Post-Game Talk: #52 |New York Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres | May 3rd | 7:00 | F/L 4-2

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
That's the definition of playing down to an opponent.

Chance to move up, not good.

I don't buy into the NYR letdown, they simply took the Sabres too lightly and lost a chance at home ice.

Reactions: CupHolders

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Trotz's post game was telling. He admitted he was worried about this game after the last two against the NYR and the team having clinched. I get the natural let down for a game, but they better have a complete 180 tomorrow and put in the work they did in the first 20 for the full 60.

Reactions: JKP and CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
An NHL team suffered an injury to a player. That is shocking.

The excuse that keeps on giving.

I think you misconstrued the satirical point of the post. It wasn’t to suggest that Lee’s absence is a legitimate reason for their performance.

Rather that Lee has often been incorrectly maligned by certain members of this fan base as a poor contract.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
An NHL team suffered an injury to a player. That is shocking.

The excuse that keeps on giving.
What excuses did he make? Lee is an important player on and off the ice for the Islanders. I don't think many would disagree with this. You do not have to a new Islanders fan to know this. I am assuming you are an Islanders fan. Just as Pelech was an important player for the Isles were last year when he was hurt. These are not examples of excuses. They just point to the Isles missing key players. I am sure most Islanders fans are realistic the challenge is bigger when they are without them, but none I have seen have made the excuses you seem to have read, though I know you have said you were a reader and now new poster to the forum.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
As soon as the Sabres broke the shutout streak this game just kept creeping into Capuano era Islanders.

I watched the rest of the game on fast forward because it was obvious they were going to let this one get away.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Disappointing.

I know it's small compensation, but with Vegas giving up six to the Wild last night, we're leading the league in GA/Gm.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
If I remember correctly, last time they clinched during a regular season, they lost the next game to Tavares and the Leafs at the Coli.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
I think you misconstrued the satirical point of the post. It wasn’t to suggest that Lee’s absence is a legitimate reason for their performance.

Rather that Lee has often been incorrectly maligned by certain members of this fan base as a poor contract.
I don't think there was anything satirical about it. That poster has been on about Lee's absence as the reason for anything bad that happens to Isles since the injury occurred. Lee is a fine player and his loss matters, but no matter how many times he says the same thing about what a pivotal player Lee is to this team, all Lee's absence does is highlight this teams inability to overcome injuries in a way that other good teams seem to be able to. I'm tired of hearing about it. Lee is not available to the team and Lou made his moves, in fact has gone all in. Win games. And btw, all of the talk about how losing Lee has affected Barzal says more about Barzal than it does about Lee.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Some may be surprised to know, the only team Buffalo had not beaten in the division prior to tonight was The NY Isles. Not the end of the world.
Yeah. Was going to be tough to go 8-0 against a team. They also were playing for their goalie. Doesn't excuse the let down game the Isles played, but you simply aren't going to win them all. More interested now in the response tonight, that will be more telling.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I don't think there was anything satirical about it. That poster has been on about Lee's absence as the reason for anything bad that happens to Isles since the injury occurred. Lee is a fine player and his loss matters, but no matter how many times he says the same thing about what a pivotal player Lee is to this team, all Lee's absence does is highlight this teams inability to overcome injuries in a way that other good teams seem to be able to. I'm tired of hearing about it. Lee is not available to the team and Lou made his moves, in fact has gone all in. Win games. And btw, all of the talk about how losing Lee has affected Barzal says more about Barzal than it does about Lee.
every year, there are a few teams that have great depth, and can lose a top line forward, without flinching. the Isles are not one of those teams.

yet.... :)

Reactions: ronsatter

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
For those looking to solely offload on the trade:

In our last TWENTY games (since March 22nd):

Cizikas has 1 Goal and 0 Assists
Clutterbuck has 0 Goals and 1 Assist
Martin has 1 Goal and 0 Assists

For $9 million dollars a year . . .

Great, so they hit people and kill some penalties . . . BEST 4th Line in hockey??? :huh:

As a comparison, since March 22nd, Garnet 'Freakin' Hathaway has 2 Goals and 5 Assists and Nick Dowd with 4 Goals and 1 Assist for $2,250,000 combined. 4 extra goals over 20 games is the difference between winning 2 more games or not, or the point differential right now between 1st and 3rd.

Start holding this overpaid, overrated offensive Bermuda Triangle to account.

Last edited:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
ehhhh, looking like we may be playing the caps as a 4th seed. Bring it on. Get these reg season games over with and stay healthy The boys wanted no part of competing last night. I would be shocked Wilson is not suspended and Ovie is banged up and does anyone trust the caps goalies in a playoff series?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I really didn't think they played all that bad for 2 out of the 3 periods. Nelson and Zajac's line were the best and did decently. Leddy had a rough night and Barzal was horrific. Lately it seems when the puck gets away from Barzal early he seems to get frustrated and then checks out. The Cizikas interference call was pretty bad, and then they blew the whistle on the PP that would've ended up in the back of the net.

Not acceptable to cough up a lead like that to Buffalo, but let's see how they respond tonight.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
If Hall was here instead of Palmieri and Zajac and the results were the same everyone would be screaming for Palmieri.

The trade didn't work out, it f***ing sucks. Two solid veteran NHL regulars have amounted to a whole lot of nothing for a (late) 1st round pick.

Whomever's fault it is - Zajac & Palms, Barry's or Lou's who really cares, it just sucks ass.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What do expect people to discuss on an Islanders hockey forum if they can not talk about how Lee's absence means to the team. Surely you should know by now reading posts and now just by starting to post a couple weeks ago on the Isles forum from your layoff from your last post in the TB and Columbus series, 7 months ago, strange an Islanders fan would first post there? That fans have been talking about finding a winger for Barzal since Lee went down. This is what fans talk about, why do you want to shut down discussion on this? This is a viable topic heading into the playoffs. Discussing this is not making excuses. It just points to the challenge The Islanders have this playoffs. Islanders fans are realistic. You don't have to click the topic if you are quote sick of hearing about it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Hall was here instead of Palmieri and Zajac and the results were the same everyone would be screaming for Palmieri.

The trade didn't work out, it f***ing sucks. Two solid veteran NHL regulars have amounted to a whole lot of nothing for a (late) 1st round pick.

Whomever's fault it is - Zajac & Palms, Barry's or Lou's who really cares, it just sucks ass.

Yep. I'm not convinced Hall works as well here as he has in Boston either. He might've, and I wouldn't have been upset if he was here, but Palmieri and Zajac seemed to be a safer route. Right now it hasn't been ideal but until the playoffs are done I'm not judging the trade. They were brought here to help the team get into the playoffs and win in the playoffs. The first part has been accomplished. Let's see how it works out with the second part.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
What we have come to realize is with Barry's team the TWO most important Islanders are not named Mathew.

Anders Lee is monumentally important because he is the only Islander who seems to realize that you might want to get in front of the net when you are in the offensive zone. That was an obvious omission last night for the most part.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau was also sorely missed last night, especially in the later periods when the game was close as we kept losing the key face-offs. Plus, he tends to always be active in games.

Buffalo won almost all of the key face-offs in each zone (outside of neutral) after we went up 2-0. As a matter of fact, in the third period they won 13 of the 21 face-offs including all five of the ones in the offensive zone...

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Looking at this thing in a sober manner, I'd say it was surely just the typical Rangers Letdown Game.

But I just saw the game on tape delay and I am shocked. ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED!

I really dunno what to say about how disappointing it is that this team allowed itself to be the joke of the league against an ECHL guy not only making his NHL debut, but his season debut to boot.

There should have been 60 shots on goal coming from every imaginable angle.

They should have done what Pelech did on his first goal the entire game, every time they were in the offensive zone.

To the net. To the net. To the net.

I just do not understand this team.

ASIDE:
Yet another game in which Palmieri and Zajac (granted, his filling in for Pageau in a game like this is exactly the reason why he's here) have done absolutely nothing to influence the game.

My God - any deadline trade had to provide us with another body who impacts our offensive output. That's the one damn thing it had to do. It needed to provide us with a scorer.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What we have come to realize is with Barry's team the TWO most important Islanders are not named Mathew.

Anders Lee is monumentally important because he is the only Islander who seems to realize that you might want to get in front of the net when you are in the offensive zone. That was an obvious omission last night for the most part.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau was also sorely missed last night, especially in the later periods when the game was close as we kept losing the key face-offs. Plus, he tends to always be active in games.

Buffalo won almost all of the key face-offs in each zone (outside of neutral) after we went up 2-0. As a matter of fact, in the third period they won 13 of the 21 face-offs including all five of the ones in the offensive zone...

Which I don't understand.

You aren't supposed to go into those face-offs looking to win them cleanly. You just need to tie up the opponent and make sure that puck dies right in that face-off circle.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

Lee is like the Rangers, cleans up against scrubs.

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
What do expect people to discuss on an Islanders hockey forum if they can not talk about how Lee's absence means to the team. Surely you should know by now reading posts and now just by starting to post a couple weeks ago on the Isles forum from your layoff from your last post in the TB and Columbus series, 7 months ago, strange an Islanders fan would first post there? That fans have been talking about finding a winger for Barzal since Lee went down. This is what fans talk about, why do you want to shut down discussion on this? This is a viable topic heading into the playoffs. Discussing this is not making excuses. It just points to the challenge The Islanders have this playoffs. Islanders fans are realistic. You don't have to click the topic if you are quote sick of hearing about it.
Lee is gone for this season and he isn't coming back. Speculating about what might be if he were still playing is pointless. Lee is a good player and it's a loss, but the weighting given by many to Lee's departure is out of balance with his actual production, particularly against teams not from Buffalo. Let's deal with the reality before us, not pine for what might be otherwise.

And I admire TB as a franchise and really enjoy watching them play and sometimes even comment on it. If that offends you, that's your problem, not mine.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I made this point the year Lee scored 40. When you look at his entire 40 goal's that season, he was a creation of himself, and not the one that people referred to. Won't mention that player's nane. He is vastly underrated even to this franchise. 7M per was a discount IMO, and at worst fair for a player that is great in the community, a leader on and off the ice, and a damn pretty productive and good player. I recall so many key moments he had last playoffs, the fight, the set up of Eberle's OT goal. The goals. Always well spoken to. When Bailey said he was the heart beat of the Isles, I think he was correct. Since he is usually healthy it is strange not having him there on Barzal's wing. Barzal's play has dropped, I think it is more in his head of having Lee there, rather than a player's talent. Sure they miss Lee's net presence, but maybe more of what he says, how he leads on and off the ice. Isles have the character to overcome the loss. They will have to.

Reactions: mm11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad