#54 KINGS @ SHARKS , beat 'em 1-0

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Matt Greene made a big difference. Took away Sharks time and space. Improved first passes. Improved our attacks into the O zone. Four posts. Solid, solid game. Amazing what a shut down, punishing D can do for a team.

We haven't had any puck luck or ref calls to our benefit all month. This team is a couple of bounces and inches from going on a tear as long as Greene stays healthy. And Lombardi gets us another vet D.

A left wing would be the icing. Sometimes you just get cake.

Greene was a beast last night. He has yet to show that he can do that consistently this year though without getting hurt anyway

No one is factoring 3 zones of play...Why? Because the Kings are already, bar-none the best defensive team in the game and in order to get some offense, sometimes you have to sacrifice position and take chances on offense to create quality chances.

One thing that became blatantly obvious to me last night was the lack of creativity on the transition. We created numerous turnovers in the neutral zone and at the same time had players open to make a (some what risky) play in the neutral zone and potential create a good opportunity. EVERY single time that happened, the kings player didn't even look at the other player and dumped it in.

Richards and Brown are not a fit. Williams and Richards aren't either. Get Richards and Carter back together, Kopi needs to get Williams going again. Brown may be a lost cause.

I agree. I don't get what Herby's fascination with Carter/Kopitar is. Sure they play well together, everyone plays well with Kopitar and/or Carter. Why would they not play well together? This team was at its best this season and previous seasons when the Brown/Kopi/Williams and ?/Richards/Carter were together. Who gives a **** if Carter and Richards are bad defensively? The Kings are the best defensive team in the league. I think they can stand to give up a few goals if they get the offense going. Right now teams know that if they can shut down Carter/Kopitar, they pretty much have killed the Kings offense.

It is funny that we are all clamoring for offense and some how we want to criticize a players defensive play? It is give and take. Save Carter/Kopitar for the powerplay.

RE: Brown, during the first period he had a great shift where he created two great scoring chances. One was a great pass through the slot which was mishandled (might have been Richards onthat one as well) and another where he got a shot from inside the right circle. I said "that was his best shift in a month" and then he proceeded to disappear for most of the rest of the game.

I'm seriously about ready to strangle Richards. The dude needs to strap some bottle rockets to his skates or something. He looks like he is skating on a treadmill out there and you'd swear he is playing hockey with a ping pong paddle and ball the way he always flubs it. Mr Flub should be his nickname.

Matt Greene made a big difference. Took away Sharks time and space. Improved first passes. Improved our attacks into the O zone. Four posts. Solid, solid game. Amazing what a shut down, punishing D can do for a team.

We haven't had any puck luck or ref calls to our benefit all month. This team is a couple of bounces and inches from going on a tear as long as Greene stays healthy. And Lombardi gets us another vet D.

A left wing would be the icing. Sometimes you just get cake.

Haven't seen you post here in a while.. glad to have you back!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
One thing that became blatantly obvious to me last night was the lack of creativity on the transition. We created numerous turnovers in the neutral zone and at the same time had players open to make a (some what risky) play in the neutral zone and potential create a good opportunity. EVERY single time that happened, the kings player didn't even look at the other player and dumped it in.

I agree. I don't get what Herby's fascination with Carter/Kopitar is. Sure they play well together, everyone plays well with Kopitar and/or Carter. Why would they not play well together? This team was at its best this season and previous seasons when the Brown/Kopi/Williams and ?/Richards/Carter were together. Who gives a **** if Carter and Richards are bad defensively? The Kings are the best defensive team in the league. I think they can stand to give up a few goals if they get the offense going. Right now teams know that if they can shut down Carter/Kopitar, they pretty much have killed the Kings offense.

It is funny that we are all clamoring for offense and some how we want to criticize a players defensive play? It is give and take. Save Carter/Kopitar for the powerplay.

RE: Brown, during the first period he had a great shift where he created two great scoring chances. One was a great pass through the slot which was mishandled (might have been Richards onthat one as well) and another where he got a shot from inside the right circle. I said "that was his best shift in a month" and then he proceeded to disappear for most of the rest of the game.

I'm seriously about ready to strangle Richards. The dude needs to strap some bottle rockets to his skates or something. He looks like he is skating on a treadmill out there and you'd swear he is playing hockey with a ping pong paddle and ball the way he always flubs it. Mr Flub should be his nickname.

Because I PVR'd the game I did not go online or on twitter to find out our line up. Until this shift I thought maybe Brown was a healthy scratch cause I could not notice him. When he drove past the defender I was like hell yes Brown is finally getting it going, he is going to have a great game. but then as you said he disappeared.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brown had 18 goals in 46 games last year, and Richards 12 in 48, in the same system and with the same coach. This year, Brown has 10 in 53, and Richards 7 in 54. Where are the Kings right now with 13 additional goals?

Even if you take half that, that's 7 goals. Another couple from Voynov and Muzzin, there should be enough to get another couple goals(literally 2, maybe even 3) by now from the combined efforts of Clifford/Fraser/Lewis/Frattin/Stoll, and that's still somewhere between 10-15 more goals.

There is a coach/system reason the Kings don't have 190 goals like Chicago(and a player reason too). There's no coach/system reason why this team doesn't have 10-15 more goals than it currently does, which would bump them up from 23rd in goals scored to about 17th.

The Kings don't need to be an offensive juggernaut. 10 more goals in 54 games is hardly asking for anything close to that. Actually, it's another 13-14 version of Dustin Brown. That's how small of an amount of more goals the Kings need.

Like you said, it's mostly Brown. Richards too, but at least he's 2nd on the team in scoring, so he's doing something. Brown is barely hanging onto 10th, and has twice as many points as Regehr through 54 games.

Very well said imo. Those extra goals go a long way when you're on a scoring drought.

Captain Mittens*

Brown had 18 goals in 46 games last year, and Richards 12 in 48, in the same system and with the same coach. This year, Brown has 10 in 53, and Richards 7 in 54. Where are the Kings right now with 13 additional goals?

Even if you take half that, that's 7 goals. Another couple from Voynov and Muzzin, there should be enough to get another couple goals(literally 2, maybe even 3) by now from the combined efforts of Clifford/Fraser/Lewis/Frattin/Stoll, and that's still somewhere between 10-15 more goals.

There is a coach/system reason the Kings don't have 190 goals like Chicago(and a player reason too). There's no coach/system reason why this team doesn't have 10-15 more goals than it currently does, which would bump them up from 23rd in goals scored to about 17th.

The Kings don't need to be an offensive juggernaut. 10 more goals in 54 games is hardly asking for anything close to that. Actually, it's another 13-14 version of Dustin Brown. That's how small of an amount of more goals the Kings need.

Like you said, it's mostly Brown. Richards too, but at least he's 2nd on the team in scoring, so he's doing something. Brown is barely hanging onto 10th, and has twice as many points as Regehr through 54 games.

I think it's pretty clear that I need to start doing steroids to help the team

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Greene was a beast last night. He has yet to show that he can do that consistently this year though without getting hurt anyway

Best game he's played all year. The Kings as a team need to get back to that type of hockey, hard to play against. That seems to be lacking up and down the lineup, the effort isn't there like it used to be. Hopefully this was a "turn the corner" game.

Captain Mittens*

Best game he's played all year. The Kings as a team need to get back to that type of hockey, hard to play against. That seems to be lacking up and down the lineup, the effort isn't there like it used to be. Hopefully this was a "turn the corner" game.

#moralvictory!

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, I think we can agree that Matt Greene had one of his best games as a King since probably the Stanley Cup run. His physicality is always present but he makes very dumb decisions sometimes and takes horrible penalties in situations where he doesn't need to.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
How many game winning goals does Toffoli have? Is it 5? Would the Kings even be in the playoff standings without him?

No. Subtract 10 points.

Better late than never, huh? :laugh:

1Ss4DQk.gif

:laugh:

Captain Mittens*

I have gotten two infractions before and it was awesome! :sarcasm:

I am officially infraction free. I haven't not had an avatar since the cup run.

I am not confirming or denying that this got me in a lot of trouble after game 5 in the first round
canucks_on_fire.jpg

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I really hope this is what we can expect from Matt Greene down the stretch. I thought he made some huge hits that helped keep the Sharks from really getting going.

Duc620

Mar 17, 2010
Haven't seen you post here in a while.. glad to have you back!

thanks, Buddy....

Always enjoy your thoughts as well, I've been keeping up but it wasn't until some posts started hammering away at the Kings team culture and the players and staff who created it, a few weeks ago that I wanted to put some posts up with a different perspective.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Wingels can get ****ed. Never liked him. The Sharks need to keep focusing on whining.

And LOL Leidi J is a Sharks fan.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
And LOL Leidi J is a Sharks fan.

I'm not trying to start anything. I presented it without my own opinions which don't really belong on this board. I just figured since it was a topic of conversation from both sides before the game that some might be interested what was reported on our side. Say or think whatever you want about it...

:dunno:

Captain Mittens*

I'm not trying to start anything. I presented it without my own opinions which don't really belong on this board. I just figured since it was a topic of conversation from both sides before the game that some might be interested what was reported on our side. Say or think whatever you want about it...

:dunno:

Do you agree that Tommy Wingels or Mr Wingels is a name for a cat?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Thanks for sharing, but man, what a propaganda piece. I had no idea the Bay Area media was so myopic:

“I guess he doesn’t want to own up to it,” Wingels said on Tuesday. “There’s many other opportunities, right?”

Brown was booed by the Sharks’ home crowd just about every time he touched the puck in the Kings’ 1-0 win. It was the first time the Kings captain played against San Jose since he tore up rookie Tomas Hertl’s knee on Dec. 19, with a knee-on-knee hit."

:shakehead :facepalm:

so much biased rhetoric in there. This is so similar to the Vancouver papers it's appalling.

(also, I don't even remotely recall those two being next to each other, so some footage would be nice)

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Do you agree that Tommy Wingels or Mr Wingels is a name for a cat?

Not really.

We usually just refer to his as our 3rd grader because seriously, what man continues to go by the name Tommy after the age of like... 14? :laugh: At this point the irony of having a tough hockey player with a child's name is just endearing to the fanbase :D

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2