Post-Game Talk: #55| Islanders 3 at FLYERS 1| Thursday, February 9, 2017

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
the puck carrier was Ghost's man (forgot who it was). Gudas was sliding over and had his eyes on him the whole way and Chimera slid in behind uncontested. That goal was on Gudas and Mason.

Actually, I think that was on Voracek, who just gave up on the play.
Voracek and G have been horrible, not just the lack of scoring, but bad defense, bad passes and chintzy stick penalties.

Mason kills this team, down 2-1 (ok, tough save but a good goalie stops the 2nd goal) then he gives up a brutal goal and you could see the team sag. Last year he hid the mediocrity of the team, this year he exposes it.

However, what does anyone act surprised? Hextall has told us this is the reality when he says he won't trade any future assets - in other words, this team is too bad to waste future assets to win games today.

Before people get bent out of shape, this is the sport's cycle, every Philly team but the Flyers hit rock bottom and are on their way back up, and the Flyers are a year behind, this is their bottoming out season, just worse than you'd expect because of G, V and Mason.

Next season I expect at least 7 new faces out of the core 20, Lindblom, Laughton, Leier at least among the forwards, Morin, Sanheim and Hagg on defense, and Stolarz and maybe another goal. And a similar turnover two years from now.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
It was once again, individual mistakes causing goals.

Screened goalie and allowing JT to shoot from the slot.
Gudas not watching his side of the ice, even though Ghost points to that side to let him know to stay over there.
Mason allows a weak shot along the ice

Streit was poor most of the night. Certainly not a guy you want with an offensive minded D partner. But Streit knows he is a UFA and not getting re-signed. He knows if he gets points, another contract will come his way. So he wants to push the play. But it's the little things like simple keep ins and handling if the puck that is declining with him. It happened with Kimmo as well.

Honestly, it seems like we give up breakaways every game, and often multiple ones in games. I would LOVE to know our breakaway attempts vs given up thus year.

Mason. I have defended him. I expected him to eventually get his **** together because he is too good to be posting a .900 AV% this late in the year. It hasn't happened. Lots of games, we bled high danger chances against which left him out to dry. But then there have been way too many games like tonight where he allows 1-2 bad goals. It kills the team. You can't re-sign either goalie after the year they are both having. Mason is worth a 1 year 2 million dollar prove it contract. He likely moves on to see if he can get behind a better D and post good numbers again. It would not surprise me if he bounces back to a .915+ guy next year and is considered a steal by his new team. Other goalies like Elliot, Bernier, etc...will be on the market for cheap. And they will get backup money. I see us signing 2 guys. One as a split starter, and one for the AHL who can come up when an injury occurs. The one thing we can offer a FA goalie, is a chance to be a #1. Most other teams are after the same guys to be backups. All these guys coming off bad years, our starter should only get 2 million next year. More cap space for other holes I guess. Hell, Bishop has a .907 and plays behind Hedman and Strallman. He too could be looking at a paycut. Offer him 2 years at Mason's cap hit. He might bite. Darling could be guy to take a chance on.

Speaking of bleeding chances, AMac. I have been very critical of him and deservedly so. But the last 2 weeks, he has played much better. He has cut down the bad plays WAY down. When you have games where you don't notice him much, that's a good thing. I will give him praise when he has earned it and he has been much better as of late.

The offense. Well, we lack depth. We all know that....especially with Konecny out. Every line has guys in it who kill the offense. We overpass because no one is a natural shooter. We need like 3-4 guys who actually want to shoot when they get the puck. We only want to shoot when we are against the boards or at the point. We pass up shots from the slot, or miss the net when we do get them.

Most thought we would be a playoff tweener. And that's what we are. But how we got here is certainly different than how I expected. Mason haters have reason to hate, but ignore that Neuvirth has worse SV%. We do seem to score more with Neuvirth in net though. Our D is shaky, and that was expected. MDZ decline has really hurt the team. We got lucky not re-signing him.

Last year, even in loses, we were fun to watch again after the Berube years. This year, it's become painful again. So boring. No emotion. As others have said, we have taken on the personality of the coach. I do think we lack youthful enthusiasm that can get a team going. Fast skating. Big hits. Emotion. We have none of that.

Sorry for the long rant. This team is just so bad to watch. Bad coaching decisions. Bad goaltending. Bad defense. Bad offense. How the hell are we a quick win steak away from being in the playoffs again? I can't imaging how an Avs fan feels.

I just pray Hextall can work his magic and sells off some guys and gets a good return. Under 3 weeks left. I hope to wake up to finally see "Confirmed with link" every morning. Maybe this is the day.

Dude, I love your posts. However, it becomes blatantly obvious that you often refuse to put any blame on certain players. I mean how the **** do you write this long rant and the only mentioning of Gostisbehere is a positive one?

I mean what would you have written if it had been AMac instead of Ghost on the third goal against?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Dude, I love your posts. However, it becomes blatantly obvious that you often refuse to put any blame on certain players. I mean how the **** do you write this long rant and the only mentioning of Gostisbehere is a positive one?

I mean what would you have written if it had been AMac instead of Ghost on the third goal against?

I put way more blame on that goal on Mason. Yes Ghost did not strip him of the puck. He pushed him toward the outside to force a sliding puck that Mason could not move 1 foot to stop.

Yes Ghost could have stopped the goal by stopping any shot, but it was a very low percentage shot to allow. Mason blew it.....and he I have defended WAY more this year than Ghost.

And as I said, AMac has been playing much better the last few weeks. I give him props if he earns it. He was giving up multiple chances to opponents every game. That is not happening right now. Good for him. We need better D from everyone especially if he is going against top guys. I think I am right to praise him! and right to rip him when he was awful.

But on that goal, look at the reactions in the GDT:

Absolute dreadful goaltending tonight
Holy **** Mason.
Milbury the prophet.
That was a real weak one
Awful by Mason. Jesus Christ.
Ghost didnt play that 1v1 *great* but that needs to be stopped.
Mason stinking it up
I am so glad Mase is a ufa. Get outta town

Mason was to blame.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Ghost could've done a lot more. But that goal is like 80% on Mason, 9 out of 10 goals make that save.

I know that math doesn't really work out, but I don't care.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I've criticized Ghost, but that's all he can do on that play, force him outside and into a weak shot, that was just awful goalie play.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, this is a delayed rage post.

I fell asleep during this game. Granted, I woke up at 5, usually more of an 8 guy, and I don't sleep well in general. But that game started good, and got bad fast.

The Blah's - someone play, "When the Night Begins to Shine".

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Ghost still can´t do anything wrong for the majority of this board it seems. Kind of unfair that the same people are ******** all over the other d-men though...

I mean Mason should have had that particular shot, no discussion. But Czisikas could fan on the initial shot, still be in possession and shoot from the slot in point blank range. This isn´t the "outside" and he wasn´t "forced" into a weak shot by Ghost, he released a weak shot because it´s Casey freaking Czisikas (or whatever it´s spelled). If Ghost has trouble with Czisikas like this, you can´t really line him up with capable 3rd liners.

Just FYI I´m not in the "sell Ghost for scrap" crowd, but for quite a number of games this season he´s been more than awful.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ghost still can´t do anything wrong for the majority of this board it seems. Kind of unfair that the same people are ******** all over the other d-men though...

I mean Mason should have had that particular shot, no discussion. But Czisikas could fan on the initial shot, still be in possession and shoot from the slot in point blank range. This isn´t the "outside" and he wasn´t "forced" into a weak shot by Ghost, he released a weak shot because it´s Casey freaking Czisikas (or whatever it´s spelled). If Ghost has trouble with Czisikas like this, you can´t really line him up with capable 3rd liners.

Just FYI I´m not in the "sell Ghost for scrap" crowd, but for quite a number of games this season he´s been more than awful.

It sounds like you are creating hypotheticals in your head so you can **** on Ghost for no particular reason. Czisikas didn't get a better shot off because he was covered. By Ghost. It's no more complicated than that.

And to be honest, it's about 200 million times stranger to look for reasons to criticize our sophomore defenseman who led us to the playoffs last season than it is to blindly defend everything he does. Unless you are an ombudsman appointed by the board to be impartial and unbiased. And inaccurate.

And yes, I used the word "sophomore" - College Dave has ruined Captain Dave. FFS.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
This is such a boring team to watch. Every game is such a chore. Is this what it's like to be a Jersey fan?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Actually, I think that was on Voracek, who just gave up on the play.
Voracek and G have been horrible, not just the lack of scoring, but bad defense, bad passes and chintzy stick penalties.

What the. Voracek has 2 stick minors in the last 41 games, both in the same game against Washington a couple of weeks ago.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I said Voracek and Giroux, the latter has plenty of bad stick penalties, the former lackluster defensive play.

The frustrating thing with Voracek is he has the physical skills to be a dominant two way forward, but he never hits anyone (21 hits in 55 games), is often caught napping, and doesn't live up to his talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad