Prospect Info: 53rd Overall (Round 2) Jack Studnicka (F)

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I watched Studnicka last night in Peterborough. He had a miserable game, unfortunately. He was stuck in a hard matchup against Peterborough's Gallant, who was picked in the 3rd round this year. Gallant was charged with shutting down Stud's line and completely frustrated them. Jack got an assist in the final moments of the second period in the only shift in the game where they got away from the matchup. I'm not sure why Oshawa didn't try to get him away more often.

It was a great pass on the goal. He called for the puck in the corner, immediately got it and found his man in front in a split-second. Other than that, he was struggling to win pucks and generate anything. Had a few turnovers in the neutral zone. Get absolutely rocked once. Took a cheapshot another time and caught a stick in the mouth.

Reactions: bearcountry17

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Pretty good start for his season, leading OHL in points after 5 games.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Named to Team OHL (Canada) versus Russia in the last event prior to naming Team Canada's roster for the World Junior Championships

Dom, prior to this year starting, if I recall correctly you wanted to see Jack improve or show more offensively, kind of be a go to guy (not your words)?, terribly early in the year and his stats show him to be a pt/game player thus far. How have you felt about his game thus far, stats would say you`d be impressed but those stats don`t always tell the tale.

Thanks

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom, prior to this year starting, if I recall correctly you wanted to see Jack improve or show more offensively, kind of be a go to guy (not your words)?, terribly early in the year and his stats show him to be a pt/game player thus far. How have you felt about his game thus far, stats would say you`d be impressed but those stats don`t always tell the tale.

Thanks

You're right, I wanted to see that but, without taking away from his defensive game. Been pretty impressed so far. Just as an example, Oshawa got blown out 12-6 last week by Sarnia. JS23 was just a minus 1. Go figure. I'd still like to see him shoot more. Last time I checked he was scoring on 20% of his shots. When we had him on the podcast, it was a point I purposely brought up with him. But he's still looking pass first. I guess it's okay if you're playing with scorers, but I think he could be a little more selfish.

I think he'll make Team Canada but as a shut down guy and a faceoff guy. He's struggled on the dot lately. He was winning 61% of his draws early on but it's dipped to around 52% now. He'll have to get that back on track

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You're right, I wanted to see that but, without taking away from his defensive game. Been pretty impressed so far. Just as an example, Oshawa got blown out 12-6 last week by Sarnia. JS23 was just a minus 1. Go figure. I'd still like to see him shoot more. Last time I checked he was scoring on 20% of his shots. When we had him on the podcast, it was a point I purposely brought up with him. But he's still looking pass first. I guess it's okay if you're playing with scorers, but I think he could be a little more selfish.

I think he'll make Team Canada but as a shut down guy and a faceoff guy. He's struggled on the dot lately. He was winning 61% of his draws early on but it's dipped to around 52% now. He'll have to get that back on track

Thx Dom, great to hear, look forward to reading about this kid`s progress, something to be said about these kids who make TC who are traditionally looked to for scoring with their clubs but have to accept a different role if they have hopes of cracking the roster, always appreciated when players, amateurs or pro accept new roles for the better of the team

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
What's the official pronunciation?

Stud-nit-ska? Stud-nitch-ka? Or is it anglicized into Stud-nick-a?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
wasn't sure where to ask this, but has there been any update on studnicka's condition
after that nasty spill he took late in the season? it looked awful from the video. maybe
@BruinsNetwork knows?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Stud
Beecher
Frederic
Hall

There's a lot of potential there. We'll see how it pans out. But i like the size, competitiveness, skating, and two way play of this group.

BruinsNetwork

wasn't sure where to ask this, but has there been any update on studnicka's condition
after that nasty spill he took late in the season? it looked awful from the video. maybe
@BruinsNetwork knows?

No news is good news. Spoke about it on the Bruins Diehards podcast a couple days ago actually. I haven’t heard anything specific, but was told by a friend around the team that any injury he “may or may not have” suffered would have been healed by now anyways. Don’t know for sure though, but I’d say he’s okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad