#54 KINGS @ SHARKS , beat 'em 1-0

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The lack of offense is a problem but its not due to Sutter or the system.

Its Brown having a career worse year , and Richards not scoirng goals .

And the bottom six not helping out enough ,

That all has nothing to due with Sutter or systems .

Again Coach/system gets too much credit when things are going well, and too much blame for things going bad.

The players are responsible for the play on the ice. Kopitar stepped up tonight.

Brown/Richards need to start putting some goals up. The bottom six needs to help out more , it would be nice of Toffoli goes on a tear in that bottom six . He has before .

During the Kings win streak this season , and scoring 11 straight points , Kopitar/Richards were both at a PPG pace. And Brown was scoring ,the defense was also scoring, Drew was scoring

Your best players have to be your best players , shocking I know.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If you can't see teams have made adjustments the the kings system I don't know what to say. Just little changes would make a big difference, namely getting out of their own zone.

Teams made adjustment in the playoffs in 2012 and last year....

So I think the Kings players are to blame correct ?

Unless you are suggesting that NHL hockey teams just now figured the Kings out who play a system that is older than Sutter and Lombardi.

Guys hockey systems are as old as the game itself . No one in this league plays some sort of system a team hadn't seen in like the past 100 years .

Last edited:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
The current slump In offense is not even a quarter of what this same roster produced over 90 games....

Explain that ......you must have some sort of grand explanation in that great hockey mind of yours .

It doesn't take a "great hockey mind" to see this offensive scheme blows. Kings snapped a losing steak because Quick threw up a shut out. To go along with that the Kings are incapable of playing defense at a high enough level to win a playoff series with 4 goals. So if the Kings aren't going to try to change and improve the offense what is the point of even making the playoffs? They'll get lucky and get another cup? The year the Kings won they were doing something new and surprised other teams. Teams have adapted to the Kings system. Kings now need to adapt to counter those changes. Sutter has shown me nothing over the last month that makes me think he can adapt or motivate his club.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It doesn't take a "great hockey mind" to see this offensive scheme blows. Kings snapped a losing steak because Quick threw up a shut out. To go along with that the Kings are incapable of playing defense at a high enough level to win a playoff series with 4 goals. So if the Kings aren't going to try to change and improve the offense what is the point of even making the playoffs? They'll get lucky and get another cup? The year the Kings won they were doing something new and surprised other teams. Teams have adapted to the Kings system. Kings now need to adapt to counter those changes. Sutter has shown me nothing over the last month that makes me think he can adapt or motivate his club.

Again the Kings play a system that is older than the coach and GM ...you just start watching hockey ?

You can make refrence to the Hawks system and actually date it back to the 1930's

The MTL team use to out pace teams with speed and tempo.

The players are largely to blame for the lack of offense and current slump.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
When 1 player is slumping it is the player.

When 2 players are slumping it is probably the players.

When the whole ****ing team is sucking balls it is the Coach/System.

When the coach plays Trevor 2 for 50 Lewis on the top line, to beat a dead horse, it is the Coach.

When the coach can't see they need more scoring and continue to play guys like Fraser/Lewis instead of getting guys with offensive skill in the line up it is the coach. What the Kings going to lose more games getting Vey/Toffoli experience?

When the lines change every day and multiple times in the game it is the coach.

When Martinez is benched it is the coach.

Brown on the 4th line is the coach.

27th ranked PP. Sutter needs to take charge and fix the ****ing PP even if there is a PP coach.

But the power play doesn't work because the Kings can't do cross ice passes for one timers to get the goalies moving. They can't do this because the Kings system tells them to get a shot from point and crash the net.

.... No you're right all the players are just slumping right now. Things will be fine.

Edit: No way is playing with this system/coach is keeping guys down.

KingKopitar11*

Are you getting all paranoid like Gene Hackman in The Conversation?

I'm not paranoid lol, it's just obvious I do have a target, I remember reading that mods see like some kind of marker that represents the posters infraction history, I'm sure mines blood red lol.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
When 1 player is slumping it is the player.

When 2 players are slumping it is probably the players.

When the whole ****ing team is sucking balls it is the Coach/System.

When the coach plays Trevor 2 for 50 Lewis on the top line, to beat a dead horse, it is the Coach.

When the coach can't see they need more scoring and continue to play guys like Fraser/Lewis instead of getting guys with offensive skill in the line up it is the coach. What the Kings going to lose more games getting Vey/Toffoli experience?

When the lines change every day and multiple times in the game it is the coach.

When Martinez is benched it is the coach.

Brown on the 4th line is the coach.

27th ranked PP. Sutter needs to take charge and fix the ****ing PP even if there is a PP coach.

But the power play doesn't work because the Kings can't do cross ice passes for one timers to get the goalies moving. They can't do this because the Kings system tells them to get a shot from point and crash the net.

.... No you're right all the players are just slumping right now. Things will be fine.

Edit: No way is playing with this system/coach is keeping guys down.

The whole team is not slumping , most of the top six is still on pace for career normal numbers.

Its mostly Brown/Richards that is throwing a huge monkey wrench into the offense. Cause it causes lines to be juggled .

The defense is slightly off pace. Main person being Slava ...
Bottom six needs to pick it up drasticly . hoping having toffoi. Can help them.

The PP is a mystery , cuase Kompon has Chicago at top five. Hmmm that tells me its the players.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
The whole team is not slumping , most of the top six is still on pace for career normal numbers.

Its mostly Brown/Richards that is throwing a huge monkey wrench into the offense. Cause it causes lines to be juggled .

Well then I'm wrong Sutter's doing a great job with a below par line up. Thought these guys had way more potential.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Dwight King is on pace to have a career year , kudos to him.

The whole Lewis with kopitar thing .....
Sutter did the exact same thing in 2012 and 2013 to get Kopitar out of slumps.

He put king and Nolan on his wing in 2012 and 2013 . it makes Kopitar play a simple game .

I doubt Sutter expects those lines to stay together. He wants Kopitar driving the net and shooting. He gets Kopitar to reset his game with grinders on his wings.

Kopitar has looked great last two games. He has a trend of his game getting cute and finesse, as the season wears on .

I would like to see Sutter try the same thing with Richards

King/Richards/Nolan, get Richards back to simple hockey.

Last edited:

KingKopitar11*

That'll get you into hot water with the Kings Mods!!!! :laugh: You can't be saying you like other teams mods better.

deal-with-it61.gif

:naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zack Morris*

What a great game. I drove down to SJ with some old friends, and we had a blast. Great job Kings! Thanks for the tickets Dad!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Our D and Quick were awesome last night. Our Offense was not that bad as they generated a lot of chances. they need to start capitalizing on those changes. Our PP is just plain awful, not even any sustained puck control. Why is it the team has less of an issue gaining control in the offensive zone 5 on 5 than on the PP. They barely got set up on what 5 PP's last night? Brutal.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I have faith that offence *isn't* that much of a problem. After the trade deadline in 2012, this team was #1 in goals scored for the last 20 games of the reg season and then the playoffs. Its just to score goals, they have to be giving the 100% effort that results in the puck never leaving the other zone and makes it seem like they are skating downhill. The problem is you are never going to get that effort in random regular season games. It would explain why they always do better vs good teams than bad teams aswell

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I have faith that offence *isn't* that much of a problem. After the trade deadline in 2012, this team was #1 in goals scored for the last 20 games of the reg season and then the playoffs. Its just to score goals, they have to be giving the 100% effort that results in the puck never leaving the other zone and makes it seem like they are skating downhill. The problem is you are never going to get that effort in random regular season games. It would explain why they always do better vs good teams than bad teams aswell

I am ok with our 5 on 5 offense as they are generating chances. It is our PP that I believe something needs to change.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
does anyone have a pic of how burnt sutter's face was? guess he needed to put some screen on during the outdoor game

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The defense is slightly off pace. Main person being Slava ...
Bottom six needs to pick it up drasticly . hoping having toffoi. Can help them.

The PP is a mystery , cuase Kompon has Chicago at top five. Hmmm that tells me its the players.

Brown had 18 goals in 46 games last year, and Richards 12 in 48, in the same system and with the same coach. This year, Brown has 10 in 53, and Richards 7 in 54. Where are the Kings right now with 13 additional goals?

Even if you take half that, that's 7 goals. Another couple from Voynov and Muzzin, there should be enough to get another couple goals(literally 2, maybe even 3) by now from the combined efforts of Clifford/Fraser/Lewis/Frattin/Stoll, and that's still somewhere between 10-15 more goals.

There is a coach/system reason the Kings don't have 190 goals like Chicago(and a player reason too). There's no coach/system reason why this team doesn't have 10-15 more goals than it currently does, which would bump them up from 23rd in goals scored to about 17th.

The Kings don't need to be an offensive juggernaut. 10 more goals in 54 games is hardly asking for anything close to that. Actually, it's another 13-14 version of Dustin Brown. That's how small of an amount of more goals the Kings need.

Like you said, it's mostly Brown. Richards too, but at least he's 2nd on the team in scoring, so he's doing something. Brown is barely hanging onto 10th, and has twice as many points as Regehr through 54 games.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Yet it was Richards who fumbled away the best scoring chance that line had off that wonderful set-up by Williams.

Again, when factoring in all three zones of play, I think these are the lines the Kings are going to have to roll with. Carter and Kopitar belong together for many reasons. Now it's time for the rest of the players to follow suit.

No one is factoring 3 zones of play...Why? Because the Kings are already, bar-none the best defensive team in the game and in order to get some offense, sometimes you have to sacrifice position and take chances on offense to create quality chances.

Again, Will not win the cup playing this conservatively on offense and in lieu of a "Carter-Level" trade The Kings have to increase offense with what they have. Richards is a 3rd line center without Carter, he's a 2nd line center with him.

I didn't say Richards had a good game last night, he didn't...But I barely noticed Brown at all after the 1st period, he was dangerous with the puck maybe once during the game and at least Richards has 5 points in 5 games (including assists on 2 Carter goals). Those 5 points by Richards are almost 1/3 of Brown's total points FOR THE SEASON!

Richards and Brown are not a fit. Williams and Richards aren't either. Get Richards and Carter back together, Kopi needs to get Williams going again. Brown may be a lost cause.

Duc620

Mar 17, 2010
Matt Greene made a big difference. Took away Sharks time and space. Improved first passes. Improved our attacks into the O zone. Four posts. Solid, solid game. Amazing what a shut down, punishing D can do for a team.

We haven't had any puck luck or ref calls to our benefit all month. This team is a couple of bounces and inches from going on a tear as long as Greene stays healthy. And Lombardi gets us another vet D.

A left wing would be the icing. Sometimes you just get cake.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad