Post-Game Talk: #53| Kings 1 at Flyers 0 | OT | Saturday, February 4, 2017

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Is it possible there are internal rifts being created? Is it possible some of the "better players" are tired of his garbage and have stopped responding on some level? While the AHL scrubs listen intently to everything, go balls to the wall in practice and thus rewarded? There's gotta be some nasty psychology going on. At the core, all of these guys love hockey and want nothing more to win but if they don't respect their leader, it will show and the asinine favoritism begins.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Is it possible there are internal rifts being created? Is it possible some of the "better players" are tired of his garbage and have stopped responding on some level? While the AHL scrubs listen intently to everything, go balls to the wall in practice and thus rewarded? There's gotta be some nasty psychology going on. At the core, all of these guys love hockey and want nothing more to win but if they don't respect their leader, it will show and the asinine favoritism begins.

I guess its possible, but those players aren't winning games, and at the end of the day, winning keeps jobs. Hextall won't keep guys around just because they are "yes, men."

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I kind of doubt it. They don't have the demeanor of disgruntled guys, you know what I mean? To me they don't, like on the bench and stuff. The other day during the game, Bundy or someone said that Hakstok was "jovial" outside of games lolz and I was just like "You what now?" But maybe he's the life of the party and everyone loves him. I mean, people liked Sling Blade, and that guy was really stupid. You can never tell with people.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Gudas is treated like a talentless scrub by the coach. not surprised he doesn't get opportunities that manning does instead.

In all fairness it must be said that Manning is a better skater than Gudas which matters a lot in OT.

I'm not even mad about the guys getting opportunities in OT, I'm pissed because better players are not even dressing for the game.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Scratching Konecny makes absolutely no sence whatsoever! Konecny is tied for 5th in points on the Flyers, currently with 22 Pts.
Hakstol scratching Konecny hurts this team and is taking away the best chances for the Flyers to win some hockey games.

With Ghost it's a different story, Ghost has had problems playing defense in his own zone this season and most teams have picked up on Ghost's defensive weaknesses, it's a shame Ghost is no longer waivers exempt or he could have been send to the AHL without having to be sent through waivers to work on his defensive game in the minors, but that's no longer a possibility. Guess Shayne is going to have to work through his problems at practice before Hakstol trusts him enough to put Ghost back into the line up.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Scratching Konecny makes absolutely no sence whatsoever! Konecny is tied for 5th in points on the Flyers, currently with 22 Pts.
Hakstol scratching Konecny hurts this team and is taking away the best chances for the Flyers to win some hockey games.

With Ghost it's a different story, Ghost has had problems playing defense in his own zone this season and most teams have picked up on Ghost's defensive weaknesses, it's a shame Ghost is no longer waivers exempt or he could have been send to the AHL without having to be sent through waivers to work on his defensive game in the minors, but that's no longer a possibility. Guess Shayne is going to have to work through his problems at practice before Hakstol trusts him enough to put Ghost back into the line up.

I get that Ghost is struggling, you know, at this point, I'm perfectly fine admitting it. But it's not like Hakstol has a bunch of useful tools behind him. He's throwing out 4 ****ing trash cans, Ghost on 1 leg is better than those 4.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I get that Ghost is struggling, you know, at this point, I'm perfectly fine admitting it. But it's not like Hakstol has a bunch of useful tools behind him. He's throwing out 4 ****ing trash cans, Ghost on 1 leg is better than those 4.

This is what gets me. I'm a ghost supporter and he has definitely struggled this year no doubt about it. But pretty much the difference is, the defenders that Hakstol continues to put out there aren't struggling. They're just flat out bad at hockey. It's as simple as that.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
This is what gets me. I'm a ghost supporter and he has definitely struggled this year no doubt about it. But pretty much the difference is, the defenders that Hakstol continues to put out there aren't struggling. They're just flat out bad at hockey. It's as simple as that.

^exactly...

if VdV didnt play @ UND 100% hes not on the roster...

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Normally, you simply pair a struggling sophomore with a solid stay-at-home Veteran and let them work it out. Unfortunately, Hextall could not manage to fix this ill constructed defense until now. There is noone on the roster who has size and the defensive skills to bail out Ghost.
This is on Hextall as much as on Hakstol.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Normally, you simply pair a struggling sophomore with a solid stay-at-home Veteran and let them work it out. Unfortunately, Hextall could not manage to fix this ill constructed defense until now. There is noone on the roster who has size and the defensive skills to bail out Ghost.

To state the obvious, Provorov does but then there would be at least one AHL-level defensive pairing that would see ice time.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

I don't think Konecny knows how to play a pro game yet and makes a lot of poor decisions out there. Almost all teenage rookies that aren't on the Provorov level of HIQ get scratched to learn and reset. I have no problem with that. Ghost on the other hand is just going through a bit of a confidence crisis and in my opinion this is where a good coach can really help. I think he needs to be put with the same partner,let him be who he is and just play his way out of it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I agree. Hextall should have addressed the defense via a small move for a solid veteran defensemen. If he doesnt by the deadline I will be very dissapointed in his complacency.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A "solid veteran" dman won't be cheap at the deadline. It's what every team wants.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't expect him to as a Dman before the deadline, but I pray he removes of them. Getting assets for Streit and MDZ helps us in the future....bring up Sanheim and Morin.

We have extra Dmen on the roster and AHL for this very reason. We could also add Friedman as well to LV to help offset taking Sanheim and Morin off the roster.

Get what you can for our UFA's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad