Post-Game Talk: #53 |New York Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres | May 4th | 7:00 | F/SOL 4-3

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I'm kinda thinking that this shows what a joke goaltending is these days.

To me, goaltenders can get hot or go cold just like relievers/closers in baseball. Sometimes it is a game or two, sometimes it lasts a couple weeks, sometimes it is months or even a full season. You just never know. The best you can do is try to identify the right talent, coach it up and hope they stay healthy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It’s important that Pulock and Pelech sit down stretch here and the fourth liners need to be sitting to make sure they are ready. Anyone slightly banged up should sit . Let’s see Hickey, Aho, Bellows all get at least one game just in case they are ever needed.
Isles got nothing to gain killing themselves playing out the string. Get a mental rest, rest bumps and bruises, and have trust, this team which has been tremendously successful the past 3 years under Trotz and Lou to be ready for game 1. I keep hearing PDO is catching up with this team since game 10 of Trotz's rein as Islanders coach. 230 games in including playoffs, still on the PDO run. Either the Isles are the luckiest team in the NHL, or they are just a good team. It's going to be a tough first rd opponent whoever they face. You just play to the best of your potential, and see where the chips fall. Win lose, I can live with that result.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I’d heard that a deal was in place but Lou went with the Devils offer once Zajac was included

obv none of us were there, but that’s my understanding based purely on hearsay
Could be and I probably wouldn’t have done either deal and just stood pat and not necessarily giving up on things but just would have rode it out with this group after Lee got hurt. I do think though getting two players was probably better and who knows maybe Zajac plays some sort of role or even Palmieri scores in playoffs.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Isles got nothing to gain killing themselves playing out the string. Get a mental rest, rest bumps and bruises, and have trust, this team which has been tremendously successful the past 3 years under Trotz and Lou to be ready for game 1. I keep hearing PDO is catching up with this team since game 10 of Trotz's rein as Islanders coach. 230 games in including playoffs, still on the PDO run. Either the Isles are the luckiest team in the NHL, or they are just a good team. It's going to be a tough first rd opponent whoever they face. You just play to the best of your potential, and see where the chips fall. Win lose, I can live with that result.
I think nobody wants to admit they are a good team, I don’t know about cup team but they are a good team with the ability to rise to occasion as we saw in bubble and even last week against Rangers where they basically gave us a six period clinic of Barry Trotz hockey. They will be ready for game 1 and we will see if they are good enough.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
It’s important that Pulock and Pelech sit down stretch here and the fourth liners need to be sitting to make sure they are ready. Anyone slightly banged up should sit . Let’s see Hickey, Aho, Bellows all get at least one game just in case they are ever needed.

Agree. Despite what is being said in the this thread these games dont mean much.

Reactions: danteipp

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Remember Lou firing Claude Julien with 3 games left and replacing him with himself?
I remember all the times he fired a coach late in the season. He will not fire Barry Trotz. Not now, not after the playoffs.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Friedman "The Islanders initially chose the Kyle Palmieri/Travis Zajac duo over Hall, but tried again over the weekend."

31 Thoughts: Why Taylor Hall may be more than a rental for Bruins
I’m sure Lou was interested especially if price was dropping but he went with guys he knew and tried again after those acquisitions to put cherry on top but Hall wanted to be in Boston who has cap to sign him and he probably wants to stay their which I’m sure played in the decision.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Greene could use a sit also.

Yes, now is a good time to give Coburn and Hickey some starts.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I’m sure Lou was interested especially if price was dropping but he went with guys he knew and tried again after those acquisitions to put cherry on top but Hall wanted to be in Boston who has cap to sign him and he probably wants to stay their which I’m sure played in the decision.

You will get no argument from me. But the rumor in hockey media was that Lou had a deal in place for Hall and then backed off when Zajac was included. I believe Brendan Burke mentioned this on a broadcast as well.

He then circled back offering a second and a prospect after the first deal was done.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

scott99

May 13, 2005
So you guys honestly feel losing the last 5 games of the season is beneficial to the team going into the playoffs ? A team that is 11-14-2 on the road shouldn’t try to get home ice ?

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
So you guys honestly feel losing the last 5 games of the season is beneficial to the team going into the playoffs ? A team that is 11-14-2 on the road shouldn’t try to get home ice ?

There is nothing in value in losing. Especially to this Buffalo team.

scott99

May 13, 2005
There is nothing of value in losing. Especially to this Buffalo team.
The way people are talking in this thread, they are fine wish sitting everyone and losing the last 5 games of the season.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I think Greene could use a sit also.

Yes, now is a good time to give Coburn and Hickey some starts.
I’m sure he sits at least once too, I’d be curious to see if they even want to take a look at any Bridgeport players especially before expansion(Wotherspoon, Hutton on defense and maybe Bardreau up front especially if any of the 4th liners are rested)

Reactions: MJF

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yeah, those who are trying to spin these last two games, idk. The team needs these points to earn home ice and they need to generate momentum going into the playoffs. I'm glad they got a point, that said, to blow a 3-1 lead after last night's game against the worst team in the league is not acceptable from a team of this caliber.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
The way people are talking in this thread, they are fine wish sitting everyone and losing the last 5 games of the season.

I think most of us have watched enough playoff hockey to know, that it’s generally a good thing to go into the playoffs hot

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think nobody wants to admit they are a good team, I don’t know about cup team but they are a good team with the ability to rise to occasion as we saw in bubble and even last week against Rangers where they basically gave us a six period clinic of Barry Trotz hockey. They will be ready for game 1 and we will see if they are good enough.
How is this team a good team ? They lucked into the playoffs because the Rangers shit the bed. That’s the only reason. Islanders have 7 wins in the last 15 games. Half of those wins were in Shootouts and OT wins.

They are HORRIBLE on the road, excellent at home. You’d think a playoff team would do everything in their power to get home ice. They are the worst playoff team I’ve ever seen.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The way you're talking is as if you're a 10 year old who just had their dog hit by a car. It's not that serious. They're going to have to win some games on the road, it's not an ideal situation but home ice wasn't a guarantee even if they won out.

How is this team a good team ? They lucked into the playoffs because the Rangers shit the bed. That’s the only reason. Islanders have 7 wins in the last 15 games. Half of those wins were in Shootouts and OT wins.

Just stop. They're 10 points up on the 5th place team and a whopping 5 points separates the first place team from the 4th place team.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Dude you are a special kind of person when we don't hear from you for like a year, and every time we do, it's this garbage. So all through your life, you just go about your day watching hockey, but then the Islanders piss you off enough and you say: you know what I should do, go on a board I don't post on anymore and spread my misery to everyone else. That's your thought process. Reflect on that.

And after years of dealing with sad sacks of shit like yourself, I've come to realize that you likely have some deep rooted issue that makes you act like that. If you are having a rough go at life, go talk to someone. But your transparent cry for help tonight is a pathetic display.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad