So i just did an invite skate with:

Zach Pochiro (St Louis Blues Prospect)
Evan Zucker
Adam Zucker (Jason's brothers)
Eddie DelGrosso (ECHL)
Chris Francis (ECHL)

A few kids from WHL, BCHL, OHL, USHL

Guess who isn't the goalie he thought he was haha

Humbling isn't it. A long time ago I skated with a Jr A team when I was 18, I thought I was a decent player, couldn't beat a goalie if my life depended on it.

Also a buddy of mine played University in Canada made up of ex WHL ers and JR A players, alot who were drafted. One practise one of the players younger brother came out who was a 2nd rd pick and played in the AHL ( never made it ) and he said it was insane the difference between them and the kid who was nowhere near NHL level.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Humbling isn't it. A long time ago I skated with a Jr A team when I was 18, I thought I was a decent player, couldn't beat a goalie if my life depended on it.

Also a buddy of mine played University in Canada made up of ex WHL ers and JR A players, alot who were drafted. One practise one of the players younger brother came out who was a 2nd rd pick and played in the AHL ( never made it ) and he said it was insane the difference between them and the kid who was nowhere near NHL level.

I played at a VERY high level when i was younger, and I play in the A-Leagues in town, which is a good skate, but to be thrown in where all 5 opposing players are a legit prospect/talent, and mix that in with very little defense, your job is basically to be scored on and to do it with a smile.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
For those who had the pleasure of experiencing the voice of the Flyers Gene Hart back in the day when he was doing play by play.....does anybody recall his WIP sports radio segment Hart on Hockey? I always chuckled bc it sounded like Hard on Hockey...lol. I stay away from Sports radio these days but does Jim Jackson have a segment or does he just come on from time to time (cameo "appearances)? Just curious since back then Hockey was rarely discussed and it was nice to have Gene do his segment. At least today there is satellite radio with NHL radio.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
For those who had the pleasure of experiencing the voice of the Flyers Gene Hart back in the day when he was doing play by play.....does anybody recall his WIP sports radio segment Hart on Hockey? I always chuckled bc it sounded like Hard on Hockey...lol. I stay away from Sports radio these days but does Jim Jackson have a segment or does he just come on from time to time (cameo "appearances)? Just curious since back then Hockey was rarely discussed and it was nice to have Gene do his segment. At least today there is satellite radio with NHL radio.

He calls into the Preston and Steve show (not sports talk) fairly often during the season and they give him ridiculous words to throw into the game broadcast. He always finds a way to do it.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

The hockey is very few and far between. At best, there are about 6 hosts/producers who can intelligently speak about it. Big Daddy (not included) often has on one of the SonsofPenn.com guys (Bill Matz I think) and they briefly talk hockey. The guest-host is full of hot takes, and it'd be interesting if there was enough care to challenge it, but I digress, hockey on radio.

WIP has moved a bit away from hockey, ala e$p!n, since they don't air the games anymore. Cameo's are more likely to happen on 97.5 nowadays.

Passable hosts who don't sound stupid when talking Flyers/hockey (not in order)-
Brian Startare
Glen Macnow
Steve Trevelise
Jason Myrtetus > & Mike Missanelli
Jody McDonald
Steve & Preston (honorary mention because during season they'll bring it up the most and consistently have on guests from the team, analysis is very minimal)

Boucher was a guest of Anthony on the morning show this past season, let's say 2/5 or 1/2 through the season. The Rangers started hot, but then went on a real cold streak. Anthony starts going on and on about King Henrik (unfortunately rightfully so, he's awesome, and handsome, and life isn't fair) and Boucher just kind of dead pans the Rangers are catchable and they haven't been playing so hot lately. I felt embarrassed that Boucher was wasting his time with that group.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hockey is still never discussed. I may need to make an investment in Satellite Radio.

NHL Network Radio on Sirius XM is pretty good...except when Espo (Phil "my fax was broken" Esposito) is on :laugh:

https://www.siriusxm.com/siriusxmnhlnetworkradio/weeklyschedule?p=1283874190399

I have a decent deal for 24 bucks I keep rolling over...I get 5 months out of it and when the time comes where I would auto renew at a higher rate I just play the old game about not needing it etc and they just keep giving me the same deal....annoying but worth the hassle. I just make sure I have the expiration in my calendar so I can call.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The hockey is very few and far between. At best, there are about 6 hosts/producers who can intelligently speak about it. Big Daddy (not included) often has on one of the SonsofPenn.com guys (Bill Matz I think) and they briefly talk hockey. The guest-host is full of hot takes, and it'd be interesting if there was enough care to challenge it, but I digress, hockey on radio.

WIP has moved a bit away from hockey, ala e$p!n, since they don't air the games anymore. Cameo's are more likely to happen on 97.5 nowadays.

Passable hosts who don't sound stupid when talking Flyers/hockey (not in order)-
Brian Startare
Glen Macnow
Steve Trevelise
Jody McDonald
Steve & Preston (honorary mention because during season they'll bring it up the most and consistently have on guests from the team, analysis is very minimal)

Boucher was a guest of Anthony on the morning show this past season, let's say 2/5 or 1/2 through the season. The Rangers started hot, but then went on a real cold streak. Anthony starts going on and on about King Henrik (unfortunately rightfully so, he's awesome, and handsome, and life isn't fair) and Boucher just kind of dead pans the Rangers are catchable and they haven't been playing so hot lately. I felt embarrassed that Boucher was wasting his time with that group.

That is precisely why I stay away from Philly sports talk radio when it comes to the Flyers but don't listen much at all regardless. Used to...

Boosh shouldn't compromise his good name with such riff raff. Jody Mac though I recall being pretty good...don't know these days. I remember a guy back in the day on New York Radio...Rangers fan of course that I would actually listen to b/c he was entertaining and somewhat decent.....however he always would refer to the Flyers as the Philadelphia Cheesesteaks. It was kind of corny...but he would give credit when it was due. I forget the guys name and don't think he is around. He used to be on late...I think I was just desperate for NHL talk back then and he probably sucked. I was in my teens and still hadn't honed my critical thinking skills just yet...lol.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think the last time I heard serious discussions about the Flyers on WIP was in 03 when they were talking about all the young defensemen- Pitkanen, Seidenberg, Woywitka, Vandermeer :laugh:

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
For the sake of it, I forgot Al Morganti. He deserves to be mentioned, but I can't stand Angelo, it's infinite minus points on Al.

When Al hosts, he's decent, totally different character. I don't always agree with what he says hockey wise, but he's intelligent when doing so.

Rob Ellis, while not a puck head, isn't completely out of his element.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
For the sake of it, I forgot Al Morganti. He deserves to be mentioned, but I can't stand Angelo, it's infinite minus points on Al.

When Al hosts, he's decent, totally different character. I don't always agree with what he says hockey wise, but he's intelligent when doing so.

Yeah I don't mind Al either, but when he hosts it's absolutely terrible. He's fine as a second guy, but him hosting makes you want to fall asleep.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah I don't mind Al either, but when he hosts it's absolutely terrible. He's fine as a second guy, but him hosting makes you want to fall asleep.

He's not "Morning Show" material as a host, but his second fiddle shtick is so aloof and dumb I can't stand it.

We agree it's not unreasonable for one to not mind Al, we disagree on his primary hosting chops.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly

I've probably said this before, but one of the biggest problems I have with one of Al's points is that whenever the Flyers lose in a shootout, he'll acknowledge that they have historically been bad at them, but still refer to shootouts as a coin-flip.

Maybe after a couple seasons of poor results in the shootout could you say that, but it's been in place for a decade now and the sample size is big enough to say that it's nowhere near a 50/50 proposition. To other teams it may be a coin-flip, but not to the Flyers.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I've probably said this before, but one of the biggest problems I have with one of Al's points is that whenever the Flyers lose in a shootout, he'll acknowledge that they have historically been bad at them, but still refer to shootouts as a coin-flip.

Maybe after a couple seasons of poor results in the shootout could you say that, but it's been in place for a decade now and the sample size is big enough to say that it's nowhere near a 50/50 proposition. To other teams it may be a coin-flip, but not to the Flyers.

It has been anything but a coin flip for the Flyers...since it was instituted they have categorically been the worst performers among all the teams. The stats prove as much....

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just discovered the German classic rock band 'Can' for the first time

How did it take me 31 years? These guys are awesome!

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Watched the first two episodes and love it so far.

It's like E.T. meets Stephen King

:handclap:

Probably the easiest way to describe it. But it has elements and tropes borrowed from just about every great movie from the 80's. Buts it's done perfectly. An amazing 8 episodes, i dont even think i want them to make more cause theres no way theyll be able to match or beat that first season

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That is precisely why I stay away from Philly sports talk radio when it comes to the Flyers but don't listen much at all regardless. Used to...

Boosh shouldn't compromise his good name with such riff raff. Jody Mac though I recall being pretty good...don't know these days. I remember a guy back in the day on New York Radio...Rangers fan of course that I would actually listen to b/c he was entertaining and somewhat decent.....however he always would refer to the Flyers as the Philadelphia Cheesesteaks. It was kind of corny...but he would give credit when it was due. I forget the guys name and don't think he is around. He used to be on late...I think I was just desperate for NHL talk back then and he probably sucked. I was in my teens and still hadn't honed my critical thinking skills just yet...lol.

You are thinking of NY radio legend Steve "the shmoozer" Sommers. He is basically the only host on WFAN to talk hockey, and he particularly likes to wind up Islander fans. Of the regular hosts him and Tony Paige are the only reason to listen to the station. 98.7 ESPN Radio has Alan Hahn and Rick DiPietro mid day and they try to work hockey into the show when they can. DiPietro is tremendous, him dubbing noted idiot Mike Francessa Gordie Chow and congratulating him on being in the Nathans hot dog eating contest was hilarious.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'm watching Stanger Things as well. Finished episode 3. It certainly has a lot of motiffs from the 80s. Talk of the Russians, scientists in full PPE + breathers, etc. It feels shot at times like ET.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Brian Startare
Glen Macnow
Steve Trevelise
Jody McDonald

I don't think Startare is on the radio anymore. I see him all the time at Clancy's and House of Brews in Washington Twp. He does trivia/quizzo at both places, and runs his own websites Flyerdelphia.com Sixerdelphia Philliedelphia and Eagledelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad