Post-Game Talk: #55| Islanders 3 at FLYERS 1| Thursday, February 9, 2017

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
In the game. Scored a goal too. He is a really solid, smart and highly underrated defenseman. Old, battered, but could teach our young D a thing or two. But there is no way he's signing anywhere else now.
Oh okay. Must be tough for him focusing on hockey right now.

But yeah, he really doesn't seem to age.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Yeah you did.. During Lavis time here in the end, Stevens time here, Hitch time here, before Lidnros got here before 1992.. during Berube time here.

All of this outside of berube is just wrong, lavi was the best at getting them to respond after a goal, hitch was very good at it as well

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
I saw report earlier that he's flying his sons to Montreal. He wasn't currently in a relationship with their mother.
Him and his new wife will be raising the twins in Montreal. At his age I would assume that he'd retire rather then move the family somewhere else. Though Russians seem to be very fond of Florida; he might sign there if he doesn't get a good enough offer from Montreal.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Thought you meant me :laugh:

But yes, losing in a poor environment can be corrosive....but even winning in a poor environment rears its ugly head eventually. You can have a mediocre team with young players and they surprisingly can still prosper and learn long-term. Amazing how the best players get drafted to the worst teams in the NHL and help turn the franchises around, huh? What's more of a winning environment long-term? The 2013-2014 Avalanche or the 2015-2016 Maple Leafs?

The fact is last year was a disaster down in the AHL. The team was horrible for quite a few reasons, but what really made it disastrous was poor coaching on top of it all. You have good coaching, you probably have a good culture. Hexy didn't agree with this assessment, however.

Exactly. We even another perfect example in town right now.

No matter what anyone thinks of the Sixers' approach to team building, Brett Brown insitilled a culture that permeated the whole organization. You even had vets who had personal problems on other teams (Jason Richardson, Thomas Robinson, etc) not only come in and openly praise the culture, but continue to do so after they left. This stuff matters. You're developing hockey skills, but you're also developing young people into adults.

I'm getting a little apprehensive. I've been a fan of almost everything after the Rinaldo extension, but the Phantoms' situation has me worried because it could be a portent for the future with the big club.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Gotta hope the Flyers part with a couple people at the deadline and we can bring up one of Hagg, Sanheim or Morin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
this team is approaching Berube coaching levels of horrific hockey..

this just CANT stay like this...

They are worse than under Berube. The record will be worse than his 2nd year here by seasons end I predict.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is the kind of game that isn't going to improve anyone's mood.
That was terrible.
I don't usually say much about Mason, but if I'm being completely honest, I can't wait until he's gone. You might think "Be careful what you wish for," but I'm over it, and have been for a long time.

Roll in the changes. This is turd. It's exponential turd on a grand scale.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That was terrible.
I don't usually say much about Mason, but if I'm being completely honest, I can't wait until he's gone. You might think "Be careful what you wish for," but I'm over it, and have been for a long time.

He will probably end up thriving elsewhere and we will start another carousel. Thats the sad part.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You're the Yin to my Yang when it comes to Hakstol :laugh:

lol.
tonight was a perfect example of what I have been talking about coaching this team this year. I mean I know Hakstol does things that irritates a ton of people but when your starting goalie gives up 2 soft goals and on one of them Gudas completely loses Chimera on that rush. No coach can stop stuff like that. and stuff like that happens far to often.
My dislike for Hakstol isn't anywhere near your level :laugh:. I don't hate the guy, but I also really don't like him either. so if you want to use the word meh for me right now meh that probably works. But as we have beaten this topic into the ground this teams problems go beyond the entire coaching staff.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I haven't seen the lowlights of the game tonight, but I am going counter-logic and suggesting that the Flyers and Mason flush this season, and resign him for 2 years at a team-friendly rate after the ED. Run Mason-Stolarz next season, with the G in the mix that they sign to expose over Stolarz.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That was terrible.

yeah I think I can agree. Mason is a good dude, and I know he is trying his best. But you know this year is probably really wearing on him. He just doesn't seem to have much confidence right now. It may be best for everyone to trade him or just let him walk.
Maybe go somewhere were there is little to no pressure to win and he can find his game.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Mason was brutal on that third goal.

Ghost and Gudas were both going the their usual right side on the second (although the player may have been free anyway).

Couturier line seems to create relatively more chances. Just can't finish.

More boredom. At least PP1 scored.

I thought Farmer Andy played well. He seems to have confidence. He is playing better. Having said that, he is still in my all-time hated team along with Carle and Randy Jones.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
lol.
tonight was a perfect example of what I have been talking about coaching this team this year. I mean I know Hakstol does things that irritates a ton of people but when your starting goalie gives up 2 soft goals and on one of them Gudas completely loses Chimera on that rush. No coach can stop stuff like that. and stuff like that happens far to often.
My dislike for Hakstol isn't anywhere near your level :laugh:. I don't hate the guy, but I also really don't like him either. so if you want to use the word meh for me right now meh that probably works. But as we have beaten this topic into the ground this teams problems go beyond the entire coaching staff.

The mistakes and poor goaltending cant be blamed on Hak, but the teams all around approach certainly can.

They most definitely look like a team that isnt buying what hes selling.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That was terrible.

It did kinda improve my mood because I realized this is one game closer to this season being over.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The mistakes and poor goaltending cant be blamed on Hak, but the teams all around approach certainly can.

They most definitely look like a team that isnt buying what hes selling.

The thing that bugs me the most is the team-wide inconsistency, which I would normally 100% blame on the coach ...

But then there are all the individual errors constantly throwing wrenches in the gears ...

It's all just ****ing baffling to me.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Mason was brutal on that third goal.

Ghost and Gudas were both going the their usual right side on the second (although the player may have been free anyway).

Couturier line seems to create relatively more chances. Just can't finish.

More boredom. At least PP1 scored.

I thought Farmer Andy played well. He seems to have confidence. He is playing better. Having said that, he is still in my all-time hated team along with Carle and Randy Jones.

the puck carrier was Ghost's man (forgot who it was). Gudas was sliding over and had his eyes on him the whole way and Chimera slid in behind uncontested. That goal was on Gudas and Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad