Post-Game Talk: #56: Panthers 1 at FLYERS 4, Monday, Feb. 10, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
The way the Flyers are constantly moving pucks along the walls and being forced to fire saucer passes through tight gaps cross ice or to the points contributes a lot to the flubs and missed passes.

The players are constantly in positions where they have to execute high level plays instead of simple ones while on the PP. The lack of movement or open options leads to forcing high risk plays which of course will lead to miss handled plays.

The current set up increases spacing but also reduces the amount of lanes to pass through and increases the distance of those passes. Outside of when one of the wall players and the point man are playing catch there are very few easy passes to make.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As for MT, if you're going to have a player like Provorov on PP1 then you shouldn't be trying to generate so very much from there point. It gives his weaknesses every chance to assert themselves. It's a bad coaching decision.

One way Provorov does make sense on PP1 is when you have both Giroux and Voracek on that unit, how many playmakers do you want out there?
Provorov gives you someone who has an excellent wrist shot, but to take advantage of it he has to move down from the blue line toward the slot area.
So you'd want to design plays to rotate the wings, cover for him and let him slip into the middle to set up a shot.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
One way Provorov does make sense on PP1 is when you have both Giroux and Voracek on that unit, how many playmakers do you want out there?
Provorov gives you someone who has an excellent wrist shot, but to take advantage of it he has to move down from the blue line toward the slot area.
So you'd want to design plays to rotate the wings, cover for him and let him slip into the middle to set up a shot.

I like what you've proposed, and I admire that you overcame a crippling sausage deficiency to write it. Unfortunately, while he is an absolute genius at that sort of maneuver on the rush, thus far he rarely does that on an established cycle.

I cannot understand the religious devotion we've seen to keeping him on PP1 in all arrangements, and I'm in the Cult of Provorov

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The only thing I don’t like about Provorov on the PP is his obsession with drop passes in the neutral zone.

It was one of the first things I noticed about him pre-draft in Brandon, I mentioned it on here in fact in pre-draft threads, & it sure hasn’t changed.

And these aren’t little handoffs like Jak does sometimes, either.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
What do you mean? Jake was good last night. His assist to JVR was sweet and he was working hard all night.

He had a lot of errant passes. Off kind of plays like just falling down on a rush. He played well to start then settled into that kind of stuff. Hopefully he comes back this game.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He had a lot of errant passes. Off kind of plays like just falling down on a rush. He played well to start then settled into that kind of stuff. Hopefully he comes back this game.

It was that kind of game for just about everyone on both teams. Lots of sloppiness, falling down, penalties, turnovers, etc.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The only thing I don’t like about Provorov on the PP is his obsession with drop passes in the neutral zone.

It was one of the first things I noticed about him pre-draft in Brandon, I mentioned it on here in fact in pre-draft threads, & it sure hasn’t changed.

And these aren’t little handoffs like Jak does sometimes, either.
You should also dislike how long it takes him to process plays from the point. It doesn't take much time to allow the penalty killers to reset if you delay even for half a second.

He doesn't funnel passes quickly enough between G and Jake, which limits the next options for everyone. It's a subtle reason why he's not PP1 material at the moment; maybe he gets better, but I doubt it.

Reactions: Striiker and Tripod

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You should also dislike how long it takes him to process plays from the point. It doesn't take much time to allow the penalty killers to reset if you delay even for half a second.

He doesn't funnel passes quickly enough between G and Jake, which limits the next options for everyone. It's a subtle reason why he's not PP1 material at the moment; maybe he gets better, but I doubt it.

He also still doesn't mask his intentions at all. If it looks like he's passing to Giroux, then that's exactly what's going to happen. He does nothing to make the PK flinch. It's a skill Ghost, Streit, and Timonen before him had. There's no deception to his game.

Reactions: Magua and Striiker

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Again: Berube learned and developed and got better. Why do people refuse to realize that? Why do people not notice that he makes timely adjustments now instead of taking 40 games and letting Giroux draw stuff up during games?

The Blues don't win a Cup if our version of Berube is running them. You know, the one who couldn't tell Couturier was good.

As for MT, if you're going to have a player like Provorov on PP1 then you shouldn't be trying to generate so very much from there point. It gives his weaknesses every chance to assert themselves. It's a bad coaching decision.

I said last year that Berube can have a long career filling in as coach for teams as they start to tune out their head coach and become undisciplined. The No. 1 characteristic of Berube as a coach, as a man, is that he commands respect. You don't disrespect your coach when he comes in and can still kick everyone's ass. He was effective when he took over the Flyers and got them to the playoffs. He's got a long honeymoon period now after winning the Cup, we'll see how good he is in a year.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I can't imagine complaining about an individual player doing PP sling shot passes in the neutral zone, as if that's unique to him. That's such a standard space creating play by every PP player from juniors to the NHL. There's plenty to critique.....but ummm okay.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
LOL. I was waiting for that comment, & like clockwork there it is.

No one said or implied that PP neutral zone drop passes are unique to Provorov.

The complaint is he overdoes it — there’s rarely any variation: same thing every damn time.

Ghost when he was good would at least mix in fakes.

I guarantee if there was a reliably tracked stat, Provorov would be right near the top of defensemen in NZ drop passes on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->