#55 KINGS lose @ COYOTES, currently down 3-0

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My gut feel is that the players are at the stage where they don't believe Sutter's system (if anyone knows what it is) will work anymore and/or they're just tired from all the pounding they give and receive playing under him.

So after the team gets off to the best start in franchise history, all the players choose then to decide that Sutter's system doesn't work?

Kopitar and Williams are scoring more goals per game this year than last year. Carter is still on an almost 40 goal pace over 82 games. King, Nolan, Stoll, Clifford, Lewis, etc, are all on this team to specifically play Sutter's style. Toffoli was putting up almost a point per game in Sutter's system before he went cold.

Are they tired? Because of Sutter's system? Kopitar, Carter, Richards, they're not overly physical players in terms of checking. Some of the other guys on this team are in the NHL only because they're physical players, so their high paying job is to be in shape to play physically.

Boston, St.Louis, they're just as physical as the Kings, and just as defensive. Hitchcock is less of a grinding coach than Sutter? Julien doesn't ask his players to play physical, defensive hockey every night?

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Fatigue is certainly a factor. They're playing an insane # of games in a tight timeframe (and one the road for almost all of them), but that's not an explanation for a lack of scoring.

The scoring drought feeds on itself. I'm sure almost all of the problems at this point are between the ears. "Well, the whole team is slumping so I guess I am too."

Just. Make. It. Stop.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some useful food for thought. I've brought up some of the statistics before but this is just insane and tells me we're just setting up for a burst :)

One of the most important uptakes:

"Over the past 18 games, the Kings have managed to score on just 15 of their 422 shots during 5-on-5 play. That's a shooting percentage of just 3.5 percent, which cannot last unless the Kings have suddenly become the worst shooting team (by a wide margin) in recent NHL history. The Kings are shooting 6.3 percent during 5-on-5 play during the season so far. Every team usually falls somewhere between the 6.5 and 9 percent range over the course of a full season.

Since 2007-08, only one team (the 2012-13 Florida Panthers at 5.94 percent) has finished a season with a percentage lower than 6 percent. This is important, since it shows that this is the type of slump that happens to every team and player every year. While unsustainably high percentages come falling back down at some point, the exact opposite happens to teams that can't seem to buy a goal for long stretches of time. This is why the number of shots a team generates is so important. Over the past 18 games, if the Kings had shot at their season average (which is still only 29th in the league) that would have resulted in an additional 11-12 goals. Considering the Kings have lost seven of those games by one goal you might be looking at an additional one or two wins over that stretch."

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/1/29/5357488/why-cant-the-kings-score

Remember that puck luck we were talking about? Yeah. And sure, some of it is shot quality/fatigue and the like which the article addresses only in passing, but like I said, when you're watching other highlights and seeing teams bounce pucks off feet and in, or the Ducks are bouncing passes off their chests and in, or the Red Wings are bouncing it out of play and in, you know we're going to cash in eventually.

The play as a whole has actually still been trending consistently towards puck possession and we're still one of the best teams in the league at it. Sure we can make some tweaks (most notably carrying the puck in more vs. dumping it, which the above article addresses, and the breakout, and the PP), but there have only been a few games this year where we've really looked bad, i.e. the final score hardly passes the eye test. Even my anti-Kings friends can admit "Jesus Christ you guys were dominating that whole game, how did you lose" on most every occasion.

Results matter. They will come.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fatigue is certainly a factor. They're playing an insane # of games in a tight timeframe (and one the road for almost all of them), but that's not an explanation for a lack of scoring.

The scoring drought feeds on itself. I'm sure almost all of the problems at this point are between the ears. "Well, the whole team is slumping so I guess I am too."

Just. Make. It. Stop.

I agree, but I'd say it sort of is, especially for a defensive club. Less effort to actually go to the net, more on defense. Total assumption on my part, though, but fits the narrative of "ugh, no one is even getting in front."

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The schedule got hard......

I mean every team in the NHL this year, besides the Ducks/Hawks.

Went on some sort of awful slide, even Pitt/Bruins did. The Sharks/Blues have both had slip ups this year.

Like I said, the March/April schedule is Very , VERY favorable to the Kings.

The Kings need to be looking at that, and licking their chops.....

What ANH is doing, is rarely done in the Regular season. They are having a season for the ages.

I wouldn't try and measure the Kings with the Ducks....It's almost like how the Kings went 11-0 on the road in the playoff's....IT doesn't HAPPEN.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

I don't know how a late season trip to the east coast, playing 3 games in 4 nights (@PHI, @WSH, @PIT) is favorable. I would have rather got all the east coast games out of the way within the first 40- 50 games of the season.

We still have the Ducks twice and a roadie to SJ, which even though the Kings won their a few days ago, is a very to tough place to grab a W.

I know we have Calgary a few times but have they not beat us already this year?

I'm sure those teams we will be facing are looking at the schedule and seeing LA on it are thinking the same thing considering the Kings cannot score to save their lives.

In today's NHL I don't think you can find too many winnable games just because of the parody.

AlabamaKingsFan

Jan 29, 2014
There should be a better balance of o and d.it can't be oh well we are a d powerhouse so we can't score.the main goal is winning the cup and unfortunately well balanced team with even average goalies win it most ala chi last year.imo.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I don't get what all the crying is about.....let's get real, going down the stretch, it wouldn't be Kings hockey if A) they weren't fighting for their playoff lives OR B) they were out of the race all together.

Same ****, different year. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So I guess we can bet on a WCF appearance again? :)

Winger23

May 3, 2007

I mean every team in the NHL this year, besides the Ducks/Hawks.

Went on some sort of awful slide, even Pitt/Bruins did. The Sharks/Blues have both had slip ups this year.

The Kings need to be looking at that, and licking their chops.....

What ANH is doing, is rarely done in the Regular season. They are having a season for the ages.

I wouldn't try and measure the Kings with the Ducks....It's almost like how the Kings went 11-0 on the road in the playoff's....IT doesn't HAPPEN.

That's just it. This team has already proven that games against teams they SHOULD win against, they don't. What's been good for them until the last month or so is the Kings lose to teams they should beat, but then just tear it up against teams that are contending. This trip so far they beat St Louis and San Jose for their 2 wins. Then they lay eggs to columbus and phoenix.

The schedule on paper for sure favors them in March, but I wouldn't hold my breath against teams they are "suppose" to beat.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That's just it. This team has already proven that games against teams they SHOULD win against, they don't. What's been good for them until the last month or so is the Kings lose to teams they should beat, but then just tear it up against teams that are contending. This trip so far they beat St Louis and San Jose for their 2 wins. Then they lay eggs to columbus and phoenix.

The schedule on paper for sure favors them in March, but I wouldn't hold my breath against teams they are "suppose" to beat.

The Kings rarely do well in Phoenix. But yeah, the Kings clearly have issues when the games are against teams they should beat. Which is why the season will be determined by what they do against those teams down the stretch.

The current road record rankings of each team the Kings play at home after the Olympics:
Anaheim(2) - 1st
Montreal - 15th
Phoenix(2) - 16th
Carolina - 19th
Winnipeg - 21st
Florida - 23rd
Toronto - 24th
Washington - 27th

The current home rankings of each team the Kings play on the road after the Olympics:
Pittsburgh - 1st
San Jose - 5th
Colorado - 9th
Vancouver - 14th
Washington- 15th
Winnipeg - 20th
Philadelphia - 22nd
Calgary(3) - 28th
Edmonton(2) - 30th

A lot of winnable games there. Those 10 possible points in Calgary and Edmonton might determine the season. Every point they don't get in those 5 games just makes their job that much more difficult.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
T5ywoaE.png

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
It gives you options and flexibility, something Dean will struggle with down the road if he has both these contracts on the books. You can slide Carter over to center, or you can bring in a center who looks like he belongs on the 2nd line of an elite team. You have the cap space to sign someone like Vanek or Moulson, heck you could even go with a RW to replace Williams down the road With Richards still here the Kings are basically only looking for a LW.

I think if one of them is gone it's Richards over Brown. For many reasons both on and off the ice.

Elaborate on this.

Duc620

Mar 17, 2010

Just. Make. It. Stop.

Actually it is. Hockey is a game with a huge amount of variables that are measured in inches. Think of all the shots, all the passes, all the skating each player does. All that needs to happen is for a bunch of guys to lose a half step, a step. Not being able to cover their minutes at full bore. That's what we are watching live on ice.

This is a team with a very very strong culture and identity. They are fighting through a rough spot that is magnified by the number of games in a short period of time with a lot of travel. The problem is not "between their ears". That's a "cruel and unusual" shot at guys who are nearly blown out at the end of their shifts. The Olympic break is going to do wonders for this team.

The reason they are not playing "creative, high speed hockey" is because they are fighting the schedule. They have no recovery time - which is measured in days and not the minutes and hours they are getting - and no real rest. Haven't for a month or more. They have to play simple, slow down, hold the fort hockey right now. And we shouldn't be blasting them or the coaches or Lombardi because of a schedule that is cramped by AE (Staples schedules) the NHL (outdoor games) and the Olympics. We should be applauding them.

Keep the faith! GKG!!

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think it's just cathartic. Because they can't be this bad.

Last 18 games:
5-11-2
3-3-1 at home
2-8-1 on the road

Non-EN/SO goals:
27 GF (1.50)
41 GA (2.28)

11 home GF (1.57)
13 home GA (1.86)

16 road GF (1.45)
28 road GA (2.55)

In the 5 wins:
11 GF (2.20)
4 GA (0.80)

In the 13 losses:
16 GF (1.23)
37 GA (2.85)

0 goals scored - 4 times (0-4, obviously)
1 goal scored - 5 times (2-2-1)
2 goals scored - 6 times (1-4-1)
3+ goals scored - 3 times (2-1)

0 goals against - 2 times (2-0, clearly)
1 goal against - 4 times (2-1-1)
2 goals against - 4 times (1-2-1)
3+ goals against - 8 times (0-8)

The Kings are actually better off when they score only 1 goal rather than 2 goals lately. That's sort of dumb.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Here we go again with the innuendo and rumours- please detail the off-ice reasons Richards and/or Brown should be gone for

I apologize because I truly did word this very poorly, I was not trying to say Richards has off ice issues or anything like that. I was trying to say that I think Brown will be staying for reasons not only on but off the ice, meaning his long tenure as Kings captain and face of the franchise and his work in the community. If Brown were a center and Richards a lw things would probably be different though.

I could honestly care less what players do off the ice, I am more concerned with both guys awful performances on it.

Just remember guys, this is a lot of years and money to two players who have played so poorly this season, both are nearing 30 and contracted to their mid 30's Not saying one or both is for sure gone, but you're crazy if you don't think Lombardi has these contracts on his mind, because if he doesn't move them this summer it's going to be hard to move later on.

Last edited:

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
I apologize because I truly did word this very poorly, I was not trying to say Richards has off ice issues or anything like that. I was trying to say that I think Brown will be staying for reasons not only on but off the ice, meaning his long tenure as Kings captain and face of the franchise and his work in the community.

I could honestly care less what players do off the ice, I am more concerned with both guys awful performances on it.

Again, Richards is a 3rd line center, with this roster, unless Carter is on his line. He's still 3rd on the team in Points per game. I'm disappointed with his play this season overall, but not nearly to the point I'm disappointed with Brown's play. It's not even close.

25 games ago the Kings destroyed Montreal in Montreal and Richards had tied Kopi for the team lead in points...We were all lauding how strong Richards had been despite a slow start...At no time have we been overly complimentary of Brown's play this season, in fact include the last 24 games of last season (playoffs included) and this season, Dustin Brown has shown no consistent signs of anything even remotely insinuating he's the guy we saw in the 2012 Playoffs.

We're talking about a guy who had to have his name floated by the GM in trade rumors prior to the Cup run to get him motivated to play at the level he's capable of. The Captain of a team needs to have his name floated in trade talks to give him the kick in the rear he needs to get going? Please...Then the minute he signs an enormous contract his game goes completely to h3ll. He has no injuries currently (unlike the playoffs) that I'm aware of and now would be the time to sit him if there were.

Sorry guys...I have a Dustin Brown Jersey at home, I've been as big a fan as any, but I'm done defending the guy. He turns it around soon or I think a change of scenery is in order. Or at least a benching.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Again, Richards is a 3rd line center, with this roster, unless Carter is on his line. He's still 3rd on the team in Points per game. I'm disappointed with his play this season overall, but not nearly to the point I'm disappointed with Brown's play. It's not even close.

25 games ago the Kings destroyed Montreal in Montreal and Richards had tied Kopi for the team lead in points...We were all lauding how strong Richards had been despite a slow start...At no time have we been overly complimentary of Brown's play this season, in fact include the last 24 games of last season (playoffs included) and this season, Dustin Brown has shown no consistent signs of anything even remotely insinuating he's the guy we saw in the 2012 Playoffs.

We're talking about a guy who had to have his name floated by the GM in trade rumors prior to the Cup run to get him motivated to play at the level he's capable of. The Captain of a team needs to have his name floated in trade talks to give him the kick in the rear he needs to get going? Please...Then the minute he signs an enormous contract his game goes completely to h3ll. He has no injuries currently (unlike the playoffs) that I'm aware of and now would be the time to sit him if there were.

Sorry guys...I have a Dustin Brown Jersey at home, I've been as big a fan as any, but I'm done defending the guy. He turns it around soon or I think a change of scenery is in order. Or at least a benching.

I don't disagree on Brown, and much like with Richards it's just not the lack of offense, it's the complete collapse of the other aspects of their games. If they were having offensive slumps and still playing like they did in the past, we would call it just that, an offensive slump. But it's way way more.

Brown used to never take games off, he has taken plenty this season, his physical game is not what it once was and Brown will never be mistaken for a Selke winner. Same with Richards, it's one thing if he were still playing physical, or were even an average defensive player, but he is rarely physical and is a disaster defensively.

You are pretty much saying that both Brown and Richards are 3rd line caliber players, and I don't disagree, and Lombardi is watching the same players, and he has to build his roster knowing these guys are going to take up a huge chunk of his cap. I'm telling you, something is going to happen this summer

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
I'm telling you, something is going to happen this summer

I agree...but I'm disappointed in Lombardi too. It's his job to see these issues in advance (to have a crystal ball of sorts). You can never stand still with a team, no matter how much success they've had. Players and coaches are always saying, even after good games, it wasn't perfect, there are always things we have to clean up and work on, keep bad habits for forming, etc.

Well personnel is the same way. Detroit was always tinkering, Chicago was forced to tinker (cap issues) but it worked, They even brought back Versteeg, Boston tinkered (Seguin deal). You never have enough depth, you never have a perfect team and when the guys you've counted on for offense, especially the one's you're paying large percentages of your cap space to, leaving you with very little space, aren't asserting themselves, you find yourself desperate at the time everyone's looking to deal.

Dean's not going to be dealing from a position of strength like Bowman was when he dealt for Versteeg. He's going to be in arguably the worst position of ANY current GM. His team can't score, he's in a win now mode, he has little or no cap space and many of his top $ players are not producing. He's lucky he doesn't have too many injuries right now, or he'd really be in a bind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad