Post-Game Talk: #53| Kings 1 at Flyers 0 | OT | Saturday, February 4, 2017

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I was at the game yesterday. It was a pretty close game with some spurts of real excitement. Until OT when we put out 4th line/scratchable talent in a 3v3 situation against Kopitar, Doughty, and Carter.

As soon as i saw Manning out there, I could feel their goal coming. What on earth would possess one to play that line in OT??

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I was at the game yesterday. It was a pretty close game with some spurts of real excitement. Until OT when we put out 4th line/scratchable talent in a 3v3 situation against Kopitar, Doughty, and Carter.

As soon as i saw Manning out there, I could feel their goal coming. What on earth would possess one to play that line in OT??

I watched when I got home from work. I thought we played a better game. Neavy kept us in it. Mental mistakes in our zone are killing us. Need to hit the net more, stop with the sniping top corner, or trying too.

I am with you, saw Mandogpig jump over the boards along with the others and knew it was over. Fitting high and wide scored....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They didn't even start OT with Giroux-Voracek-Provorov, which should be automatic.

Raffl on the ice over Weise should also be automatic.

I was obviously there two, in a game between my two favorite teams, I can say with confidence that it was among the top 5 most boring games I had ever been to.

I would also definitely have Gudas on the ice for PP2 over Manning. Or Gudas in any offensive situation. I said that to myself having seen Manning flop around out there on the PP2, and then Gudas stepped on the ice and immediately put a shot on net.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Giroux reminds me a whole lot of Mike Richards. Just stupid impotent flubby bounces off his stick constantly. Just flubbing it all up every single chance he gets.

That OT was severely disappointing on G's part. I'm legitimately starting to hate his guts.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
giphy.gif

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, but I don't blame Manning one bit. He should never have been out there in a 3v3 situation, much less against the best Kings line. That's the first time all season he's been out in OT. You're putting a number 6 D-man in a very tough position.

That one is on the coaching, not him.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Giroux reminds me a whole lot of Mike Richards. Just stupid impotent flubby bounces off his stick constantly. Just flubbing it all up every single chance he gets.

That OT was severely disappointing on G's part. I'm legitimately starting to hate his guts.

Did Cersei force you to say that? Blink once for yes, twice for no.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, but I don't blame Manning one bit. He should never have been out there in a 3v3 situation, much less against the best Kings line. That's the first time all season he's been out in OT. You're putting a number 6 D-man in a very tough position.

Good....good. The hate is starting to flow through the team towards Hakstol.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Christ, even you know your own limits! If only the coach did.

:handclap:

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I never missed a single game, despite living in Sweden. Now I don't even bother to watch.
Incredibly boring team to watch, combined with the stupidity of Hakstol has turned me off completely.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
I think it's really odd that Gudas wouldn't get a shot in OT.

Obviously, Ghost and Provorov would be over him on the OT depth chart, but I think Gudas would do fine 3-on-3.

Even if Hak decides to put out a defensive line in OT for some reason... Gudas should see the ice over MacDonald every time.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
If G and Jake got to play OT vs Manning Weise and Schenn we win also. That's was a Christmas morning gift to the Kings.

You know what they say about "if" right? The Christmas gift was the one point we got for playing another boring game by our players except for Neuvirth Thank goodness Hakstol started him over Mason:sarcasm:

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
This is getting to a point where I honestly might watch the 76ers over the Flyers when they're playing at the same time (provided Embiid is in the lineup). This team is infuriating to watch. There's no real fight minus a few players, the coach makes questionable move after questionable move with no accountability, the goalies are left out to dry 5+ times a game, and this offense is atrocious 5-on-5.

In the past, I've always found people who complain about Giroux to be moronic, but based on his play this season, it's starting to get a bit difficult to defend him. His 5-on-5 play has been subpar at best, in all three zones. I'm really starting to question what he'll look like in a couple of years. Even the stickhandling isn't what it was a couple of seasons ago, which is troubling to me. Hopefully he's just in a rut but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

I fundamentally don't understand the Konecny and Ghost scratchings right now. I'd venture to guess that the team doesn't either and those two players almost certainly do not. I get that Ghost has not been good this year, but you need to allow him to play through it or put him in a more favorable position to get his confidence back, given that he fits directly into the team's future, while Manning, Schultz, Streit, MacDonald and Del Zotto do not. If anything, you're generating a rift between two players who figure heavily into this team's future. Given that they're two of the three newest players on the team, Hakstol is infecting the bridge that the future rookies will be crossing when they come to the league. It's a very bad decision.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
This is getting to a point where I honestly might watch the 76ers over the Flyers when they're playing at the same time (provided Embiid is in the lineup). This team is infuriating to watch. There's no real fight minus a few players, the coach makes questionable move after questionable move with no accountability, the goalies are left out to dry 5+ times a game, and this offense is atrocious 5-on-5.

In the past, I've always found people who complain about Giroux to be moronic, but based on his play this season, it's starting to get a bit difficult to defend him. His 5-on-5 play has been subpar at best, in all three zones. I'm really starting to question what he'll look like in a couple of years. Even the stickhandling isn't what it was a couple of seasons ago, which is troubling to me. Hopefully he's just in a rut but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

I fundamentally don't understand the Konecny and Ghost scratchings right now. I'd venture to guess that the team doesn't either and those two players almost certainly do not. I get that Ghost has not been good this year, but you need to allow him to play through it or put him in a more favorable position to get his confidence back, given that he fits directly into the team's future, while Manning, Schultz, Streit, MacDonald and Del Zotto do not. If anything, you're generating a rift between two players who figure heavily into this team's future. Given that they're two of the three newest players on the team, Hakstol is infecting the bridge that the future rookies will be crossing when they come to the league. It's a very bad decision.

One would think given Hextall's sensible, non-eccentric style he isn't too fond of these decisions either. My guess is they had a talk about it, Hakstol had his reasons, albeit idiotic and Hextall said enough. I doubt we see that happen again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad