s so good at getting to the soft spots in the offensive zone.
  • There he was driving another rush, 130 feet, after making an outlet pass at the top of the defensive zone circles. Goal. Beast
  • Only bad play he made was losing that puck on the blueline causing a 2-1. Carter was there.
Myers- I love watching him skate past people. I also love watching him create space for a better shot angle.
  • Shift in the first period where he made a quick half toedrag to get a better shooting angle. Missed the net, but got through low and hard as a good tip shot. A few seconds later made a Ghost like move to get to the slot but the puck rolled on him and only got a weak shot off.
  • 3 times this game Myers has blown by a forward in the offensive zone off the point. Zoom. On the other end of the ice, he carried the puck out twice, once off a faceoff. Feelsgoodman
Laughton- please spare us. He MUST be relegated to 4th line duties where he doesn't get caved (usually). This is a desperate need for him and the team.
  • Only noticeable play in the 1st was a bad turnover leading to extended pressure by the Panthers.
  • On the PK he telegraphed a NZ pass on a would be 3-1 that got intercepted, not just tipped.
  • Lost a puck under no duress on the offensive zone half wall in his first shift in the 3rd.
  • That ****ing slash at the end of the game. Really buddy?
NAK- Continuing his excellent play. He is really settling into an effective bottom 6er

Opponents skate past Braun unimpeded too many times for my liking. That play where he was backpedaling on a 2 on 2 (after just…not playing the puck?) and it turned into a 2-1 was….something. On the other hand, Myers skates past people multiple times per game and I like watching Myers skate past people.

Hart made the momentum saves we were sorely missing these last 4 weeks.

This was a game where the team's offensively astute and mobile defensemen really helped. How bad was it? The Coots line was matched up against the famed Barkov et al. Coots had an 11.11 CF% and a 0.1 xGF%. He vastly outperformed his linemates who turned in ZEROS ACROSS THE BOARD with Barkov on the ice. Bigtime yikes, boys. The second line didn't fare much better. In the tale of two 6's though, the bottom six all recorded bright green CF% and xGF%.

This d corps has the horses to keep up with nasty transition hockey for one, and secondly, the ability to match the quick strike style that's so important in the NHL today. I've always said this team already has one of the better transitional games in the NHL, and it's only going to get better as Sanheim and Myers continue to develop. Myers had a 62% xGF tonight. Ya love to see it.

Clean it up for next game. To many bobbles and sloppy passing, though props on hanging in there, recovering well, and and burying chances.

giphy.gif

oKo4TkW.gif

I bet no one actually read this.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I do worry about Braun in the playoffs. A smartly coached team, or alert players, are bound to notice that he can be burned in a seven game series. A good skater can get him to commit to the angle he thinks is gonna happen and then change it up and turn on the speed and he's not likely to recover.

On the other hand AV is pretty good at matchups so maybe not

He was a not insignificant reason they lost to the Pens in the Finals, and was directly responsible for completely surrendering the momentum in Game 1 or 2 (can't remember which it was).

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Stiz, for such a majestic subject as a sawft boy and his unicorn steed, I feel like you need a more majestic image. We don't want people thinking Sanheim is performing horrific, painful experiments on his dear partner!

I present you this. To use, as you choose, for the unicorn rides to come over the years. Saddle up.

pRiIOA2.png

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad