Post-Game Talk: #54| New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders | April 6th | 7:00 PM | F/ L 2-1

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Yup. Taylor Hall was always the perfect fit for this team. The fact Lou chose these guys over him still pisses me off

Not even worth beating this one to death because it sounds like BOS was his choice but still, this trade deserves all the criticism it gets, not just due to the alternatives out there but mainly due to Zajac and Palmieri contributing absolute ZIPPO.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I joined the game in on the 3rd, not sure how they looked early. But it's a fine line of playing out the string and trying, and playing with desperation and trying. Not going to going to overreact to a 2-1 loss playing out the string, I think this team will be there playoff time. But more important, they have to find another line that can score. Trotz doesn't have the right combinations set right now. I am not sure what the answer is, other than keeping the Nelson line together. Palmieri is running out of Centers on the team to play with. The only other combination I can think of is put him with Cizikas and Martin, move Clutterbuck up to the 3rd line.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
So he made a trade to fill a hole on the roster and add center depth and it’s not showing any positive results. It sucks. Should Lou have done nothing? I wouldn’t have.
It's hard to say anything positive but here goes...

The Isles are now like a found lottery ticket. Not expecting much but it ain't over yet. Almost, though.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I joined the game in on the 3rd, not sure how they looked early. But it's a fine line of playing out the string and trying, and playing with desperation and trying. Not going to going to overreact to a 2-1 loss playing out the string, I think this team will be there playoff time. But more important, they have to find another line that can score. Trotz doesn't have the right combinations set right now. I am not sure what the answer is, other than keeping the Nelson line together. Palmieri is running out of Centers on the team to play with. The only other combination I can think of is put him with Cizikas and Martin, move Clutterbuck up to the 3rd line.

They were dreadful from beginning to end. Thats the truth. Palmieri has 23 SOG in 14 games and a 4.3% shooting percentage, he is 12.5% on his career.

I was listening to the Eyes on Isles podcast and those guys said it week ago, at this point you put him next to Barzal and tell him his job is to put pucks on net, thats it, you get the puck, it goes on net.

Reactions: Lek

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The issue is, the hole on the roster was on LW, so he didn't actually fill the hole there was. We got two pegs when all we needed was one round one.
Assuming Hall wasn’t waiving his NTC to come here and it sounds like he was only interested in the Bruins should Lou have done nothing? I was in favor of getting Palmieri, dropping Eberle off the first line and leaving Leo right where he was. Still am.

The problem with the Isles is not that Palmieri is playing badly, I don’t think he is. He is around the net and getting chances. I think the problem is a lot of his teammates are playing poorly. And for Palmieri to come into a new situation when his teammates are not playing well makes it a little harder for him to get some traction.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I must have watched a different game, because even though the timing was off, this was CLEARLY Palmeiri's best offensive game, even though he couldn't get one in the net. If there is a fine lining, I would have Leo back on the LW and keep Barzal and Palmeiri together. They were communicating on the bench and I think it is worth having them back at there another night.

Problem then becomes what to do with Eberle, and I still put him on the second line with Bailey and Nelson; moving Beau back to the third. He was just as hot skating with Pags and Wahlstrom and who knows maybe Jordan will click on the second line.

Komarov/Barzal/Palmeiri
Bailey/Nelson/Eberle
Beau/Pags/Wahlstrom

That is how I would run it the next two games, doesn't hurt....

Of course BT is determined to keep that second line together, even though it really is only Beau doing anything. Nelson has been a ghost and worse Pags hasn't been himself in weeks

Reactions: MJF

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The good news I guess is they sort or control if Boston gets the one seed. If they beat them next week there’s no way they play them in the first round

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is 100% on Lou. Palmieri and Zajac need to sit for the playoffs. I’d rather go to war with Leo and MDC
100%! Careful there TP, you're not leaving any room for the corrupt, biased and inept officials. They must have had a hand in it.

What a riot watching the rats jump ship.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’ll throw another thing out there. The reason Mat Barzal isn’t playing well is Mat Barzal. How many different linemates does he have to skate with until he decides he wants to drive to the net, take a shot and have his line crash for a rebound?

We know Barzal is capable of playing north-south. We saw it earlier this year and he was successful doing it.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Assuming Hall wasn’t waiving his NTC to come here and it sounds like he was only interested in the Bruins should Lou have done nothing? I was in favor of getting Palmieri, dropping Eberle off the first line and leaving Leo right where he was. Still am.

The problem with the Isles is not that Palmieri is playing badly, I don’t think he is. He is around the net and getting chances. I think the problem is a lot of his teammates are playing poorly. And for Palmieri to come into a new situation when his teammates are not playing well makes it a little harder for him to get some traction.

This is going to sound harsh but Palmieri is the kind of guy who needs to score. There are players who justify their roster spot, because when they aren't scoring , they are bringing something else to the game. Whether it be speed, physicality, playmaking ability or penalty killing ability.

I'm not really seeing any of that from him to be frank. He's not particularly fast. He is not finishing checks that make any one think twice and he isn't creating plays. Yes the team as a whole has been playing poorly, but the timeline of this points to the chemistry of the whole group being thrown off drastically when him and Zajac walked on the team.

I was never an advocate for him as a deadline piece, because i've never watched the Devils and said, wow, thats a guy I want on my team. When the deal was made, I thought it was great because historically he was a 25g scorer and it felt like we got a 2 for 1 w/ Zajac.

Well, I have to say, MDC looks better than Palmieri in every game he's played since the trade. What seemed to be a great fit , even through Lous HOF lens, has been, arguably, the worst TDL acquisition.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I still think someone is going to end up fired if they ultimately get swept or lose in 5. I just don’t think it’s Trotz or Lou

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is going to sound harsh but Palmieri is the kind of guy who needs to score. There are players who justify their roster spot, because when they aren't scoring , they are bringing something else to the game. Whether it be speed, physicality, playmaking ability or penalty killing ability.

I'm not really seeing any of that from him to be frank. He's not particularly fast. He is not finishing checks that make any one think twice and he isn't creating plays. Yes the team as a whole has been playing poorly, but the timeline of this points to the chemistry of the whole group being thrown off drastically when him and Zajac walked on the team.

I was never an advocate for him as a deadline piece, because i've never watched the Devils and said, wow, thats a guy I want on my team. When the deal was made, I thought it was great because historically he was a 25g scorer and it felt like we got a 2 for 1 w/ Zajac.

Well, I have to say, MDC looks better than Palmieri in every game he's played since the trade. What seemed to be a great fit , even through Lous HOF lens, has been, arguably, the worst TDL acquisition.
I don’t see that. Palmieri is getting scoring chances and forcing the goalie to make a good save on him every game for the last 8-9 games. Same way Eberle gets snakebit but is always around the net we put up with it because we know he’s capable of scoring. When Eberle starts forcing passes into giveaways and is a zero away from the puck is when we know he’s struggling. I haven’t seen that from Palmieri so I’m good with the way he’s playing.

Reactions: Seph

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The team has lost 3 straight to two of the worst teams in the league heading into the playoffs. Don't sell the shit that they are resting themselves; these are veterans who know they need to play well heading into the playoffs.

Last year they had the buffer of the pause to regroup and recoup, not this year.

I know it's predictable, but I do not see this team escaping the 1st round (hope they prove me wrong, of course). And don't bring out the 'woe is me' rhetoric mockery.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I must have watched a different game, because even though the timing was off, this was CLEARLY Palmeiri's best offensive game, even though he couldn't get one in the net. If there is a fine lining, I would have Leo back on the LW and keep Barzal and Palmeiri together. They were communicating on the bench and I think it is worth having them back at there another night.

Problem then becomes what to do with Eberle, and I still put him on the second line with Bailey and Nelson; moving Beau back to the third. He was just as hot skating with Pags and Wahlstrom and who knows maybe Jordan will click on the second line.

Komarov/Barzal/Palmeiri
Bailey/Nelson/Eberle
Beau/Pags/Wahlstrom

Of course BT is determined to keep that second line together, even though it really is only Beau doing anything. Nelson has been a ghost and worse Pags hasn't been himself in weeks

I don't necessarily disagree...the problem is that speaks volumes as to how bad he's been for us.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I don’t see that. Palmieri is getting scoring chances and forcing the goalie to make a good save on him every game for the last 8-9 games. Same way Eberle gets snakebit but is always around the net we put up with it because we know he’s capable of scoring. When Eberle starts forcing passes into giveaways and is a zero away from the puck is when we know he’s struggling. I haven’t seen that from Palmieri so I’m good with the way he’s playing.

Stats indicate otherwise, he isn't shooting enough and unfortunately, forcing the goalies to make saves won't get us on the board.

If you are content with his play, that's fine, some are. I just think in terms of a typical TDL acquisition (especially that cost a 1st) he leaves much to be desired.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

Komarov/Barzal/Palmeiri
Bailey/Nelson/Eberle
Beau/Pags/Wahlstrom

Pageau is hurt, not sure why he is playing as it’s probably something that won’t necessarily get better in a couple days probably. I’d bet he sits out these two games though as he is not a healthy player right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad