#55 KINGS lose @ COYOTES, currently down 3-0

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
There's also the inevitability of his decline (which has already begun), and the Kings can't afford to pay that kind of money to a Shawn Horcoff. If he really is injured all the time, that's what he's going to become sooner than later.

Now I really like the guy and in 2012 when this subject came up I rubbished it straight away. But either he needs to be stronger, or we need to get a different player so we remain strong down the middle, which is what this team is supposed to be. A lot of our problems come from a lack of impact at our center position. We need Richards to start making plays. Richards used to be a great PP player, and now he isn't. That's a problem too.

The decline factor is the biggest thing for me when I mention Dean having decisions on both Brown and Richards. I mean I just think of the guy I saw in that playoff run for Philly and then I look at that player four years later in 2014 and it's not even close, it makes you wonder what this player will look like in 2017, 2018 or god help us as a 35 year old in 2020.

Same thing with Brown, both Brown and Richards are not the biggest guys in the world but they spent their prime years playing a very physically demanding style, generally guys like this break down a lot earlier than larger players.

If the Kings keep both these guys and they continue to decline they are going to be doomed from competing for the rest of this decade, I don't care how much the cap goes up or down, $12 million is always going to be a significant part of a teams cap, and if Brown and Richards are taking up that much space and playing as awful (or even worse) than they have this year it's going to impossible to ice a great team.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Always knew I liked you...

Furthermore...

Watching the power play (just loop it)...

YdQzH.gif

Realizing that the power play is only ranked 25!!!

kramer-reaction-seinfield.gif

A Muzzin pinch leads to an odd man rush and then a goal...

3iriy.gif

Quick skates to center ice while shaking his head. He's ready to fight!

kramer-horse-bet-o.gif

Kings can't score on a SEVEN minuter power play...

uPMsTuK.gif

Brown gives me an elbow...

k-man1.gif

Any Kings related notification on my phone...

Ari-Gold-Anger-Throws-Phone-Against-Wall-Entourage.gif

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The PP may be "only" 27th or whatever but over the last little stretch it's like, historically bad.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The decline factor is the biggest thing for me when I mention Dean having decisions on both Brown and Richards. I mean I just think of the guy I saw in that playoff run for Philly and then I look at that player four years later in 2014 and it's not even close, it makes you wonder what this player will look like in 2017, 2018 or god help us as a 35 year old in 2020.

Same thing with Brown, both Brown and Richards are not the biggest guys in the world but they spent their prime years playing a very physically demanding style, generally guys like this break down a lot earlier than larger players.

If the Kings keep both these guys and they continue to decline they are going to be doomed from competing for the rest of this decade, I don't care how much the cap goes up or down, $12 million is always going to be a significant part of a teams cap, and if Brown and Richards are taking up that much space and playing as awful (or even worse) than they have this year it's going to impossible to ice a great team.

So other teams would know all that too. They're not going to give much for two guys with declining skills and big contracts. Even if the Kings have to sell low, especially with Brown, that's ok?

The time to trade both would've been last summer, and Brown before he signed a new contract. Brown didn't have a great playoffs, but had 18 goals in 46 games last year. Richards had 12 in 48, and 12 points in 15 playoff games.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
That stretch of games from late November into December is the only thing keeping this team afloat and likely the only reason the PP isn't the worst in the league.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
So other teams would know all that too. They're not going to give much for two guys with declining skills and big contracts. Even if the Kings have to sell low, especially with Brown, that's ok?

The time to trade both would've been last summer, and Brown before he signed a new contract. Brown didn't have a great playoffs, but had 18 goals in 46 games last year. Richards had 12 in 48, and 12 points in 15 playoff games.

Yes, if Dean decides he needs to move one or both of them, then I am cool with selling low.

Cap space and managing the cap is an extremely important part of running a successful team, and if these players continue declining those contracts are going to be crippling. I'm just having nightmare memories of Ryan Smyth out there in his mid 30's struggling to make it up and down the ice while collecting $6+ million a year because he was a good player 5 years before, I could easily see that happening with 10 and 23.

Also have to consider that both Doughty and Kopitar will hit UFA before Richards and Brown's deals are up.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That stretch of games from late November into December is the only thing keeping this team afloat and likely the only reason the PP isn't the worst in the league.

Sure, but you can just as easily say that this recent stretch of games is the only thing that has put the Kings in the position they're currently in.

Every team is going to have a down time. Even Chicago last year, when they were setting records, was down 3-1 in a playoff series, and one bounce of the puck at the wrong time and all they accomplished either doesn't happen or gets forgotten.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The team obviously needs a coaching change.

The organization has never really put an emphasis on developing the offensive game of its core players, and it's led us to this.

There's more than enough talent here to have a top 15 offense, we need a coach that can get it out of them. As much as I love Sutter, he's no longer the right man for the job.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The team obviously needs a coaching change.

The organization has never really put an emphasis on developing the offensive game of its core players, and it's led us to this.

There's more than enough talent here to have a top 15 offense, we need a coach that can get it out of them. As much as I love Sutter, he's no longer the right man for the job.

You will be making that same post two years from now, when Lombardi hires a Sutter clone....

At some point Players need to respond on the ice, I think Lombardi has made his last coaching hire.

Lombardi is also not going anywhere for another two years.

Lombardi is never going to hire an Offensive minded coach....NEVER.

This is the system Lombardi wants, Sutter is the coach Lombardi wants....

Players will be moved before Sutter is fired.

This Roster...is actually LESS SKILLED than the 2012 team.

WM is older , RR is old, Slava career worse year, Brown career worse year, Mike Richards not scoring GOALS.

I would argue this roster is actually worse than 2012 roster.

KingKopitar11*

Don't know if this was mentioned but the kings need a better second line center. Richards needs to go, we need a left winger, and get rid of one of our old defensive dmen like RR and get someone quick for Doughty.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
If the Kings are insisting on just grinding and doing the same thing but expecting the same results then they need at most someone who is a threat to score from the point. How many people out there that has a shot that can blow a goalie backwards with a shot from the point? 2? 3? Can we get Chara? Shea Weber? Now after that is taken care of now we need someone who makes a living in front of the net. Smyth? Holmqvist? I guess Moulson or Vanek as that may happen. A booming ELITE slapshot will draw defenders to the point hopefully creating space down low or else the slapshot gets on net and the rebound will be punched in with some garbage net presence guy. How else are we going to score?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Don't know if this was mentioned but the kings need a better second line center. Richards needs to go, we need a left winger, and get rid of one of our old defensive dmen like RR and get someone quick for Doughty.

So...

Trade 2nd line center...for a 2nd line center and top six LW.
Trade RR for a top pairing Dman.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, if Dean decides he needs to move one or both of them, then I am cool with selling low.

Cap space and managing the cap is an extremely important part of running a successful team, and if these players continue declining those contracts are going to be crippling. I'm just having nightmare memories of Ryan Smyth out there in his mid 30's struggling to make it up and down the ice while collecting $6+ million a year because he was a good player 5 years before, I could easily see that happening with 10 and 23.

Also have to consider that both Doughty and Kopitar will hit UFA before Richards and Brown's deals are up.

The Kings haven't had much luck with free agents, and there's no Schenn or Simmonds to deal for another Richards. If Brown and Richards are sold low, where are the Kings going?

Carter can move to C, and Toffoli takes a top 6 RW spot. Now you're down yet another LW, not that Brown has done much this year. Vanek coming? Moulson? If they don't? Pearson?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I am having doubts Pearson can even play bottom six minutes in the NHL.

Kid's game is far off for NHL standards.

Pearson is lost in all THREE zones at the NHL level.

The good news is , He is young.

Last edited:

KingKopitar11*

So...

Trade 2nd line center...for a 2nd line center and top six LW.
Trade RR for a top pairing Dman.

A second line center who's play is significantly off and dropping fast.

Acquire a young strong second line center. And top 6 LW.

RR is slow but all of it can be together with the right packages Btw. Let's not act like Richards is going to last much longer.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings haven't had much luck with free agents, and there's no Schenn or Simmonds to deal for another Richards. If Brown and Richards are sold low, where are the Kings going?

Carter can move to C, and Toffoli takes a top 6 RW spot. Now you're down yet another LW, not that Brown has done much this year. Vanek coming? Moulson? If they don't? Pearson?

It gives you options and flexibility, something Dean will struggle with down the road if he has both these contracts on the books. You can slide Carter over to center, or you can bring in a center who looks like he belongs on the 2nd line of an elite team. You have the cap space to sign someone like Vanek or Moulson, heck you could even go with a RW to replace Williams down the road With Richards still here the Kings are basically only looking for a LW.

I think if one of them is gone it's Richards over Brown. For many reasons both on and off the ice.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
At some point Players need to respond on the ice, I think Lombardi has made his last coaching hire.
If all the players are struggling in the same way, it points to a systemic problem.

Lombardi is never going to hire an Offensive minded coach....NEVER.

See Crawford, Marc.

This is the system Lombardi wants, Sutter is the coach Lombardi wants....

Players will be moved before Sutter is fired.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec/02/sports/sp-sutter2

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2