Post-Game Talk: #53 |New York Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres | May 4th | 7:00 | F/SOL 4-3

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I think most of us have watched enough playoff hockey to know, that it’s generally a good thing to go into the playoffs hot
I still think it depends really, it could be looked as opportunity to restart as i think for most part that’s what all teams do. This team is probably better suited for grind it out playoff games anyway. I’m not saying they are winning anything this year but I do believe we will see something closer to what we saw vs Rangers last week come the playoffs.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The way you're talking is as if you're a 10 year old who just had their dog hit by a car. It's not that serious. They're going to have to win some games on the road, it's not an ideal situation but home ice wasn't a guarantee even if they won out.

Just stop. They're 10 points up on the 5th place team and a whopping 5 points separates the first place team from the 4th place team.
And let’s be honest if they can’t win a playoff game on the road they aren’t winning anything anyway.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The way you're talking is as if you're a 10 year old who just had their dog hit by a car. It's not that serious. They're going to have to win some games on the road, it's not an ideal situation but home ice wasn't a guarantee even if they won out.

Just stop. They're 10 points up on the 5th place team and a whopping 5 points separates the first place team from the 4th place team.
The only place this team is going, is golfing. This is a bad team. There is no evidence the last 15 games that this is the same team that gave themselves a lead. The only team THIS team can beat is the Rangers or Flyers. Neither team will be in the playoffs. Keep drinking the Koolaid and wearing your rose colored glasses.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I still think it depends really, it could be looked as opportunity to restart as i think for most part that’s what all teams do. This team is probably better suited for grind it out playoff games anyway. I’m not saying they are winning anything this year but I do believe we will see something closer to what we saw vs Rangers last week come the playoffs.
I still wouldn’t bet against this team. They surprised us the last two playoffs. I want home ice of course, but I also realize it’s unlikely it’s going to happen. If they finish third or fourth it certainly doesn’t matter at this point. The opponents are about the same. They also have beat both the Caps and Pens in the last two playoffs. I don’t want them to lose, but I’m really not worried

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The only place this team is going, is golfing. This is a bad team. There is no evidence the last 15 games that this is the same team that gave themselves a lead. The only team THIS team can beat is the Rangers or Flyers. Neither team will be in the playoffs. Keep drinking the Koolaid and wearing your rose colored glasses.

What Koolaid? Did I say this team was winning the cup?

You know teams have had bad records ending a season and then have won the cup, right?

scott99

May 13, 2005
What Koolaid? Did I say this team was winning the cup?

You know teams have had bad records ending a season and then have won the cup, right?
Name one. I know St Louis started off horrible (last place in the NHL in December I believe), made a coaching change and goalie change, then won the Cup. But I can’t remember a team losing their last 5 games and winning the Cup.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Name one. I know St Louis started off horrible (last place in the NHL in December I believe), made a coaching change and goalie change, then won the Cup. But I can’t remember a team losing their last 5 games and winning the Cup.
Chicago was .500 or worse when they last won. Tampa Bay was 3-7 at the end of last season. There are others as well.

I'll worry when they actually lose the last 5.

Reactions: JKP and danteipp

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Lets see what happens in the playoffs...I believe they are going to put up a fight against whoever they play

I hope so. They turned it around last year. They are pretty experienced now too. Playoffs is a different game anyways.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
To me, goaltenders can get hot or go cold just like relievers/closers in baseball. Sometimes it is a game or two, sometimes it lasts a couple weeks, sometimes it is months or even a full season. You just never know. The best you can do is try to identify the right talent, coach it up and hope they stay healthy.
It seems that by simply existing, a goalie is going to stop 88% of shots. The difference between them is the remaining 5%.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Wow the hot takes are out in full force tonight. I guess im in the minority or people who didnt give a crap about these last 2 games.

I always like to win, and home ice is a big advantage for the Isles, but they were always going to play some mix of the Caps, Penguins or Bruins. In the end, getting everyone healthy, focused and comfortable for the playoffs is equally important too.

Reactions: BrockLobster

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
When Lee went down, I think the Isles serious cup contention (this season) evaporated with his injury.

But I also think there is a LOT to be gained by getting more experience for the young vets (Barzal, Beau, etc.) and prospects like Wahlstrom, Dobson, Sorokin, etc.

Plus there will be even more data to evaluate who stays and who goes in the off season. One thing I hope is that Bolduc (and maybe Holmstrom) are called up to play with the Black Aces, so they can practice with the team.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Dear Islanders,

Go f*** yourselves.

Regards,

Big L
Lol.
The big question is who are the real Islanders?
The team that trounced the Rangers or the team which sleepwalked through the rest of their games over the last six weeks?
It appears the team needs to be fully emotionally invested to perform and can't just get by with a token effort.
Hopefully that means they zero in once playoffs start.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
If we looked as bad, or worse than the previous game against Buffalo, i might be worried. Not to say that i am not concerned as except for the Rags games we have looked tired, both mentally and physically...and we looked all of that as the games progressed the last two nights.

Yes it is always nice to head into the playoffs winning....and pulling into third place would not be a bad thing, nor second and there is no saying that can still not be done. Though, it will be interesting when the season is over and all is said and done if winning out would have gotten us in first, or second. As of today, we would be in third had we had the three points we did not get.

Sooo.....at this point, give some guys some rest, play some guys who have been sitting and see if we can play well and possibly win the last three.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
play some guys that are fresher these next few games Get the collective heads screwed on straight and let's steal game one vrs whomever and dig in! This board and NYI land will rejoice. LGI! Have some faith folks.

Reactions: JKP and scottywiper

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Boys, we lost out on home ice when we dropped 3 to the Caps.

Not getting injured > goals and wins right now IMO.

Reactions: BrockLobster

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Lol.
The big question is who are the real Islanders?
The team that trounced the Rangers or the team which sleepwalked through the rest of their games over the last six weeks?
It appears the team needs to be fully emotionally invested to perform and can't just get by with a token effort.
Hopefully that means they zero in once playoffs start.
No idea who the real islanders are. The teams ahead of them have a stinker every once in a while but they more often than not come out to play every game and play to win. Which is why they are tops in the division and get home ice in the playoffs. Why do the isles seem to have to string together a bunch of stinkers and not seem to want to win the division ever or get home ice? Especially since their road record is awful? :dunno:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If we looked as bad, or worse than the previous game against Buffalo, i might be worried. Not to say that i am not concerned as except for the Rags games we have looked tired, both mentally and physically...and we looked all of that as the games progressed the last two nights.

Yes it is always nice to head into the playoffs winning....and pulling into third place would not be a bad thing, nor second and there is no saying that can still not be done. Though, it will be interesting when the season is over and all is said and done if winning out would have gotten us in first, or second. As of today, we would be in third had we had the three points we did not get.

Sooo.....at this point, give some guys some rest, play some guys who have been sitting and see if we can play well and possibly win the last three.
I thought we looked just as bad last night. If not for their man falling down and giving Clutterbuck the shortie, we're in the same position: down 3-2 late with the goalie pulled.

But these games are more or less meaningless, so I'd rather rest bodies and prep for the playoffs.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I am worried that the moves to address Lee's injury appear to be total busts. I think Leddy and Mayfield, who have been awful, will return to form int he playoffs. But the fact remains that Lee's scoring absence has not been addressed. And it's hard to predict NYI having playoff success knowing that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
At this stage I want them to at least lose one of the final 3, I don't want them going 3-0 and Boston somehow ends up 2 or 3 and they draw them. Just go 1-2 or 0-3 and hope Pitt gets the top spot now that they have to use a backup goalie in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad