Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well we've never drafted one in the first four rounds of the draft before, so perhaps we shouldn't count our chickens. These three seem like they'll all come.

Not sure what makes you say that, but it has been the higher end talent that has been more of a problem.

Coming to NA is only the beginning. We have seen cases of Russian players playing 2-3 years in the NHL, then going back to the KHL for several years before finally returning later in their careers. Panarin might be an example of another issue (can't say for certain). But he just went to UFA as quickly as possible and signed in NYC, despite his original team offering him similar money.

They play by their own set of rules, as they are entitled to. Taken all together, it adds up to significant issues, especially for the smaller market teams.

But a pattern doesn't have to apply to all of them. We will see how these 3 turn out.

Reactions: libertarian

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is Trouba Russian? ;)

Some players from any location can present problems. It is more common with Russians.

The competing league in Trouba's home country is the same league.

This isn't racial, or ethnic. It is about Russians have a relatively attractive option in their home country, in their native language, etc.

Reactions: Huffer

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Some players from any location can present problems. It is more common with Russians.

This isn't racial, or ethnic. It is about Russians have a relatively attractive option in their home country, in their native language, etc.

I like that Chibrikov already knows more English than Burmistrov ever did.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Really looking forward to watching him at the WJHC. Absolutely love this pick!!

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-25_10-37-3.jpeg
    upload_2021-7-25_10-37-3.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 10

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not sure what makes you say that, but it has been the higher end talent that has been more of a problem.

Coming to NA is only the beginning. We have seen cases of Russian players playing 2-3 years in the NHL, then going back to the KHL for several years before finally returning later in their careers. Panarin might be an example of another issue (can't say for certain). But he just went to UFA as quickly as possible and signed in NYC, despite his original team offering him similar money.

They play by their own set of rules, as they are entitled to. Taken all together, it adds up to significant issues, especially for the smaller market teams.

But a pattern doesn't have to apply to all of them. We will see how these 3 turn out.

Panarin was different because he went undrafted. He tore up the KHL and was a heavily sought after free agent. Signed with Chicago and was traded to Columbus. He went to UFA because of his age. He came over at 23-24 and signed a 2 year extension with Chicago after his 2 year ELC. He was traded to Columbus shortly after. He didn't do what several NHLers are doing, signing to UFA and moving on. I don't think it's fair to criticize him for that when it's a common thing, and he didn't get his extension from Columbus anyway.

The only case of going back to the KHL and then returning has really been Kovalchuk. I can't think of another high profile Russian that did that. Jagr did it maybe? But he's not Russian.

Reactions: kellhunter

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Panarin was different because he went undrafted. He tore up the KHL and was a heavily sought after free agent. Signed with Chicago and was traded to Columbus. He went to UFA because of his age. He came over at 23-24 and signed a 2 year extension with Chicago after his 2 year ELC. He was traded to Columbus shortly after. He didn't do what several NHLers are doing, signing to UFA and moving on. I don't think it's fair to criticize him for that when it's a common thing, and he didn't get his extension from Columbus anyway.

The only case of going back to the KHL and then returning has really been Kovalchuk. I can't think of another high profile Russian that did that. Jagr did it maybe? But he's not Russian.

Panarin still got to UFA as quickly as possible and then headed for the biggest city he could find.

How many cases do you need?

Then there are the ones who stay in the KHL for 5 years after being drafted. Not 2 years, 5.

Not all Russian players are problems. But quite a few have been. Maybe some of them were never good enough for the NHL. Or maybe the KHL is not a development league and they could have made the NHL if they would have allowed their teams to develop them. It is just an added risk to an already risky situation. Why take the chance?

In this case the answer to that would be that we got a couple of overlooked players who project above where we drafted them. Fair enough. Worth the risk. We will see how well they turn out. But I would still shy away from Russians, all other things being equal.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Panarin still got to UFA as quickly as possible and then headed for the biggest city he could find.

How many cases do you need?

Then there are the ones who stay in the KHL for 5 years after being drafted. Not 2 years, 5.

Not all Russian players are problems. But quite a few have been. Maybe some of them were never good enough for the NHL. Or maybe the KHL is not a development league and they could have made the NHL if they would have allowed their teams to develop them. It is just an added risk to an already risky situation. Why take the chance?

In this case the answer to that would be that we got a couple of overlooked players who project above where we drafted them. Fair enough. Worth the risk. We will see how well they turn out. But I would still shy away from Russians, all other things being equal.

He did get to UFA quickly - like many players do. Chicago is a great place as well. Maybe NYC was on his mind the whole time but I don't put that as a Russian thing. Trouba did the same.

I need more than one case, especially from a board that says "sample size" more often than I saw in my statistics classes.

Why take the chance? Kaprizov, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Vasilevskiy, Kovalchuk, Kuznetsov.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He did get to UFA quickly - like many players do. Chicago is a great place as well. Maybe NYC was on his mind the whole time but I don't put that as a Russian thing. Trouba did the same.

I need more than one case, especially from a board that says "sample size" more often than I saw in my statistics classes.

Why take the chance? Kaprizov, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Vasilevskiy, Kovalchuk, Kuznetsov.

Kaprizov stayed in the KHL until he was 24. That is one of the behaviours I'm objecting to. He deprived Minny of at least 2 good years, maybe his best 2.
Kucherov plays in 1 of the desirable markets.
Ovechkin - can't criticize. Has stayed his whole career with the team that drafted him and I would put Washington in the middle tier of places to play. Maybe upper middle, but it isn't NYC or LA.
Vasilevskiy like Kucherov. TB is not CBJ or Wpg.
Kovalchuk could be the poster boy for my point.
Kuznetsov, like Ovi.

I'm not about to do the amount of digging it would require to prove the point. You are right, it is a small sample. Fair or not, that perception exists and it at least partially explains why there haven't been more Russians drafted highly in recent years.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

In recent years tho are they even as bad as American college players going UFA? iIke Kaprizov waiting until he is 24 to come to the NHL isn't nearly as bad as Wheeler waiting until he is 22 so he can go straight to UFA.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In recent years tho are they even as bad as American college players going UFA? iIke Kaprizov waiting until he is 24 to come to the NHL isn't nearly as bad as Wheeler waiting until he is 22 so he can go straight to UFA.

I don't think those 2 things are quite comparable. Big difference between 22 and 24. But, yes NCAA players going that route can be very upsetting to the teams that drafted them. The players must pay quite an offsetting price to get there though. So that discourages it becoming more common.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Radulov is the other one. I'm not really concerned, happy to have him develop over there for a couple of years.

Reactions: TS Quint

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I get what you are saying but if the Jets scouts think the guy is best player available i want them to pick him. I would rather take the chance he comes and plays as a Jet than passing on him and he becomes a star on another team.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I get what you are saying but if the Jets scouts think the guy is best player available i want them to pick him. I would rather take the chance he comes and plays as a Jet than passing on him and he becomes a star on another team.

There is some give and take with that though. Wasting assets on pieces that never come is a good way to find yourself at the bottom of the standings year after year.

Klondiker98

Klondiker98
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2020
There is some give and take with that though. Wasting assets on pieces that never come is a good way to find yourself at the bottom of the standings year after year.
If you're worried about "wasting assets" ,why are you drafting college players who in 4-5 years decide that they don't want to play for the team that drafted them.
The 4 that immediately come to mind is Wheeler, Adam Fox , Kevin Hayes and Ryan McDonagh.
If you a GM and his scouts really like a player and think that player can help the organization (not withstanding character issues of course) you draft them.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I Love that this kid did the interview in English. What a great sign that he is trying everything that he can to “develop” as a person.

I think something like this bodes well for the Jets if you’re looking for any little sign!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The thing is that there is rarely much difference between the BPA and the 2nd BPA at any time - except for all those players who fall to Chevy. :laugh:

I don't blame Chevy for the players he picked, even the overager. All seem to be very talented and better than where we took them.

The result is nothing like I hoped for though. Even knowing that we probably got several steals, it is hard to adjust to getting nothing that I wanted. Give me a few days. :laugh:

Something that is morbidly a real consideration for us old guys is that we may not live to see any of these players hit the NHL. I have friends and acquaintances dropping like flies. It is just a reality of life. So I want Chevy to go all in this off-season and win the Cup in '22. I still won't want him going after expensive TD rentals though. :laugh:

Switlo

Oct 19, 2011

May i intervene? As a man who’s been raised and lived in post-soviet Russia… I just might say I have to disagree with you. The state is currently in decline, economically, in particular. As you know KHL is a state backed league. I’d say 80 percent of the teams are basically run by the local and federal government. A payday is not so lucrative now adays. To me, clearly KHL has lost its financial attraction, that’s why you see more Russians coming to this side of the pond. Life is pretty rubbish out there. Even for a high-paid professional athlete. Laws are harsh and meaningless. The country is run by the mob. The hockey federation and the league are shady to say at least. Lots of scandals and dirty stories. This is just my humble kind of inside opinion. I don’t live there anymore and haven’t been for 10 years, but, I think I stand my ground when I say that these days of guys bolting back to Homeland is over.

Anyways, I don’t care what country a Jet is from as long as one competes hard and brings glory to the great city of Winnipeg in which I was happy to live and study. Go Jets Go! We’ve got ourselves a nice pick, even a steal I hope.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Kaprizov stayed in the KHL until he was 24. That is one of the behaviours I'm objecting to. He deprived Minny of at least 2 good years, maybe his best 2.
Kucherov plays in 1 of the desirable markets.
Ovechkin - can't criticize. Has stayed his whole career with the team that drafted him and I would put Washington in the middle tier of places to play. Maybe upper middle, but it isn't NYC or LA.
Vasilevskiy like Kucherov. TB is not CBJ or Wpg.
Kovalchuk could be the poster boy for my point.
Kuznetsov, like Ovi.

I'm not about to do the amount of digging it would require to prove the point. You are right, it is a small sample. Fair or not, that perception exists and it at least partially explains why there haven't been more Russians drafted highly in recent years.

Let's not forget this gem from Bryzgalov:

"You don't want to go to Winnipeg, right? Not many people live there, not many Russian people there. Plus it's cold. There's no excitement except the hockey. No park, no entertaining for the families, for the kids. It's going to be tough life for your family.
"I've been there for just once, maybe twice, when I play in minors. It was really cold. I used the tunnels between the buildings to get to the arena. Because it was minus 40-something. Real cold."

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
May i intervene? As a man who’s been raised and lived in post-soviet Russia… I just might say I have to disagree with you. The state is currently in decline, economically, in particular. As you know KHL is a state backed league. I’d say 80 percent of the teams are basically run by the local and federal government. A payday is not so lucrative now adays. To me, clearly KHL has lost its financial attraction, that’s why you see more Russians coming to this side of the pond. Life is pretty rubbish out there. Even for a high-paid professional athlete. Laws are harsh and meaningless. The country is run by the mob. The hockey federation and the league are shady to say at least. Lots of scandals and dirty stories. This is just my humble kind of inside opinion. I don’t live there anymore and haven’t been for 10 years, but, I think I stand my ground when I say that these days of guys bolting back to Homeland is over.

Anyways, I don’t care what country a Jet is from as long as one competes hard and brings glory to the great city of Winnipeg in which I was happy to live and study. Go Jets Go! We’ve got ourselves a nice pick, even a steal I hope.
My impression is Russia is deteriorating fast. Oil price really killed them.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I won't argue with that. The KHL was always somewhat unstable and much more so since the price of oil collapsed. It may be much less of a factor than it once was.

And I don't care where a player is from, as long as he brings proper value to the team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Let's not forget this gem from Bryzgalov:

"You don't want to go to Winnipeg, right? Not many people live there, not many Russian people there. Plus it's cold. There's no excitement except the hockey. No park, no entertaining for the families, for the kids. It's going to be tough life for your family.
"I've been there for just once, maybe twice, when I play in minors. It was really cold. I used the tunnels between the buildings to get to the arena. Because it was minus 40-something. Real cold."

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad