Post-Game Talk: #54| New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders | April 6th | 7:00 PM | F/ L 2-1

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
100%! Careful there TP, you're not leaving any room for the corrupt, biased and inept officials. They must have had a hand in it.

What a riot watching the rats jump ship.
Careful riding such a high horse Duke, you might bump your head on passing airplanes

And who is jumping ship? I bleed blue and Orange and have been here through good times and bad. Since 2011 to be exact, and a fan longer than that.

Are you saying the Palmieri trade was a good one? Lou has been great for this team, but to say the Palmieri trade was anything but an abject disaster to this point is disingenuous at best

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Stats indicate otherwise, he isn't shooting enough and unfortunately, forcing the goalies to make saves won't get us on the board.

If you are content with his play, that's fine, some are. I just think in terms of a typical TDL acquisition (especially that cost a 1st) he leaves much to be desired.
I also have some good friends who are diehard Devils fans and he is super streaky even more drastic that Beau so you got to hope he pots one in game 1 next week and away we go. He also will get to grow his beard back

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Careful riding such a high horse Duke, you might bump your head on passing airplanes

And who is jumping ship? I bleed blue and Orange and have been here through good times and bad. Since 2011 to be exact, and a fan longer than that.

Are you saying the Palmieri trade was a good one? Lou has been great for this team, but to say the Palmieri trade was anything but an abject disaster to this point is disingenuous at best
Disaster is to far, they gave up a bottom of round 1st in what was already a weak draft before COVID decimated junior hockey this year. Lou rolled the dice and it may still pay off, all they need is a few goals in round 1 from Palmieri to make it all worth it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Stats indicate otherwise, he isn't shooting enough and unfortunately, forcing the goalies to make saves won't get us on the board.

If you are content with his play, that's fine, some are. I just think in terms of a typical TDL acquisition (especially that cost a 1st) he leaves much to be desired.
The problem here is as it always is. People are looking for someone to spur Mat Barzal’s production, and it’s not going to happen because Mat Barzal refuses to play the game the way he needs to all the time for us to be successful. He needs to be involved in between the hash marks more, instead of staying on the perimeter and slamming on the brakes. When he stops skating he is a big liability. When he refuses to shoot and prefers to pass he is a big liability.

Mat Barzal is our team’s best player. Now it’s time for him to play like it.

Pageau is hurt, not sure why he is playing as it’s probably something that won’t necessarily get better in a couple days probably. I’d bet he sits out these two games though as he is not a healthy player right now.
Agreed. Pageau looks like he’s playing hurt. Shut him down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tahoeblue

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Disaster is to far, they gave up a bottom of round 1st in what was already a weak draft before COVID decimated junior hockey this year. Lou rolled the dice and it may still pay off, all they need is a few goals in round 1 from Palmieri to make it all worth it.

Do you give up a 1st in any draft though with the ultimate goal of winning a round?

The goal has got to be CUP or bust. The 1st is still an asset, even if we don't use it to select a late rounder in a weak draft. It could be used to shed salary or add to another player.

I'm actually surprised how bad this trade has turned out. The positive is that he is shooting at 3.8% after tonight. For some perspective, the only Islander forward he is tied with, to the decimal point is Leo Komarov.

His career average is 12.5%. If more SOG is not the answer I don't know what is, in 15 games he has 26 SOG. Thats 142 over 82 , without a doubt light by anyones standards for a guy who makes his living off his wrist shot.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I mean, it’s not franchise crushing or anything like that. But at the same time a first is still a valuable commodity. Hell, even if they used that pick to send Ladd to Seattle in return for “future considerations” it still would have brought a lot more value to the franchise than what Palmieri and Zajac have brought

They have been a disaster on the ice, however. Which is moreso what I was getting at than the ramifications of the trade itself. My apologies for not being more clear

And the reason I made sure to include “to this point” is because the book still isn’t closed. I hope they make me eat crow in the playoffs, but just watching the games, it’s hard for me to imagine that the Isles ideal lineup at this point include either of them

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Do you give up a 1st in any draft though with the ultimate goal of winning a round?

The goal has got to be CUP or bust. The 1st is still an asset, even if we don't use it to select a late rounder in a weak draft. It could be used to shed salary or add to another player.

I'm actually surprised how bad this trade has turned out. The positive is that he is shooting at 3.8% after tonight. For some perspective, the only Islander forward he is tied with, to the decimal point is Leo Komarov.

His career average is 12.5%. If more SOG is not the answer I don't know what is, in 15 games he has 26 SOG. Thats 142 over 82 , without a doubt light by anyones standards for a guy who makes his living off his wrist shot.
What I’m saying is playoff goals will make this worth it, they won’t miss the pick.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
What I’m saying is playoff goals will make this worth it, they won’t miss the pick.
From your keyboard to God’s screen.

it’s not that I have a vendetta against either of them. They’ve just been so bad

I would be the first to say I was wrong and beg Uncle Duke for forgiveness if they come back and are integral pieces of a long playoff run

but I’ll never apologize to him for the referees. They are beyond salvation

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

I don't have a problem with the rationale behind the trade. Palms and Zajac *looked like better fits than a Taylor Hall that had struggled for a few years and chose the Sabres on a one year, 7 mil. deal.

I am absolutely surprised that they have made minimal impact, almost shocked. Lou made a safe, solid swing and I love that about him (hope he does it next year too!), yet, it hasn't worked out. Perhaps the value comes in the playoffs?

The problem is with the team, as a collective; Palms and Zajac are just microcosms of the macro.

Reactions: JKP, Seph and MJF

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
No doubt. He needs to start shooting at his career average % or above to make the deal "worth" it
This team may not just be good enough but we will see next week but if they play like they are capable of they can certainly beat the Caps, penguins and bruins. It’s not like those mid 2010s teams that tried but you knew had no shot in those series.

Reactions: MJF

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I don't have a problem with the rationale behind the trade. Palms and Zajac *looked like better fits than a Taylor Hall that had struggled for a few years and chose the Sabres on a one year, 7 mil. deal.

I am absolutely surprised that they have made minimal impact, almost shocked. Lou made a safe, solid swing and I love that about him (hope he does it next year too!), yet, it hasn't worked out. Perhaps the value comes in the playoffs?

The problem is with the team, as a collective; Palms and Zajac are just microcosms of the macro.
I think the issue is that the Isles, more than any other team, are reliant on a system. And if all the players aren’t playing the system to a tee, it all falls apart. It’s a difficult system to get a hang of, even Pageau struggled when he first got here. If Palms and Zajac can’t fit in, then we can’t risk having them in the playoffs sadly

Lee was a big part of that system, and could never truly be replaced. As much as it drives me insane, Leo may be the “answer” on left wing

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I don't know what to say

seems like the team is great on paper, this is clearly some kind of mental thing

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I don't know what to say

seems like the team is great on paper, this is clearly some kind of mental thing
I feel like it’s the opposite. They’re a team that really doesn’t seem great on paper, they’re a result of being greater than the sum of their parts

Just gotta get everyone pulling the same direction. If there’s one coach I trust to get them ready for the playoffs, it’s Trotz.

Rest the troops, especially the 4th line since those are the guys who play the most physical game. Swap in and out some wingers and try like hell to find a spot for Palmieri because they really could use his thus far non-existent scoring ability

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think the issue is that the Isles, more than any other team, are reliant on a system. And if all the players aren’t playing the system to a tee, it all falls apart. It’s a difficult system to get a hang of, even Pageau struggled when he first got here. If Palms and Zajac can’t fit in, then we can’t risk having them in the playoffs sadly

Lee was a big part of that system, and could never truly be replaced. As much as it drives me insane, Leo may be the “answer” on left wing

That's a product of system and lack of talent. The team is predicated on work ethic, details to the system, executing the system, mixed with some talent. Put this system on a team with high-end talent, we wouldn't be having these conversations.

Everyone needs to buy in, *most of the time, 75-100% to be a winning product. That's just not realistic over the course of the season and post-season, though it can happen in terms of winning enough to qualify and 4 rounds. This kind of approach also burns teams out over the course of a grind, mentally and physically. Ted Nolan was notorious for extracting every ounce from mediocre lineups, Trotz is in that mold, but much better.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
That's a product of system and lack of talent. The team is predicated on work ethic, details to the system, executing the system, mixed with some talent. Put this system on a team with high-end talent, we wouldn't be having these conversations.

Everyone needs to buy in, *most of the time, 75-100% to be a winning product. That's just not realistic over the course of the season and post-season, though it can happen in terms of winning enough to qualify and 4 rounds. This kind of approach also burns teams out over the course of a grind, mentally and physically. Ted Nolan was notorious for extracting every ounce from mediocre lineups, Trotz is in that mold, but much better.
100%. They rely on being greater than the sum of their parts. A true blue-collar team if there is one

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
The problem here is as it always is. People are looking for someone to spur Mat Barzal’s production, and it’s not going to happen because Mat Barzal refuses to play the game the way he needs to all the time for us to be successful. He needs to be involved in between the hash marks more, instead of staying on the perimeter and slamming on the brakes. When he stops skating he is a big liability. When he refuses to shoot and prefers to pass he is a big liability.

Well said about MB and it is a huge problem for this club!!!

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Barzal either gets with the program or ... Lou is going to trade him. Barzal hasn't stepped up in Lee's absence the way a superstar is expected to. He's also showing poor leadership skills, by, well, just showing off his skillz. Yeah, he's damn talented, but is he someone you are going to win with? This playoffs will be a big statement for him in how the Isles fare. If he EAs it, then Isles are out quickly and he's going to (and should) take the blame.

2 Goals in 16 games...1 PPG in 53+ games.

Reactions: Strummergas and MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad