Post-Game Talk: #55| Islanders 3 at FLYERS 1| Thursday, February 9, 2017

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The mistakes and poor goaltending cant be blamed on Hak, but the teams all around approach certainly can.

They most definitely look like a team that isnt buying what hes selling.

I thought they played well in the first period. Once the Islanders scored on that weak goal to put them up for good it seemed to deflate them. They sure seem like a group that is pretty weak mentally right now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I thought they played well in the first period. Once the Islanders scored on that weak goal to put them up for good it seemed to deflate them. They sure seem like a group that is pretty weak mentally right now.

The exact same thing happened against STL.

It happens all the time.

Its on the players too, but he clearly doesnt push the right buttons and isnt capable of getting them back on their game. It doesnt even seem like he wants to be there (obviously baseless speculation on my part I know).

They are averaging 1.6 GPG in their last 23 games. Wrap your head around that.

flyerstime

Dec 11, 2013
Philly
Was at the game. That cycling the isles did against us in the 2nd period for a good 2 minutes was straight up embarrassing. We looked lost out there tonight. Mason was shaky too. Just another crap game.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
You can't blame the coach when they stopped skating and getting outworked after the first goal. That, and all three of those goals were stoppable.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Haven't read the PGT yet - have there been calls for trading Giroux, Couturier, hiring Julien and Hitchcock yet?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The exact same thing happened against STL.

It happens all the time.

Its on the players too, but he clearly doesnt push the right buttons and isnt capable of getting them back on their game. It doesnt even seem like he wants to be there (obviously baseless speculation on my part I know).

They are averaging 1.6 GPG in their last 23 games. Wrap your head around that.

it is definitely frustrating. this team seems to be willing to push their game when things are going well but as soon as the least little bit of adversity hits them during the game they cant or are not able to fight thru it. that is a coaching issue, but it is also on the players on this team.
when you don't have much scoring depth and lets face it this team doesn't, scoring droughts like that should not be a shock.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
lol oh man that one Mason goal against.

This team has fallen long and hard since Lavi. Yeah roster changes and some key pieces have retired/been traded as well, but the house of cards has imploded.

The problem now is so many variables have changed that it's almost impossible to tell who/what is the issue and where to start the change.

Team is vastly under-performing at this point. Not saying are great but even this team is capable and has played better. Its a complete and utter sandbag of a job by virtually everybody.

The amount of players in the positive influence column that have relocated to the negative influence column is appalling.

When we become the first team in NHL history to be 0-3 in outdoor games AND lose to our bitter rivals I hope Hak waves the white flag, saves the fans some money and just declines to show up for the rest of the year if they are going to produce that product.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Need a fresh start with a new starting goaltender next season.

Offer Mason a 1year 1M extension to be the backup. If he wants more, let him walk.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Ya know... maybe sitting Giroux would send a message to the team, I just have no idea anymore.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It was once again, individual mistakes causing goals.

Screened goalie and allowing JT to shoot from the slot.
Gudas not watching his side of the ice, even though Ghost points to that side to let him know to stay over there.
Mason allows a weak shot along the ice

Streit was poor most of the night. Certainly not a guy you want with an offensive minded D partner. But Streit knows he is a UFA and not getting re-signed. He knows if he gets points, another contract will come his way. So he wants to push the play. But it's the little things like simple keep ins and handling if the puck that is declining with him. It happened with Kimmo as well.

Honestly, it seems like we give up breakaways every game, and often multiple ones in games. I would LOVE to know our breakaway attempts vs given up thus year.

Mason. I have defended him. I expected him to eventually get his **** together because he is too good to be posting a .900 AV% this late in the year. It hasn't happened. Lots of games, we bled high danger chances against which left him out to dry. But then there have been way too many games like tonight where he allows 1-2 bad goals. It kills the team. You can't re-sign either goalie after the year they are both having. Mason is worth a 1 year 2 million dollar prove it contract. He likely moves on to see if he can get behind a better D and post good numbers again. It would not surprise me if he bounces back to a .915+ guy next year and is considered a steal by his new team. Other goalies like Elliot, Bernier, etc...will be on the market for cheap. And they will get backup money. I see us signing 2 guys. One as a split starter, and one for the AHL who can come up when an injury occurs. The one thing we can offer a FA goalie, is a chance to be a #1. Most other teams are after the same guys to be backups. All these guys coming off bad years, our starter should only get 2 million next year. More cap space for other holes I guess. Hell, Bishop has a .907 and plays behind Hedman and Strallman. He too could be looking at a paycut. Offer him 2 years at Mason's cap hit. He might bite. Darling could be guy to take a chance on.

Speaking of bleeding chances, AMac. I have been very critical of him and deservedly so. But the last 2 weeks, he has played much better. He has cut down the bad plays WAY down. When you have games where you don't notice him much, that's a good thing. I will give him praise when he has earned it and he has been much better as of late.

The offense. Well, we lack depth. We all know that....especially with Konecny out. Every line has guys in it who kill the offense. We overpass because no one is a natural shooter. We need like 3-4 guys who actually want to shoot when they get the puck. We only want to shoot when we are against the boards or at the point. We pass up shots from the slot, or miss the net when we do get them.

Most thought we would be a playoff tweener. And that's what we are. But how we got here is certainly different than how I expected. Mason haters have reason to hate, but ignore that Neuvirth has worse SV%. We do seem to score more with Neuvirth in net though. Our D is shaky, and that was expected. MDZ decline has really hurt the team. We got lucky not re-signing him.

Last year, even in loses, we were fun to watch again after the Berube years. This year, it's become painful again. So boring. No emotion. As others have said, we have taken on the personality of the coach. I do think we lack youthful enthusiasm that can get a team going. Fast skating. Big hits. Emotion. We have none of that.

Sorry for the long rant. This team is just so bad to watch. Bad coaching decisions. Bad goaltending. Bad defense. Bad offense. How the hell are we a quick win steak away from being in the playoffs again? I can't imaging how an Avs fan feels.

I just pray Hextall can work his magic and sells off some guys and gets a good return. Under 3 weeks left. I hope to wake up to finally see "Confirmed with link" every morning. Maybe this is the day.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
While some forwards are good possession players in terms of corsi and some are good in possession in terms of cycling to nowhere (PEB line), the only player on this team than can generate chances on their own is Voracek. I also think the most likely player to finish them is Schenn despite his 2 ES goals this season. I want Schenn-Giroux-Voracek back together.

Call up Weal and put him with two defensive wingers, Raffl and Read and hope for some chemistry.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Cousins-Couturier-Simmonds
Raffl-Weal-Read
Filler

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was once again, individual mistakes causing goals.

Screened goalie and allowing JT to shoot from the slot.
Gudas not watching his side of the ice, even though Ghost points to that side to let him know to stay over there.
Mason allows a weak shot along the ice

Streit was poor most of the night. Certainly not a guy you want with an offensive minded D partner. But Streit knows he is a UFA and not getting re-signed. He knows if he gets points, another contract will come his way. So he wants to push the play. But it's the little things like simple keep ins and handling if the puck that is declining with him. It happened with Kimmo as well.

Honestly, it seems like we give up breakaways every game, and often multiple ones in games. I would LOVE to know our breakaway attempts vs given up thus year.

Mason. I have defended him. I expected him to eventually get his **** together because he is too good to be posting a .900 AV% this late in the year. It hasn't happened. Lots of games, we bled high danger chances against which left him out to dry. But then there have been way too many games like tonight where he allows 1-2 bad goals. It kills the team. You can't re-sign either goalie after the year they are both having. Mason is worth a 1 year 2 million dollar prove it contract. He likely moves on to see if he can get behind a better D and post good numbers again. It would not surprise me if he bounces back to a .915+ guy next year and is considered a steal by his new team. Other goalies like Elliot, Bernier, etc...will be on the market for cheap. And they will get backup money. I see us signing 2 guys. One as a split starter, and one for the AHL who can come up when an injury occurs. The one thing we can offer a FA goalie, is a chance to be a #1. Most other teams are after the same guys to be backups. All these guys coming off bad years, our starter should only get 2 million next year. More cap space for other holes I guess. Hell, Bishop has a .907 and plays behind Hedman and Strallman. He too could be looking at a paycut. Offer him 2 years at Mason's cap hit. He might bite. Darling could be guy to take a chance on.

Speaking of bleeding chances, AMac. I have been very critical of him and deservedly so. But the last 2 weeks, he has played much better. He has cut down the bad plays WAY down. When you have games where you don't notice him much, that's a good thing. I will give him praise when he has earned it and he has been much better as of late.

The offense. Well, we lack depth. We all know that....especially with Konecny out. Every line has guys in it who kill the offense. We overpass because no one is a natural shooter. We need like 3-4 guys who actually want to shoot when they get the puck. We only want to shoot when we are against the boards or at the point. We pass up shots from the slot, or miss the net when we do get them.

Most thought we would be a playoff tweener. And that's what we are. But how we got here is certainly different than how I expected. Mason haters have reason to hate, but ignore that Neuvirth has worse SV%. We do seem to score more with Neuvirth in net though. Our D is shaky, and that was expected. MDZ decline has really hurt the team. We got lucky not re-signing him.

Last year, even in loses, we were fun to watch again after the Berube years. This year, it's become painful again. So boring. No emotion. As others have said, we have taken on the personality of the coach. I do think we lack youthful enthusiasm that can get a team going. Fast skating. Big hits. Emotion. We have none of that.

Sorry for the long rant. This team is just so bad to watch. Bad coaching decisions. Bad goaltending. Bad defense. Bad offense. How the hell are we a quick win steak away from being in the playoffs again? I can't imaging how an Avs fan feels.

I just pray Hextall can work his magic and sells off some guys and gets a good return. Under 3 weeks left. I hope to wake up to finally see "Confirmed with link" every morning. Maybe this is the day.

I skipped the game because didn't want to waste my evening, so I really appreciate the reasoned, detailed summary of how this latest loss fits in with the rest of the season.

At the least, every UFA they can get even a 7th for should go. I hate seeing the team in this state, but if it makes Hextall a seller like he was two years ago then some good can come of it. Hopefully, something as good as Coburn + Kimmo for Gudas + Konecny.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Cute to see people have hope Hexy can trade our UFA s still, guys like Streit and Mase will not go if they were free as no playoff contender would even consider them. Neuvy and MdZ are prob our only chances at later picks. Maybe Read ( with retention) or Raffl cold sniff a second, but not likely

Mase I'm betting will be one of the last goalies signed this summer and it is going to be 1 year and less than 2 mill to be a backup to younger starter, but as someone posted above, don't even want him at 1 mill, it's time to move on. It's apparent our only chance for a true number 1 has to come from within.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Just new coaches, that would help

I rarely say anything bad about G ( top 5 fav Flyers ever ), but in big games like last night, Tavares was on another level compared to G and Jake. I personally am convinced it is Raffl tho, when we had the 1-0 lead, G jake and Ghost had a great cycle going until Raffl touched the puck, turned it over, and lead to Streits stupid trip.

Raffl can not be a top 6 winger, hes a good 3rd line winger and an elite 4th line winger.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I skipped the game because didn't want to waste my evening, so I really appreciate the reasoned, detailed summary of how this latest loss fits in with the rest of the season.

At the least, every UFA they can get even a 7th for should go. I hate seeing the team in this state, but if it makes Hextall a seller like he was two years ago then some good can come of it. Hopefully, something as good as Coburn + Kimmo for Gudas + Konecny.

NP.

I hope you at least saw that I gave AMac some props.

I too pray that some foolish GM wants our trash. Get anything we can for them.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
lol oh man that one Mason goal against.
Its a predictable every game thing. One, maybe two shots let in that should have been stopped. Frankly I'm done with him. If Hextall can move him at the TDL to a team like LA which may need a veteran back up, he should do it and bring up Stolarz. Its so disheartening to a team to know that they're playing in front of a sieve. His ability to deflate the team is noticeable. Even though they may lose, they play harder in front of Neuvirth.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its a predictable every game thing. One, maybe two shots let in that should have been stopped. Frankly I'm done with him. If Hextall can move him at the TDL to a team like LA which may need a veteran back up, he should do it and bring up Stolarz. Its so disheartening to a team to know that they're playing in front of a sieve. His ability to deflate the team is noticeable. Even though they may lose, they play harder in front of Neuvirth.

Just as it's disheartening to Mason to play in front of a team that doesn't score or defend well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad