Post-Game Talk: #54| New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders | April 6th | 7:00 PM | F/ L 2-1

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
So you mean to tell me teams send off 1st round picks with the goal of winning a round?
It's almost as if there results between winning one round and winning the cup.

The first was traded to improve the team's chances of going deep in the playoffs. It may not result in a cup this year, but the more chances the GM gives the team of going deep, the more likely they are to win a cup.

Also, the more you win in the playoffs, the more likely you are to attract players that care about winning.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Do you get the feeling that as these games meant not all that much except for home ice advantage in the playoff, the players are just playing to not get hurt? Also when you get an UFA there is always risk that he may not go all out just to ensure that they are healthy enough at the end of season to be able to get resigned? I have seen that before when other UFA players not give it all in the playoff because their mind is more on the contract than winning a cup. Hall's case is a bit different as he had a real bad regular season before he got traded, he need to produce so he can get the team he really want to resign to hand him a good contract. He also played that way all his life, never worry about getting hurt. I knew that he would be super motivated even before the trade.

Also I just think that though Barzy has to play his game a bit different as he still trying to hang on to the puck a bit too long sometimes and end up losing possession. He definitely would benefit play with players who has great ability to find themselves open in the offensive zone. However Barry's defensive system does not call for that kind of quick transition unless the D can keep threading home run passes to the forwards. He and his line mates has to use his common sense better. At times they need to stick to the system but at other times if they sense open ice and goal scoring opportunities they have to just got to go for it. Also please stop shooting into the goalies and get the shot off quicker. Goalies only have so much time to react so the more time you let them response to your shot the less chance you may score on them.

Also I do not think the forwards should try to go through 2 or 3 defenders at the same time unless they can fly and force the D to back up. They need to do co-ordinated attack better and spread themselves apart to get more open ice and better chance to get around the D.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I feel like it’s the opposite. They’re a team that really doesn’t seem great on paper, they’re a result of being greater than the sum of their parts

Just gotta get everyone pulling the same direction. If there’s one coach I trust to get them ready for the playoffs, it’s Trotz.

Rest the troops, especially the 4th line since those are the guys who play the most physical game. Swap in and out some wingers and try like hell to find a spot for Palmieri because they really could use his thus far non-existent scoring ability

I think Cizikas need one game off and need to relax a bit before the playoff. The type of game he played can take quite a toll physically. He needs to be fresh before the playoff start. I would also rest Leddy too.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
well..the day after the game standings update, if we had won out (not that playing like crap is ever a good thing).....
we are in third, tied with the caps - lose in ROW - Cap have game in hand
two ahead of Boston with Boston having a game in hand.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
They'll get a few days off, get rested up, get the funk out of their brains and come out flying. Optimism. I'm gonna try it for a while...

Reactions: buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes. Rentals aren’t a good investment.
A rental is all we were in position to do at the TDL. When Lee comes off LTIR we are committed to his salary as well as the contracts of Eberle, Bailey, Nelson, Pageau, Komarov. Plus having to get ready to sign Pelech, Beauvillier and Cizikas this summer.

Should we lose one of the forwards I mentioned above to expansion then signing Palmieri is something we can go ahead with. Otherwise we would lose the #19 pick (as it stands today) in the first round for a guy we let walk. That would sting but not be a crusher.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Barzal either gets with the program or ... Lou is going to trade him. Barzal hasn't stepped up in Lee's absence the way a superstar is expected to. He's also showing poor leadership skills, by, well, just showing off his skillz. Yeah, he's damn talented, but is he someone you are going to win with? This playoffs will be a big statement for him in how the Isles fare. If he EAs it, then Isles are out quickly and he's going to (and should) take the blame.

2 Goals in 16 games...1 PPG in 53+ games.
Mat Barzal is one of the most frustrating players on our roster. He is not an elite player. I wouldn't rank him as one of the top 10 centers in the league. But he has some elite tools that should make him more productive than 15G-26A-41P. He has an above average shot and he might be one of the top 2 skaters in the league. Unfortunately he is still too undisciplined in his approach to the game. Come contract time that may end up costing him, especially if we have a couple of early playoff exits where Barzal is underperforming. I also agree that I could see Lou move on from Barzal before he has to commit big money to him for not enough of a return. If that happens watch the knives come out on this board.

As long as Mat Barzal appears to be more in love with seam passes, drop passes, pulling the string on a goalie, blowing opponents tires, than moving straight ahead with the puck he will always underperform. Let him find a 3 on 3 league to make pretty plays.

Oh yeah, Barzal in 3 on 3 OTs looks great at eating the clock and not much else. All sizzle no steak.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Mat Barzal is one of the most frustrating players on our roster. He is not an elite player. I wouldn't rank him as one of the top 10 centers in the league. But he has some elite tools that should make him more productive than 15G-26A-41P. He has an above average shot and he might be one of the top 2 skaters in the league. Unfortunately he is still too undisciplined in his approach to the game. Come contract time that may end up costing him, especially if we have a couple of early playoff exits where Barzal is underperforming. I also agree that I could see Lou move on from Barzal before he has to commit big money to him for not enough of a return. If that happens watch the knives come out on this board.

As long as Mat Barzal appears to be more in love with seam passes, drop passes, pulling the string on a goalie, blowing opponents tires, than moving straight ahead with the puck he will always underperform. Let him find a 3 on 3 league to make pretty plays.

Oh yeah, Barzal in 3 on 3 OTs looks great at eating the clock and not much else. All sizzle no steak.

Very hard to disagree with that, he really could be a far better player.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Very hard to disagree with that, he really could be a far better player.
It kills me to say things like this about Barzy but the streakiness and undisciplined play is still going on and we're at the end of Year 4 of his career. He'd better elevate his game to the next level really soon.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

ouch --

a lot of truth there lately though.....

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

We saw that difference with Mackinnon, right?

Albeit a bigger and arguably more skilled from a "shoot first" perspective, but once he started driving the net, he went from borderline meh-bust as a #1OA to top 5 player in the league.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
100%. They rely on being greater than the sum of their parts. A true blue-collar team if there is one
Lee getting hurt throws it off and they just haven’t found it yet since for the most part. This season also is a grind more than any regular season as the divisional setup essentially made all 56 games meaningful. I think they mentally exhaled after clinching, tried to win a game in Buffalo Monday at 50 percent and almost did and once they lost that game the last two have been treated like preseason. I do think they will be ready for Game 1 next week and let’s hope the mental and physical break for some players and next weeks three or four days will help.

scott99

May 13, 2005
It kills me to say things like this about Barzy but the streakiness and undisciplined play is still going on and we're at the end of Year 4 of his career. He'd better elevate his game to the next level really soon.
Unfortunately, this is who he is. He’s not going to all of a sudden become a top 10 NHL player. This is who he is. Good player who flashes greatness, but doesn’t have the drive and hockey IQ to be a great player.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
A rental is all we were in position to do at the TDL. When Lee comes off LTIR we are committed to his salary as well as the contracts of Eberle, Bailey, Nelson, Pageau, Komarov. Plus having to get ready to sign Pelech, Beauvillier and Cizikas this summer.

Should we lose one of the forwards I mentioned above to expansion then signing Palmieri is something we can go ahead with. Otherwise we would lose the #19 pick (as it stands today) in the first round for a guy we let walk. That would sting but not be a crusher.

I don't see why we double down on Palmieri. If we've already lost a 19th OA, why commit precious cap space and years to a guy who is on an eerily similar trajectory to Andrew Ladd? Look at their stat lines and drop off. Committing to Palmieri is a mistake, especially given his play as an Islander.

So much can change between now and then, but I see Palmieri as redundant. He's doesn't bring something unique to this team at all. It was evident this team needed a spark plug, if he was the answer we would've known it by now.

Signing him IF Seattle takes one of the forwards you mentioned is a lateral move at best. There are other UFA options out there , including veteran players that maybe interested in a one or 2 year deal.

Some of the UFAs worth mentioning are Schwartz (LW), Tatar (LW), Granlund (C/LW) , Johansson (C/LW) Staal (C). With a full off-season ahead of us, I think the organization needs to look to sign someone with a strong will to compete AND smarts. The forward group as constructed is not getting it done.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

I think we're lucky that we couldn't sign him long term. I have a lot more faith in Beau and Pageau when we really need a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad